Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GMC Boss Vows To Change the Face of the Brand

Old 11-12-14, 08:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default GMC Boss Vows To Change the Face of the Brand

SAN DIEGO — GMC is taking the first steps to strengthen the brand as part of an effort to boost sales, a strategy that could lead to the addition of a Jeep Wrangler-inspired SUV and a luxury SUV flagship positioned above the GMC Yukon Denali SUV.

Buick-GMC Vice President Duncan Aldred told Edmunds: "I have come here to do a job and change the face of the brand."

Aldred was named to the post earlier this year and is responsible for sales, marketing and service.

During an interview with Edmunds, Aldred said he has high ambitions for the GMC brand.

"We are looking at everything," Aldred said. "What segments will grow? What segments will not? We are evaluating all possibilities that could really turbocharge the brand and the growth."

He said GMC currently is in the brainstorming stage and there are no plans to add additional models to the GMC line. However, he said "There is room throughout the range if you really start segmenting it. There is plenty of room everywhere in the hierarchy."

He added: "You could consider a real flagship over Yukon."

A possible price point was not suggested.

A subcompact crossover that is about the size of the Buick Encore is another possibility, as well as an "active all-road, Wrangler-esque type of vehicle," Aldred said. "There are definitely more big segments we could play in if we want to."

The GMC brand currently offers the GMC Canyon and Sierra pickup trucks, Terrain and Acadia crossovers, Yukon SUV and Savana van.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/gmc-...the-brand.html
Old 11-13-14, 09:22 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't a car above the denali cross compete with the escalade?
Old 11-13-14, 09:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Wouldn't a car above the denali cross compete with the escalade?
Compete? An SUV above the Denali would BE an Escalade.
Old 11-13-14, 09:49 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Compete? An SUV above the Denali would BE an Escalade.
I agree, its a poor decision
Old 11-13-14, 10:10 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still think that during GM's bankruptcy and reorganization, GMC should have been positioned as a trim level on Chevy products - maybe just "Denali" or something - and not a standalone brand.

I know that GMC is profitable and gave Buick/GMC dealers trucks and SUVs to sell, but as a long term strategy, I still do not think that the existence of a brand whose entire range is essentially content/chrome-laden versions of lesser models is particularly compelling.

If we had a Tahoe Denali, Suburban Denali and Silverado Denali, all with extra chrome/leather/wood, I really don't think anyone would miss GMC.
Old 11-13-14, 10:16 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I still think that during GM's bankruptcy and reorganization, GMC should have been positioned as a trim level on Chevy products - maybe just "Denali" or something - and not a standalone brand.

I know that GMC is profitable and gave Buick/GMC dealers trucks and SUVs to sell, but as a long term strategy, I still do not think that the existence of a brand whose entire range is essentially content/chrome-laden versions of lesser models is particularly compelling.

If we had a Tahoe Denali, Suburban Denali and Silverado Denali, all with extra chrome/leather/wood, I really don't think anyone would miss GMC.
Like you noted, it's really for the Buick dealers to offer trucks and SUV's for added profitability. So they're the ones that would really miss GMC.
Old 11-13-14, 10:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Like you noted, it's really for the Buick dealers to offer trucks and SUV's for added profitability. So they're the ones that would really miss GMC.
With most GMC products being essentially Chevy trucks and SUVs with a little more trim and equipment, I see little reason why GMC was even kept in the first place during the big reorganization several years ago. IMO, they are wasting money on a division that does little else but clone Chevy products. At least with Buick, the average Buick, though sometimes using the same platform, is markedly different from the average Chevy....though both the (latest) Impala and Lacrosse drive quite impressively.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-13-14 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-13-14, 11:09 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Curious to see how a Wrangler competitor would play out
Old 11-13-14, 12:12 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With most GMC products being essentially Chevy trucks and SUVs with a little more trim and equipment, I see little reason why GMC was even kept in the first place during the big reorganization several years ago. IMO, they are wasting money on a division that does little else but clone Chevy products At least with Buick, the average Buick, though sometimes using the same platform, is markedly different from the average Chevy....though both the (latest) Impala and Lacrosse drive quite impressively.
The reason, as I and others have indicated, is to give the Buick dealerships trucks and full size SUV's to sell. These are highly profitable units that help bolster each franchise's finances, as Buick volumes alone couldn't support the business operations of an independent dealership. And in terms of the costs/investment it takes to keep GMC, it's pretty minimal, just some different metal stampings and design cues. As far as return on investment, GMC makes huge sense to keep around.
Old 11-13-14, 12:15 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

GM made the fleet sales argument. I would have liked to seen GMC go and Pontiac stay, America needs more value oriented "sports" cars.
Old 11-13-14, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doge
GM made the fleet sales argument. I would have liked to seen GMC go and Pontiac stay, America needs more value oriented "sports" cars.
At the time of Pontiac's demise, though, outside of the interesting Solstice roadster and the perky G8 sports-sedan, most of the division's American-market offerings was, IMO, a line of some pretty lousy products. Yes, the G6 hardtop convertible, like Chrysler's old Sebring/200 convertible, offered fun in the sun for a low affordable price. But, it had an insultingly cheap stark interior, and, like the Chrysler, it was poorly-made with many junk-level parts.
Old 11-14-14, 12:58 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A trim level above the Denali would put it square in line with Caddy. That would be ridiculous. Hopefully they nix that idea. Although a wrangler competitor would be interesting.
Old 11-14-14, 07:21 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They cannot keep Denali's on the lot, it will take 12 weeks for me to get what I want. Some people do not want the caddy name plate, but would take a higher trim level GMC. I could also see them doing something above the Denali with a 500+ HP.

Example the Ford King Ranch and Platinum are both high level offerings for the F-150 but the demographic base for those 2 is completely different. The more offerings has worked great for Ford as people want more options.
Old 11-14-14, 08:55 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by J.P.
They cannot keep Denali's on the lot, it will take 12 weeks for me to get what I want. Some people do not want the caddy name plate, but would take a higher trim level GMC. I could also see them doing something above the Denali with a 500+ HP.

Example the Ford King Ranch and Platinum are both high level offerings for the F-150 but the demographic base for those 2 is completely different. The more offerings has worked great for Ford as people want more options.
It would essentially be a cheater Escalade, kind of like the pheaton was a cheater continental.

I see your point, some people want a nice car without the image of nice car.
Old 11-14-14, 01:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
They cannot keep Denali's on the lot, it will take 12 weeks for me to get what I want.
You can also at least partially thank 4-year-record-low gas prices for that. Cheaper gas often stimulates the sales of large trucks and SUVs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GMC Boss Vows To Change the Face of the Brand