Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Had to deal with an (almost) flat tire today.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-14, 08:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Mike - also wanted to add - don't ever use a plug...it's not a permanent fix - America's Tire or Discount Tire only fixes tire leaks the right way-- they dismount the tire and apply a patch on the inside on the tire.

Good luck on salvaging your punctured tire - sounds kinda bad.
I've never had any trouble with plugs on small punctures, if done properly. But this one may be too big for that...it may need a patch or new tire. Besides, in Virginia, two plugs on one tire won't pass a safety inspection (I've already got one plug on it from a very small nail puncture)
Old 11-16-14, 11:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, bit. I didn't post this story to highlight my own abilities. I for one, at my age, don't have as much physical strength or stamina as I did years ago, and, despite some knowledge, couldn't cope with a lot of the complexity of today's vehicles. I posted it primarily to show how important I thnk it is for automakers to include at least some kind of a spare, if not a real one. In a serious-puncture case like this (or similar one), a can of Fix-a-Flat would be just about worthless. Not only that, but after using the can, the tire often has to come off the rim and be cleaned out inside and re-balanced, as that pressurized goo accumulates unevenly inside the tire and can throw it off balance.
Interesting story

I decided to rotate my tires my self after getting a set of jack stands. Of course the last time they were rotated the dealership over torqued them making some lug nuts almost impossible to get off. I am a fit person, lift weights every week and I almost could not get a few over tightened lug nuts off, for two that would not budge, felt like they were welded on, I had to hammer on the tire iron several times to get them loose. I don't understand why some places over torque the lug nuts so much to where they are almost impossible to get off without a torque gun.

There would have been no way for someone older with less strength to get those lug nuts off especially on a cold winters day with limited time/access to tools.

I discovered one tire that was losing air had 2 thin nails in it. Took it to one tire place and they said they would not do it because I did not have enough tread left despite the fact that my tires have plenty of tread left. Of course they sold tires and wanted to sell me a new set of tires instead of just plugging the tire. I said no and went to good ole Pep Boys. Had to wait a while but they did plug the 2 nail holes for 19 bucks. Unfortunately I was in a hurry and did not really check things out and examine the tire. 2 weeks later when washing my car and checking the air I noticed the valve stem cap was missing, I suspected if they did not put the valve stem cap on that they likely did not give me back my lug tool for removing the lug nuts I gave them, of course it was gone but at least they replaced the cap and ordered me a new lug tool when I went back.

When I was going to college we were behind a minivan where their whole tire fell right off, they slammed the breaks on and we came inches from almost hitting the minivan.
Old 11-16-14, 01:26 PM
krismorr8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Realized yesterday a few minutes before someone was coming to look at my old car, that the front two tires were unbelievably low! After panicking for a minute, I called my husband who instructed me to use our new jump box with compressor to fill them up... in a matter of minutes, they were full! Such a handy thing to keep on hand
Old 11-16-14, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Interesting story
Thanks. Unfortunately, something like this can happen to even the most reliable cars. I haven't had any other significant problems with it......and of course, is not the car's fault if debris is lying all over the roads and not swept up.

I decided to rotate my tires my self after getting a set of jack stands. Of course the last time they were rotated the dealership over torqued them making some lug nuts almost impossible to get off. I am a fit person, lift weights every week and I almost could not get a few over tightened lug nuts off, for two that would not budge, felt like they were welded on, I had to hammer on the tire iron several times to get them loose. I don't understand why some places over torque the lug nuts so much to where they are almost impossible to get off without a torque gun.

There would have been no way for someone older with less strength to get those lug nuts off especially on a cold winters day with limited time/access to tools.
Next time you have a tire rotated or a wheel put on and off, ask the shop to use either a torque wrench (in most cases, to 75-80 ft-lbs., per manufacturer-specs) or a torque-stick, which will insure secure attachment without over-torquing and risking nut/thread.rotor damage.

I discovered one tire that was losing air had 2 thin nails in it. Took it to one tire place and they said they would not do it because I did not have enough tread left despite the fact that my tires have plenty of tread left. Of course they sold tires and wanted to sell me a new set of tires instead of just plugging the tire. I said no and went to good ole Pep Boys. Had to wait a while but they did plug the 2 nail holes for 19 bucks. Unfortunately I was in a hurry and did not really check things out and examine the tire. 2 weeks later when washing my car and checking the air I noticed the valve stem cap was missing, I suspected if they did not put the valve stem cap on that they likely did not give me back my lug tool for removing the lug nuts I gave them, of course it was gone but at least they replaced the cap and ordered me a new lug tool when I went back.
Depending on what the laws are in your state, you might have gotten by in the short run with the plugs (I have never had any trouble with plugs myself, if done properly), but I don't know what the safety-inspection procedures are in your state....or if your state has inspections. Here in VA where I live, we have annual safety-inspections, and two or more plugs in one tire will not pass.
Old 11-16-14, 07:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by krismorr8
Realized yesterday a few minutes before someone was coming to look at my old car, that the front two tires were unbelievably low! After panicking for a minute, I called my husband who instructed me to use our new jump box with compressor to fill them up... in a matter of minutes, they were full! Such a handy thing to keep on hand
Yes, I keep a portable plug-in air compressor in the trunk myself. It can come in handy not only for yourself, but to help someone else, too, if necessary. And they start at $20-30, and don't cost much.

