Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Badge Overload?

Old 11-11-14, 06:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Badge Overload?

Was on the way to work today when I pulled behind a Subaru Outback and counted FIVE (5) badges on the rear alone. A large 'SUBARU' a 'Symmetrical AWD' below that, Subaru logo center and on the right 'OUTBACK' and 'PZEV' below that. Personally I like badges, but I also don't mind the clean look. That said, 5 is a little too many IMO. Any other makes or models with excessive amounts of badging or any thoughts on the matter? Discuss!

Old 11-11-14, 06:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Yeah, clutter = not good in my book.

Though admittedly, Lexus is not any better in overseas market where the brand is still new:

Take a 2015 IS worst case:

"Lexus" "L" "IS 250" "AWD" "F-Sport" Then add the dealer badge and that makes six!
Old 11-11-14, 07:16 PM
Hoovey689

That's a great example. 2011 saw the removal of the 'LEXUS' on the left hand side here in the States and as of MY15 Lexus of a particular 'F-Sport' trim see placement in the aforementioned locations and two fenders now
Old 11-11-14, 07:20 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

5 is a bit much, most manufacturers are losing the actual car company names on the back of the car and just use the logo/emblem. PZEV doesn't need to be an emblem either IMO.

cleaner IMO....
Attached Thumbnails Badge Overload?-capture.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 11-12-14 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-11-14, 07:33 PM
Hoovey689

Yes, PZEV really doesn't need to be there lol
Old 11-11-14, 08:30 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
5 is a bit much, most manufacturers are losing the actual car company names on the back of the car and just use the logo/emblem. PZEV doesn't need to be an emblem either IMO.

cleaner IMO....
Brands that have strong awareness and recognition can drop the wording, but until that happens most feel the need to keep emblem and text. Lexus took over 20 years to do so. Subaru, while popular amongst enthusiasts and niche geographies, is still low in awareness even with a longer history in the U.S.

But generally I'm a fan of reduced badging/stickers/clutter.

Toyota Tacoma is another huge badge fiend..

In addition to these you could potentially have the TRD Sport or Off-Road stickers on the side of the bed.
Old 11-11-14, 09:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Probably wouldn't matter if there were a dozen badges on the rear end (except that they can be a PITA to wash and wax). The Outback has a devoted core of buyers who love its versatility, reliability, winter traction and overall usefulness. I owned one myself for more than six years, and, if I need another vehicle of its capabilities, wouldn't hesitate to get another one.
Old 11-12-14, 03:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

I dont mind some badges... depends on the car and design.
Old 11-12-14, 05:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

1 or 2 word badges is enough. 1 logo is enough.
Old 11-12-14, 06:37 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The back of my Roadster just says "TESLA"...that's it. The sport model has a little, modest "Sport" badge in script, but nothing more.
Old 11-12-14, 07:27 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Probably wouldn't matter if there were a dozen badges on the rear end (except that they can be a PITA to wash and wax). The Outback has a devoted core of buyers who love its versatility, reliability, winter traction and overall usefulness. I owned one myself for more than six years, and, if I need another vehicle of its capabilities, wouldn't hesitate to get another one.
You've completely missed the point of this thread. The Outback from OP was an example and nothing to do with 'owners views'. The question is how YOU FEEL about badging on vehicles.
Old 11-12-14, 07:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

On a pickup truck like the Tacoma above, doesn't really bother me as much as a smaller car for some reason. Maybe the flat rear slab of the pickup truck is plain and the badges add a bit of life.

One badge type I would like to see gone is trim/equipment-level. Toyota admittedly is a big culprit of that. CE, LE, XLE, and so on... Personally, if it's a mechanically updated model like an SE/XSE Camry (sport suspension, etc) over standard Camry, go ahead and put the special badge.

A couple others that come to mind I'd like to see gone is the domestics' "Flex Fuel" and Nissan's "Xtronic CVT". Totally unnecessary and should belong in the fuel door or owner's manual only.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 11-12-14 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-12-14, 10:05 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The little silver GM badges they put on their cars from about 2007 to bankruptcy always cracked me up. That went away after bankruptcy lol.

On pickup trucks, I always liked the old spelled out letters:

Nobody needs to read all this nonsense. I guess if they're trying to market to rednecks who follow Nascar:

Old 11-12-14, 10:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

It's really more of a gimmick or insecure thing. The thinking is, throw as much wording in front of people's faces since it's free advertising. Quite tacky. A good car wins on it's own merits and long-running reputation for quality, function, and style- not on exterior advertisments. Subaru really doesn't need to be doing this, as they already have a good reputation and following. The tree-hugging advertisement is also an uncharacteristic display of desperateness, as it comes across as tacky and corny.
Old 11-13-14, 04:11 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Was on the way to work today when I pulled behind a Subaru Outback and counted FIVE (5) badges on the rear alone. A large 'SUBARU' a 'Symmetrical AWD' below that, Subaru logo center and on the right 'OUTBACK' and 'PZEV' below that. Personally I like badges, but I also don't mind the clean look. That said, 5 is a little too many IMO. Any other makes or models with excessive amounts of badging or any thoughts on the matter? Discuss!

Actually I'm fine with more badges:

1) There may be people out there that don't know what this means:

2) Then they see "SUBARU"........oh ok so that's a Subaru. Now I know

3) "Symmetrical AWD" is a selling point for Subaru and that badge is used to identify its drivetrain.

4) "Outback" - Of course you need to identify the model of your car.............unless you want to be like Bentley. Regardless, it's not always that what works for one works for another brand

5) PZEV - it's good to let the public know that your vehicle produces low emissions (especially if you're one of those eco-hippie types)

Remember, not every company has trademark/logo recognition at the level of Starbucks, McDonalds, Nike or even Apple Computer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Badge Overload?