Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just drove the new Mercedes C300 4 Matic...my thoughts

Old 11-06-14, 05:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Like I said in the other head, the C is a GREAT small entry luxury car, but it's no competition for the GS. Having driven them immediately back to back there's no way I would trade the GS for the C.
Old 11-06-14, 05:12 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Like I said in the other head, the C is a GREAT small entry luxury car, but it's no competition for the GS. Having driven them immediately back to back there's no way I would trade the GS for the C.
Nor should it be, they're classes apart
Old 11-06-14, 05:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doge
Nor should it be, they're classes apart
I'm not the one comparing them to purchase, Pete is.
Old 11-06-14, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
I took one of my employees out shopping for his first "nice car" recently and we hit all the dealers. I have to say the new C pretty much smoked everything when it comes to the interiors. It may not be for you, but I think they killed it even if the screen seems a little odd.
Yes, the way the video-screen has a rather bargain-basement look in what is otherwise a superb, Jaguar-grade interior. Car & Driver also agrees. But hey, any car can have a slip-up here and there. I agree with you, though, that M-B finally seems to be getting serious about the C's interior, which, IMO, was somewhat neglected on past models.

BTW, did your employee take a new one home? if so, I guess you're paying him (or her) well enough. Or, you gave out one heck of an advance.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-06-14 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-06-14, 05:50 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

For me, its the C class all the way. Im just kind of bored with Lexus at the moment. I was ecstatic with my RXh when I first got it, didn't test drive anything else. It was my first hybrid, first remote touch experience, first radar cruise, first HUD, first LED headlights. Now that I have experienced these things, nothing else in the Lexus lineup as anything new to offer.

The C class on the other hand has the steering assist distronic plus system that I really want to try out, the auto parking, and the new touch pad comand controller.
Old 11-06-14, 08:18 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

being that the C starts at 40k, it better have better interior materials.
Old 11-06-14, 08:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pman6
being that the C starts at 40k, it better have better interior materials.
IS AWD starts at $38,700 and the 338i X Drive starts at $39,800...
Old 11-08-14, 01:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The guys on the autoblog podcast think its amazing.
Old 11-08-14, 02:25 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
I took one of my employees out shopping for his first "nice car" recently and we hit all the dealers. I have to say the new C pretty much smoked everything when it comes to the interiors. It may not be for you, but I think they killed it even if the screen seems a little odd.
Wow, J.P., are you hiring? I would like a new C too!
Old 11-10-14, 11:02 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I'm in the market for a new car.
Was thinking about GS350 before the all new C300 popped up.
Test driven both cars again.
The two cars are in different categories, and completely different.

Many friends ask me why I don't shop for GS350 with an equivalent midsize E400?
I say it's because I can't handle the 2009-2016 E Class' styling outside and inside, and the torque curve of the E400 is also very peaky.

Not so the 2014-2021 C300.
The C300 is beautiful outside and inside.
The C300 although twin turbo too, has a lovely flat torque curve, with some or occasional lag.
The C300 is all about the badge, then the looks, but its handling and power oversteer is also great, and the tail is so controllable, and the mileage is almost double the GS's.

However, on the downside, the compact C300 is relatively tiny outside and tiny inside compared to the midsize cars.
On second test drive, the C300's four cylinder is coarser than the first drive, but very smooth for a four.
On the second test drive, there is occasionally some turbo lag.
The stop start feature of the C300 isn't very smooth; no match for the GS450h from my memory?
The suspension travel of the C Class is relatively short; it is not a long legged car.
The tires are noisier than on the first test drive.
There are already reliability issues with the all new CLA and all new S Class, so this may affect the all new 2014-2021 C Class too?

The GS is mechanically a much bigger car inside and out.
The 3.5 atmospheric is deft in response, torque, power and refinement.
The ride and refinement is deft, with long legged suspension travel.
The handling is great for a midsize car.

On the downside, the GS doesn't have the pointed star, nor the styling.
The midsize GS doesn't handle as well as the C Class, but I'm too old to drive like that anymore; I just loaf along these days.
Of more concern is that the GS uses almost twice the gasoline of the C300; the next generation 2019-2026 5GS would advisably be at least 25-50% aluminium content to shave off 200-400 lbs, and should use a 2.5L V6 with twin turbos for power, economy and refinement!

