Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just drove the new Mercedes C300 4 Matic...my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 03:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts
Default Just drove the new Mercedes C300 4 Matic...my thoughts

I was up near the MB dealer this afternoon for a business appointment, and after having talked with one of my sales guys about the C300 loaner he got when his 2012 C300 was in for service and how much he loved it, so I figured I'd stop by and drive one before going home.

Outside I like the car very much in the right trim. The luxury trim is a little soft, a little too rounded, and a little plain. Much like the E Class and less so, but still the S Class. One thing that I found quite odd was the grille on the luxury 300 has baffles that open and close. At first I thought the car I walked up to was a hybrid or something because of the closed silver baffles in the luxury shield grille. But the salesman set me straight. Weird:

I like the traditional MB grille and the stand up 3 pointed star, but I don't care for how this grille looks with these baffles closed. Like on the E Class, I like everything else about the sport package outside, but like the luxury grille.

The styling language from the S Class works here, but looks a little bulbous and chunky from some angles and in some trims. Much as the C Class has always looked to me with big car styling on a small car.

Inside, the car is just beautiful. Best in class interior by a wide margin. Every material is good quality, and the switchgear in its metalized finish is very nice. Wood grains are very nice, real metal door handles are a nice touch. Polished aluminum pedals. Seats are comfortable and supportive. The nav screen doesn't bother me that much in person once you get used to it. Gauges, while plain are clear and functional. I would prefer TFT or electroluminescent units.

The back seat though, is small. With the drivers seat adjusted for my comfort, there isn't room to put my feet under the front seat without moving them sideways when sitting behind the driver. Typical for this class but too small for me.

The unit I drove was a C300 with the turbo 4. Engine was very peppy, smooth as you could hope for a 4 to be, a little buzzy and brash in places. I would definately get the 6. Ride is very good, sound isolation is very good. The auto-start-stop feature when idling is a little rough compared to a 328 I rode in recently, I'm told the V6 is smoother. Sport + vs Comfort gives the car a great duality, not unlike the AVS Sport + Lexus produces, which I like a lot.

Overall I liked the car VERY much. I went into it thinking it might be something that I would be interested in trading the GS on after the lease is up. Its not...its significantly smaller, and while it rides great and is very quiet, great styling and a great quality interior its not as refined and substantial as the GS...but compared to the other cars in its class this would be the car I would buy over an IS, 3 Series, A4, etc etc.

Makes me VERY interested to see the new E Class. Based on this and based on the S Class, something in between the two of them say with a price tag optioned like I want in the high $60s, might be right up my alley.
Old 11-05-14, 03:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Those active shutters look odd compared to Benz grills of past but awesome technology nonetheless. A new standard in class via the interior. Hope it compels others to improve. Would love to sample a C400.
Old 11-05-14, 03:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I think personally the shutters would look better black. I had hoped to drive a 400, but he didn't have one on the lot and would have had to have gotten one from their satellite lot, since I wasn't buying I wanted to make it as hassle free for him as possible.
Old 11-05-14, 03:48 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just hope Lexus gets a wake up call in regards to their falling levels of interior quality, such as the 3IS

Old 11-05-14, 03:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
I just hope Lexus gets a wake up call in regards to their falling levels of interior quality, such as the 3IS
I would not say the 3IS has an interior quality problem when compared to the 3 Series or the A4. Its just that the C Class has an exceptionally and unusually high quality interior for the class. I don't feel the C has an interior thats any better than whats in the GS, for instance. MB has raised the bar here, and the IS, 3, A5, ATS, etc were all designed when the old bar was in place.

For instance, I sat in an E350 next to the C300 in the showroom...I think the C's interior is as nice, or nicer in terms of material quality and finish as the E. Certainly in styling the C's interior is far better.

Bear in mind too that the C is expensive. The unit I drove was $53k and did not even have leather seats, and like I said it was the 4 cyl. A fully loaded IS doesn't top $50k with the V6.
Old 11-05-14, 03:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree on you about C... in right trim, it is awesome... and pretty expensive.
Old 11-05-14, 04:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

what i'm psyched about is that the 'luxury bar' has been raised, as more mainstream offerings have also become MUCH improved in materials, finishes, design, etc.
Old 11-05-14, 04:14 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just came back from MB dealer, the picture is better than it actually look. S class, yeah, very high class, the rest C, E, G are all hideous IMO, the stupid tom tom navigation looking screen, the cheap sunroof cover that allow sun rays thru, dont even get me going with the steering feel and handling. I drove, C, E class
Old 11-05-14, 05:09 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Looking to trade in my 09 C350 next year for a C300, or a C400 if I can make it work. I dislike being forced into getting 4matic on the 400 and paying the extra $2000. To get this car to look right, the sport pack is a must. You will be pleased to know that if you get the luxury trim with the distronic plus package, you do not get the active grill shutters, so at least the part exists and you can swap it out.

People are currently reporting as much as 12% off MSRP which is a good sign for me Its certainly expensive, but a Mercedes should be expensive.
Old 11-05-14, 05:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FastTags
Just came back from MB dealer, the picture is better than it actually look. S class, yeah, very high class, the rest C, E, G are all hideous IMO, the stupid tom tom navigation looking screen, the cheap sunroof cover that allow sun rays thru, dont even get me going with the steering feel and handling. I drove, C, E class
I totally don't agree about the C. The E I've never cared for, but the C I think is sharp looking in sport trim, beautiful inside and great to drive. All the reviews agree too.

Next year the RWD will be available RX...
Old 11-05-14, 06:57 PM
Hoovey689

That wood trim is awesome
Old 11-05-14, 07:29 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Next year the RWD will be available RX...
The RWD will be available in the 300 form, not the 400.
Old 11-05-14, 07:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
Didn't know that...
Old 11-05-14, 08:00 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I just recently went on a test drive with a friend who picked up a C400. One that that stood out to me was the small wheel size and huge wheel gap on the lux model. It doesn't quite work for me.

The C400 is more refined and the Airmatic ride really smooths things out. I'm a big fan of the looks with the sport pack...he got a black one with a red interior. It looks great! Honestly this just made me more excited for the next E-class.

Also- the C400's power plant will be short-lived. Although it will be supplanted by the C450 next year, the I6 turbo engines will replace the turbo V6's in a few years.
Old 11-05-14, 09:24 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by RXSF
WHHHYYY??

Quick Reply: Just drove the new Mercedes C300 4 Matic...my thoughts