Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A New Acura Integra?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-14, 10:22 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A New Acura Integra?

A New Acura Integra? “Just Wait,” We’re Told
http://blog.caranddriver.com/a-new-a...ait-were-told/
Are we finally going to get a replacement for the Acura Integra/RSX? You could see that Acura chief designer Dave Marek wanted to spill the beans here at the SEMA show about the plans for Honda’s long-floundering luxury brand, but he was prevented by the watchful presence of a company PR rep. All he was able to say was this: “A performance brand needs a flagship and it needs an accessible sport car. Not a sports car, but a sport car.”

As a hint, Acura used its SEMA stage to show a TLX sedan modified by Los Angeles–based Galpin Auto Sports with a body kit, lowered suspension, 19-inch wheels, and Wilwood six-piston-front/four-piston-rear brakes on 14-inch discs. The TLX is painted Andaro Blue, a vibrant hue that will be available on future production cars; the mid-size sedan, however, is not likely to set tuners on fire as did the Integra and the RSX.

Marek said the company knows that it has a lot of rebuilding to do to restore Honda’s luxury brand back to its 1990s heyday. Back then, the Integra was an attainable car for young enthusiasts and the core of its claim to performance credibility, while the NSX was an exotic aspirational flagship. Several Integras and NSXs were spotted at this year’s SEMA show, even though they’ve both been out of production for years. A new NSX comes in 2015, but Marek said it’ll be a few more flips of the calendar, at least not until 2017, before the plan results in a more affordable performance car for Acura showrooms.

He wouldn’t be any more specific
, acknowledging only that Honda erred in the past trying to make the brand too upscale, leaving behind its rabid enthusiast audience. Then the financial crisis hit along with the Japanese earthquake, rocking Honda on its heels and distracting Acura from its turnaround plans.

“There are changes coming, and then there are more changes coming,” said Marek. The refreshed Acura ILX, which will debut at the L.A. auto show in mid-November, will hint at the sportier direction Acura wants to take its entry-level offerings. “It’s not what our direction is going to be, but it’s a step in that direction,” he said. Eventually Acura will expand its model portfolio from the current collection of sedans and crossovers. “There are lots of resources and activity going into making Acura back into what it was.”
Old 11-06-14, 10:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Had a 91, great car.

Old 11-06-14, 10:59 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

They sure could use some Type-S coupe with SH-AWD slotted below the NSX for added attainability and excitement to the brand
Old 11-06-14, 12:43 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I just hope they bring back using actual name for each model, Integra, Legend..........was so cool, everyone instantly know exactly what car it is and they sound so cool

Now the alphabet soup of model name...........RSX, TL, TSX, ILX, RLX, TLX, NSX...........or better yet name the entire line Q Not to mention they all look the same Seriously nobody know what the hell anything is

I think it is design to confuse, and it work. My mom asked me the other day if an Infiniti Q50 is a top of the line flagship!? She is thinking it is a successor to the Q45 with a bigger engine. It works, the entry level sounds like the flagship now
Old 11-06-14, 01:35 PM
Levi68
Pole Position

What ever car, it has to be RWD.
Old 11-07-14, 12:36 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

the rumor of S2000 comes back as an Acura? Yes Please.
Old 11-07-14, 05:31 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Had a 91, great car.

I owned a 92, and just picked up a mint 93 to keep as a pastime...and I agree, an overall GREAT car

i would definitely like to see an Integra again, has to be FWD and along the lines of the outgoing Type-R. in all honesty, a civic coupe formed to Acura styling with upgraded suspension and a stout K-series motors is basically there already for the brand. just needs the OK
Old 11-07-14, 07:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I just hope they bring back using actual name for each model, Integra, Legend........
they won't.

Originally Posted by Levi68
no chance.
Old 11-07-14, 08:55 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Levi68
Why? So it can then be pricey and not affordable to younger buyers.
Old 11-07-14, 10:57 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by UDel
Do you know of any existing rwd honda platforms? Honda is not one to develop a chassis just for one model.
Old 11-07-14, 11:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Do you know of any existing rwd honda platforms? Honda is not one to develop a chassis just for one model.
The S2000 chassis was one-off so was the NSX. They are capable of developing RWD chassis'. Question is, do they have the ***** to release it without letting the number-crunching accountants get in the way.
Old 11-07-14, 11:39 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by GSteg
The S2000 chassis was one-off so was the NSX. They are capable of developing RWD chassis'. Question is, do they have the ***** to release it without letting the number-crunching accountants get in the way.
Key word here is was, everything has bee parts been special these days aside from the transmissions.
Old 11-08-14, 08:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Originally Posted by doge
doge, you're agreeing with UDel - a rwd platform by Honda for an Integra-like car would inevitably make it more expensive, and you're right, they don't have a platform for it.
Old 11-08-14, 10:42 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Toyota managed to make the GT86 RWD, and it is not pricey.
Old 11-08-14, 11:16 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man, I had an Integra Type R and I still miss that thing. I'd love to see Acura go back to it's roots. I don't have much faith that they will though.

Quick Reply: A New Acura Integra?