Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just drove the new Mercedes C300 4 Matic...my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-14, 11:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Just wanted to say that the C300 engine is not twin turbo, its single. Only the C400 has the twin turbo
Originally Posted by tea
that's what i thought, but many in here were saying that it's a twin turbo. had me second guessing myself. I haven't tested the new c300, but if it is anything like the last gen turbo 4, i'd avoid it. I've driven plenty of last gen's turbo 4 whenever i bring my old C300 (V6) and it was very coarse. Sounded horrible. Only benefit i'd say is that it's lighter and a little more nimble than the old 3.0 V6. However, it was no where as smooth, quiet, or refined as a V6. Also, the transmissions were horrible in the last gen. Hoping they gave the new model a better tranmission
My apologies.
I misread it.
When I read it properly, it is the 2.2 liter four cylinder diesel that is twin turbo.
Old 11-11-14, 03:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
IS AWD starts at $38,700 and the 338i X Drive starts at $39,800...
base C class interior or exterior is nowhere as nice as model you drove though. You gotta pay play with Benz.

When it just came out here in Europe, they had really downmarket base models with hubcaps and halogen lights that looks really cheap overall... now it is better, they sell mid level equipment for base prices with nice discounts.

It is still some ways out of 3 series price though, so I wonder how will that do for them long term. Reason 3 series and A4 sold so well in Europe in past years is that their pricing is basically same as mid-size class prices in Europe - so it is similar price to most popular Passat.

So if you want to make C class interior and exterior look better than 3 series or IS in this case, you gotta pay for some nicer equipment at which point it becomes a lot more expensive vehicle.
Old 11-11-14, 12:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
base C class interior or exterior is nowhere as nice as model you drove though. You gotta pay play with Benz.
No...the basic interior is the same, and at its core its a higher quality, better made interior. What comes with packages are leather vs MB Tex, different trims but base for base the C has a better interior.
Old 11-11-14, 12:34 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a few Cs on the road now and am not too impressed. IMO, the car is quite bland in real life. Maybe I need to wait to see a model with an AMG kit in darker colors, but it's actually pretty underwhelming in the metal (IMO).
Old 11-11-14, 12:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I have seen a few Cs on the road now and am not too impressed. IMO, the car is quite bland in real life. Maybe I need to wait to see a model with an AMG kit in darker colors, but it's actually pretty underwhelming in the metal (IMO).
Its bland without the sport package
Old 11-11-14, 12:51 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mission accomplished! Mercedes wasn't going the sporty route with this one, they sacrificed performance and dynamics to make the car more conservative and luxurious.
Old 11-11-14, 12:59 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^I understand that, but really... the car is not particularly attractive or dynamic looking without a sports package upgrade. Plenty of other luxury-focused cars are more interesting to look at.
Old 11-11-14, 01:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

^I understand that, but really... the car is not particularly attractive or dynamic looking without a sports package upgrade. Plenty of other luxury-focused cars are more interesting to look at.
And I think thats a problem with MB's styling direction in general. I think all their cars look plain and blah without that sport package. Even the S Class to some extent.
Old 11-11-14, 01:23 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

And I think thats a problem with MB's styling direction in general. I think all their cars look plain and blah without that sport package. Even the S Class to some extent.
I think its part of their business model, most people that are interested in the car will pay the premium for the amg package because it looks great. However in reality their cost on the amg trim is probably just a little higher than conventional trim.
Old 11-11-14, 02:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doge
I think its part of their business model, most people that are interested in the car will pay the premium for the amg package because it looks great. However in reality their cost on the amg trim is probably just a little higher than conventional trim.
I think its really short sighted of them though. Their cars are rolling advertisements for themselves. You have all these base model C and E Classes running around and they look dowdy and cheap. I mean, I see a non-sport model E Class it doesn't look like a $40,000 car to me let alone a $65,000 car...
Old 11-11-14, 03:06 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think its really short sighted of them though. Their cars are rolling advertisements for themselves. You have all these base model C and E Classes running around and they look dowdy and cheap. I mean, I see a non-sport model E Class it doesn't look like a $40,000 car to me let alone a $65,000 car...
After going back and taking a closer look at the c300, i gotta retract what i said about the interior. I really liked it, i still not a fan of the Navigation screen placement but i could live that that. I did not drive it, perhaps next weekend i will take it out for a spin ir maybe even take it over night.
Old 11-11-14, 03:17 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

How so? Yes the cars them selves are rolling advertisements but if the majority are wearing the amg package it really isn't hurting the perception.
Here in the Chicagoland area pretty much every benz sedan is outfitted with the amg package, I see the non sport models but they really are dime a dozen. I would love to see a chart showing how many are sold with the lux vs sport package.
Old 11-11-14, 03:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doge
How so? Yes the cars them selves are rolling advertisements but if the majority are wearing the amg package it really isn't hurting the perception.
Here in the Chicagoland area pretty much every benz sedan is outfitted with the amg package, I see the non sport models but they really are dime a dozen. I would love to see a chart showing how many are sold with the lux vs sport package.
Thats just the thing, I see a lot more base models than I do the ones with the sport package. The majority of the ones around here are the base packages.
Old 11-11-14, 03:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

No...the basic interior is the same, and at its core its a higher quality, better made interior. What comes with packages are leather vs MB Tex, different trims but base for base the C has a better interior.
their base equipment here doesnt have a smidge of leather and still more expensive than IS or 3 series. MB USA made a good choice with making luxury package so cheap that dealers will likely have that. Huge difference for $700 to have wood panels and leather on dash.

Here in EU, base is cloth seats, and plastic dash/doors, with shiny black dominating everything.

Still, even in US, if you equip them nicely, difference is up to $7-10k for similar equipment.
Old 11-11-14, 03:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Thats just the thing, I see a lot more base models than I do the ones with the sport package. The majority of the ones around here are the base packages.
statistically you are correct... it does look good with AMG package though...

With time, more and more will be base packages, thats how it works - first year you sell more of expensive models and then later on ratio drops steadily.