If your tires are leaking significantly, though, I'd be honest and tell that to any prospective buyer....either that or get them repaired/ replaced. I'm a firm believer that one should treat others with the same honesty they would want given to them in return, particularly when buying a car.
Old 11-16-14, 07:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, folks, good and bad news. The bad news was that the rip in the tire, even in the direct-center of the tread, was too wide, and too much of a slice, for either a plug or a patch. It was a big strip of hard metal about an inch wide., and quite deep. So, I was stuck with a new tire. The good news was the decent price (by dealer standards), the fact that they had the 18" Continental Contipro Contact tire in stock, the fact that the other tires were all in good enough shape that adding a brand-new one didn't make much of a difference in asymmetrical grip/traction, and that they were able to get right on it. The technician also did a nice touch, and packed up the temporary spare and all of the jacking tools down in their proper slots under the trunk floor (I thought I'd have to do that myself) and left the trunk clean and neat (I had left my trunk-valuables, of course, back at home). He reset all of the computer/PSI-indicators, and now i just have to keep an eye on the PSI indicators for a few days to see if there are any more slow leaks or sensor-malfunctions.

They have nice Internet terminals in the waiting room. Both the service advisor and technician were quite interested when I showed them some of my CL car-reviews....some of which were Chevy and Buick products I had done at that very dealership, including a Corvette and an SS.

Oh.....and one other good nice piece of news. I saw today that some of my municipal bonds had just paid off a nice tax-free dividend/interest check...way more than what I had to spend today.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-16-14 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-16-14, 08:02 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Glad your ok Mike. I agree with bagwell in using a patch on the inside of the tire instead of plugs.
Old 11-16-14, 08:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus
Glad your ok Mike. I agree with bagwell in using a patch on the inside of the tire instead of plugs.
Thanks...everything's fine now, if the tire was mounted properly and the PSI sensors reset properly (they can be troublesome on some cars, but up to now, since brand-new, have been OK on mine). The next couple of days will tell. This center-tread slice was was just too big for even a a patch. They said patches would only work for holes/slices up to a certain size (which is true), and then you're essentially playing Russian Roulette. I have found from experience that, four small punctures, plugs work fine, for years with no problems. But you and Bagwell are both correct that for larger punctures that are still repairable, patches are better. In fact, Virginia safety-inspection laws will not pass a tire with more than one plug in it.
Old 11-16-14, 09:27 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

After my experience with the thrown tread, I went to Discount Tire for a couple of new skins. Despite the fact that the rear tires were badly worn, the manager INSISTED that the new tires go on the rear and the worn tires go up front. He wouldn't even consider putting my NEW tires on the front. I would have stormed out of there, but I got a terrific deal on two tires and couldn't afford to pass it up.

But I had to ask him why the policy, particularly on a very lightweight short-WB minivan with probably 70% of the dry weight on the front end . . . "Which tires do the steering? Which tires put the power to the ground? Which tires do the vast majority of the braking? And which tires, if suddenly blown, will put me in the ditch at speed? . . . and you still have the surpassing ignorance to put the new tires on the REAR axle?" Yeah, he couldn't explain himself - something about company policy.
Old 11-16-14, 09:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
After my experience with the thrown tread, I went to Discount Tire for a couple of new skins. Despite the fact that the rear tires were badly worn, the manager INSISTED that the new tires go on the rear and the worn tires go up front. He wouldn't even consider putting my NEW tires on the front. I would have stormed out of there, but I got a terrific deal on two tires and couldn't afford to pass it up.

But I had to ask him why the policy, particularly on a very lightweight short-WB minivan with probably 70% of the dry weight on the front end . . . "Which tires do the steering? Which tires put the power to the ground? Which tires do the vast majority of the braking? And which tires, if suddenly blown, will put me in the ditch at speed? . . . and you still have the surpassing ignorance to put the new tires on the REAR axle?" Yeah, he couldn't explain himself - something about company policy.
Agreed, Bob. That's my take, too.......simple common sense.