Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MB V-Class will be in U.S. 2015, no more Sienna/Odyssey for the wealthy

Old 11-07-14, 07:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In the old days, of course, that problem was addressed with aftermarket seat-covers. But today, seat-mounted air bags, heating/cooling mechanisms in the seats, headrests, and extensive seat motors/wiring have made the installation of those traditional seat covers either very difficult or not possible at all. In addition, they take away from the enjoyment of the car....you can't enjoy the nice upholstery that you paid for.
no point in getting something luxury like this only to cover up the seats. I would get a cloth interior minivan for the kids to trash.
Old 11-07-14, 07:57 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Leather is a lot easier to clean up than cloth when spills happen. With that said, some simple rules in the car can really avoid the situation of kids trashing cars. It really isn't that hard - sippy/spill proof cups and snacks that aren't sticky or messy to clean up. Done.
Old 11-07-14, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
no point in getting something luxury like this only to cover up the seats. I would get a cloth interior minivan for the kids to trash.
That's just my point. Today's seats simply have so many high-tech features in them that it is difficult or impossible to use traditional aftermarket covers. And, yes....why buy something once you can't use? Doesn't make sense.

With cloth seats, GM, in its Chevy/Geo-brand vehicles, used to have a good idea for new cars.......a factory-applied ScotchGuard treatment, which offers some protection yet still allows the seat-fabricitself to be enjoyed. The treatment, of course, be done manually simply by buying and holding a spray-can, but the application will not be a through or complete as in the factory.
Old 11-07-14, 09:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
This is not a mini-van.....it looks more like a cargo van to me..
it is a cargo van with luxury passenger variant... when i was a kid, they were the most popular utility vans around.
Old 11-08-14, 07:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is a cargo van with luxury passenger variant... when i was a kid, they were the most popular utility vans around.
Were you in America or Europe back then? In the America of the 1970s, if you are old enough to remember, custom multi-colored paint jobs and interiors in full-size RWD vans were the rage. That was in the days before minivans (except for the famous VW Microbus).
Old 11-09-14, 09:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
This looks like a cargo van! And yes, please bring us Toyota Alphard!!!!
I saw a Ford Transit at the mall last week, fitted out inside like a minivan...
Old 11-09-14, 10:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Were you in America or Europe back then? In the America of the 1970s, if you are old enough to remember, custom multi-colored paint jobs and interiors in full-size RWD vans were the rage. That was in the days before minivans (except for the famous VW Microbus).
Europe... they were used for work as much as Ford vans were in US. Passenger versions were much less popular, as VW was cheaper.

These days, they are not used as much, we have a lot of small vans that are very popular, from the likes of Citroen/Peugot, Ford, VW and Fiat.
Old 11-09-14, 10:46 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2nd gen 2006 Sienna rocked. Lot's of soft touch materials that didn't make a squeek in eight years of ownership.That seemed to have disappeared with the 3rd gen but they brought it back with the 4th gen somewhat.
This Mercedes reminds me of the VW van that VW bought from Chrysler.
Old 11-09-14, 04:16 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Best looking van out right now is the Grand Caravan with the RT package. Blacked out grill, lights, wheels, at least they're trying to make it look less dorky. I don't think I'd rock a red one, but that treatment would look good on a gunmetal grey one as well.

Also I was on Dodge's website, I didn't realize how cheap they have their vans priced. Cheapest one is $21k, comes pretty well equipped, same engine/trans as the more expensive ones.
Old 11-09-14, 04:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Best looking van out right now is the Grand Caravan with the RT package. Blacked out grill, lights, wheels, at least they're trying to make it look less dorky. I don't think I'd rock a red one, but that treatment would look good on a gunmetal grey one as well.

Also I was on Dodge's website, I didn't realize how cheap they have their vans priced. Cheapest one is $21k, comes pretty well equipped, same engine/trans as the more expensive ones.
Problem is, the Caravan might (?) not be in production much longer. For some inexplicable reason (even with its sales success) Fiat/Chrysler management wants to phase it out and leave the Chrysler Town and Country as the sole offering.
Old 11-09-14, 04:57 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Problem is, the Caravan might (?) not be in production much longer. For some inexplicable reason (even with its sales success) Fiat/Chrysler management wants to phase it out and leave the Chrysler Town and Country as the sole offering.
Used to be that there were dealers that sold only Dodge, others that sold only Plymouth, Chrysler and Plymouth, etc. That's why Dodge, Chrysler and Plymouth each got their own minivan, to keep their dealer network happy.

Now days almost all of the Chrysler only and Dodge only dealers are gone. It makes no sense to produce two slightly different versions of the same van if they're both sitting on the same lot right next to eachother. The cost savings of not tooling up different bumper covers, grills, badges, and other trim bits is probably significant, which Chrysler could use to improve other areas of the van.(or they just pocket the savings)
Old 11-09-14, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Used to be that there were dealers that sold only Dodge, others that sold only Plymouth, Chrysler and Plymouth, etc. That's why Dodge, Chrysler and Plymouth each got their own minivan, to keep their dealer network happy.

Now days almost all of the Chrysler only and Dodge only dealers are gone. It makes no sense to produce two slightly different versions of the same van if they're both sitting on the same lot right next to eachother. The cost savings of not tooling up different bumper covers, grills, badges, and other trim bits is probably significant, which Chrysler could use to improve other areas of the van.(or they just pocket the savings)
Well, yes, the consolidation of Dodge and Chrysler into single dealerships is a valid point....that's true. But, still, one reason for the Caravan's success is that many customers saw it as a less-expensive alternative to the TC, though the TC did seem to have more sound insulation and a general edge in comfort. The TC will now (probably) have to offer a somewhat decontented, entry-level version to take the place of the Caravan. Chrysler has already had to do that with its 200 series (while also keeping a fully-loaded V6 version) because of the loss of the Dodge Avenger and Stratus.
Old 11-09-14, 06:04 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Attached Thumbnails MB V-Class will be in U.S. 2015, no more Sienna/Odyssey for the wealthy-lipstick-pig.jpg  
Old 11-10-14, 03:36 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks like luxury minivan will be the next new segment.

MB is bringing over the V-Class as the Metris.

Now looks like there will be an Acura Odyssey:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/10/a...van-spy-shots/

That means Lexus will probably make one too, hopefully
Old 11-10-14, 04:08 PM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BNR34
Looks like luxury minivan will be the next new segment.

MB is bringing over the V-Class as the Metris.

Now looks like there will be an Acura Odyssey:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/10/a...van-spy-shots/

That means Lexus will probably make one too, hopefully
This is a great news!
now there goes my dream to buy the NSX when its out... family comes first

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MB V-Class will be in U.S. 2015, no more Sienna/Odyssey for the wealthy