Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Badge Overload?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-14, 05:52 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Brands that have strong awareness and recognition can drop the wording, but until that happens most feel the need to keep emblem and text. Lexus took over 20 years to do so. Subaru, while popular amongst enthusiasts and niche geographies, is still low in awareness even with a longer history in the U.S.

But generally I'm a fan of reduced badging/stickers/clutter.

Toyota Tacoma is another huge badge fiend..

In addition to these you could potentially have the TRD Sport or Off-Road stickers on the side of the bed.
Hmm, your Florida plates have expired
Old 11-13-14, 07:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Toyota Tacoma is another huge badge fiend..

In addition to these you could potentially have the TRD Sport or Off-Road stickers on the side of the bed.
They did reduce the number of badges in the Tacoma in recent years on some models. They took the SR5 badge off the TRD Sport and Off Road models. My 2011 Tacoma 4WD TRD Sport simply had "Toyota Tacoma V6" on the tailgate, though it did have the decals on the box sides.

Not the greatest picture, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Badge Overload?-img_0655.jpg  

Last edited by JDR76; 11-13-14 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-13-14, 07:49 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Actually I'm fine with more badges:

1) There may be people out there that don't know what this means:

2) Then they see "SUBARU"........oh ok so that's a Subaru. Now I know

3) "Symmetrical AWD" is a selling point for Subaru and that badge is used to identify its drivetrain.

4) "Outback" - Of course you need to identify the model of your car.............unless you want to be like Bentley. Regardless, it's not always that what works for one works for another brand

5) PZEV - it's good to let the public know that your vehicle produces low emissions (especially if you're one of those eco-hippie types)

Remember, not every company has trademark/logo recognition at the level of Starbucks, McDonalds, Nike or even Apple Computer
True, but even Acura has removed the word 'Acura' from the back of the car...

Old 11-13-14, 09:12 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
They did reduce the number of badges in the Tacoma in recent years on some models. They took the SR5 badge off the TRD Sport and Off Road models. My 2011 Tacoma 4WD TRD Sport simply had "Toyota Tacoma V6" on the tailgate, though it did have the decals on the box sides.

Not the greatest picture, but you get the idea.
That they did! Just showing how many they did have at one point. Toyota has worked at cleaning up badging on the rear of the trucks. New Tundra has Toyota molded into the tailgate handle and Tundra stamped into the gate itself. Only chrome badge bit is the 4x4.
Old 11-13-14, 09:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

That they did! Just showing how many they did have at one point. Toyota has worked at cleaning up badging on the rear of the trucks. New Tundra has Toyota molded into the tailgate handle and Tundra stamped into the gate itself. Only chrome badge bit is the 4x4.
Indeed, though to be fair, you can still get a Tacoma optioned like the one you pictured, that does have all those badges. You can still get a Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 PreRunner, and badged exactly that way...
Old 11-13-14, 10:17 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
True, but even Acura has removed the word 'Acura' from the back of the car...

True............but only for the North American market, elsewhere, the 'Acura' nameplate is still there.

Badge Overload?-bupji2m.jpg

Personally, I prefer if a letter nameplate is stated.......but I'm cool with either

Last edited by Blackraven; 11-13-14 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-13-14, 10:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

You've completely missed the point of this thread.

The question is how YOU FEEL about badging on vehicles.
Well, I thought I made that clear in my previous post. I specifically stated that badges and chrome-names can be a PITA to wash and wax.....you often have to get the sponge and cloths into tiny little crack-spaces to wipe off the dirt and/or buff the polish/wax. It's best done by persons (or children) with very small fingers.

As far as simply LOOKING at the badges (or as a non-owner), I don't find it a big issue. And I myself like exterior chrome....up to an extent, the more the better. (unless it is grossly overused, like on late-1950s big American cars, or on things which would blind the driver with sun- glare...that is why chrome is now banned on wiper-arms). Flat-black, sport-oriented trim and badges on the exterior is just not my bag.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-13-14 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-13-14, 06:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Way too many badges on the Subi
Old 11-13-14, 07:55 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Way too many badges on the Subi
Agreed.

I don't think the owners care about a clean, tasteful look though.....they generally have 50 bumper stickers on the back.
Old 11-13-14, 08:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Agreed.

I don't think the owners care about a clean, tasteful look though.....they generally have 50 bumper stickers on the back.
Somewhat of a stereotype, but, yes, some Outback owners are like that. My former Outback, though, never had a single bumper sticker....I just don't use them. I agree with you that they usually aren't tasteful.
Old 11-14-14, 09:41 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The badges....in case you forget on a daily basis what your driving. Now the "infotainment" system on the dash reminds you too. As well as the steering wheel. So people PLEASE remember what your driving! Then they will stop this madness. What was I driving again?......
Old 11-14-14, 03:58 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
The badges....in case you forget on a daily basis what your driving. Now the "infotainment" system on the dash reminds you too. As well as the steering wheel. So people PLEASE remember what your driving! Then they will stop this madness. What was I driving again?......
hahahaha

I remember counting the number of Cadillac emblems on my old car one day. If you counted the wreath and crest as one emblem, along with the scripts, then it was over 30, counting inside, outside, trunk, under the hood, etc So ostentatious lol

Old 11-15-14, 02:08 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I only like one logo - Mercedes Tristar.
For all others, I love their names on trunk, rather than the logo.
FORD
TOYOTA
CHEVROLET
LEXUS
ACURA
Old 11-28-14, 11:33 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Here's a tricky one made into the chrome

Old 11-28-14, 01:13 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
hahahaha

I remember counting the number of Cadillac emblems on my old car one day. If you counted the wreath and crest as one emblem, along with the scripts, then it was over 30, counting inside, outside, trunk, under the hood, etc So ostentatious lol

That fleetwood brougham was a car to be had! Loved it. lol

Quick Reply: Badge Overload?