I ask for my friends opinions, and most say go for the C Class; they are no doubt heavily into the badge and the styling.
One of my friends say go for the GS because the Benzes have issues; he has owned two S Classes, and one E Class in the past.

I know which way the mass market will go, but for me, it's a personal thing; the midsize GS has the edge...
Old 11-10-14, 11:15 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I'm not the one comparing them to purchase, Pete is.
Might wanna double check that.

Like I said in the other head, the C is a GREAT small entry luxury car, but it's no competition for the GS

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...#ixzz3Ih8LXmuT
Old 11-10-14, 02:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Like I said in my post, I went into it thinking that the C might be something I could consider replacing my GS with, but it isn't due to its size. I'm not actively shopping for any car at the moment, Pete is.
Old 11-10-14, 05:03 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I'm in the market for a new car.
Was thinking about GS350 before the all new C300 popped up.
Test driven both cars again.
The two cars are in different categories, and completely different.

Many friends ask me why I don't shop for GS350 with an equivalent midsize E400?
I say it's because I can't handle the 2009-2016 E Class' styling outside and inside, and the torque curve of the E400 is also very peaky.

Not so the 2014-2021 C300.
The C300 is beautiful outside and inside.
The C300 although twin turbo too, has a lovely flat torque curve, with some or occasional lag.
The C300 is all about the badge, then the looks, but its handling and power oversteer is also great, and the tail is so controllable, and the mileage is almost double the GS's.

However, on the downside, the compact C300 is relatively tiny outside and tiny inside compared to the midsize cars.
On second test drive, the C300's four cylinder is coarser than the first drive, but very smooth for a four.
On the second test drive, there is occasionally some turbo lag.
The stop start feature of the C300 isn't very smooth; no match for the GS450h from my memory?
The suspension travel of the C Class is relatively short; it is not a long legged car.
The tires are noisier than on the first test drive.
There are already reliability issues with the all new CLA and all new S Class, so this may affect the all new 2014-2021 C Class too?

The GS is mechanically a much bigger car inside and out.
The 3.5 atmospheric is deft in response, torque, power and refinement.
The ride and refinement is deft, with long legged suspension travel.
The handling is great for a midsize car.

On the downside, the GS doesn't have the pointed star, nor the styling.
The midsize GS doesn't handle as well as the C Class, but I'm too old to drive like that anymore; I just loaf along these days.
Of more concern is that the GS uses almost twice the gasoline of the C300; the next generation 2019-2026 5GS would advisably be at least 25-50% aluminium content to shave off 200-400 lbs, and should use a 2.5L V6 with twin turbos for power, economy and refinement!

I ask for my friends opinions, and most say go for the C Class; they are no doubt heavily into the badge and the styling.
One of my friends say go for the GS because the Benzes have issues; he has owned two S Classes, and one E Class in the past.

I know which way the mass market will go, but for me, it's a personal thing; the midsize GS has the edge...
Just wanted to say that the C300 engine is not twin turbo, its single. Only the C400 has the twin turbo
Old 11-10-14, 08:33 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Just wanted to say that the C300 engine is not twin turbo, its single. Only the C400 has the twin turbo
that's what i thought, but many in here were saying that it's a twin turbo. had me second guessing myself. I haven't tested the new c300, but if it is anything like the last gen turbo 4, i'd avoid it. I've driven plenty of last gen's turbo 4 whenever i bring my old C300 (V6) and it was very coarse. Sounded horrible. Only benefit i'd say is that it's lighter and a little more nimble than the old 3.0 V6. However, it was no where as smooth, quiet, or refined as a V6. Also, the transmissions were horrible in the last gen. Hoping they gave the new model a better tranmission
Old 11-10-14, 09:01 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by tea
that's what i thought, but many in here were saying that it's a twin turbo. had me second guessing myself. I haven't tested the new c300, but if it is anything like the last gen turbo 4, i'd avoid it. I've driven plenty of last gen's turbo 4 whenever i bring my old C300 (V6) and it was very coarse. Sounded horrible. Only benefit i'd say is that it's lighter and a little more nimble than the old 3.0 V6. However, it was no where as smooth, quiet, or refined as a V6. Also, the transmissions were horrible in the last gen. Hoping they gave the new model a better tranmission
I just brought my C350 in for a service two weeks ago and received a last gen C250. That engine did have a horrible sound and I agree wasn't very smooth. However, i hear the new engine is a big step forward.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just drove the new Mercedes C300 4 Matic...my thoughts