Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai and Kia to pay record EPA fine

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-14, 08:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
That is one hell of a fine.
not as huge as the ludicrous fine toyota paid for 'unintended acceleration', but i think that was more about the was they responded (or didn't) to allegations/claims rather than the technical aspects.
Old 11-04-14, 03:12 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously who was dumb enough to believe the Elantra was capable of 40MPG ?
Old 11-04-14, 03:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Seriously who was dumb enough to believe the Elantra was capable of 40MPG ?
Obviously a lot of people.
Old 11-04-14, 04:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
I can't believe there are people defending Hyundai/Kia in this. How many people were duped by all those ads with 40 MPG in big bold letters? That was the cornerstone of Hyundai's marketing for at least a few years. Although they have offered compensation for gas, that is a pittance compared to the tens of thousands of dollars people paid for their cars. Hyundai came off the winner in this exchange and have highly profited from their increased sales, with their consumers being the losers , believing they were were getting more than what they actually get.
This x1000
Old 11-04-14, 09:14 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ford had to reduce it's mpg ratings for a few of it's cars in recent years. I wonder if the gov will come down on them just as hard.
Old 11-05-14, 10:55 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^^ I'm wondering the same thing. That is a huge fine
Old 11-05-14, 11:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
I can't believe there are people defending Hyundai/Kia in this. How many people were duped by all those ads with 40 MPG in big bold letters?
Actually, you got it backwards. A car buyer is supposed to have (and use) at least some common sense. IMO, blindly drinking EPA/mileage Kool-Aid without taking some of it with a grain of salt is not using commion sense.

Now.....that doesn't mean that Hyundai and Kia couldn't have maybe done a little better job on the testing, but the whole buisness of gas mileage is, and always has been, an inexact science.
Old 11-05-14, 12:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, you got it backwards. A car buyer is supposed to have (and use) at least some common sense. IMO, blindly drinking EPA/mileage Kool-Aid without taking some of it with a grain of salt is not using commion sense.
He didn't get anything backwards. The numbers are there for comparison, what do you expect people to use as an indicator instead? Word of mouth? Lucky guess?
Now.....that doesn't mean that Hyundai and Kia couldn't have maybe done a little better job on the testing, but the whole buisness of gas mileage is, and always has been, an inexact science.
A better job? They outright lied and they knew it.
Old 11-05-14, 12:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

as big of a fine as it is they totally deserve it. If you are going to compete you need to play fair. Companies build reps of reliability. Dont come back from the dead , produce nice vehicles, pnly to lie. AND the price of gas is dropping like crazy. Screw mpgs. lol

Just wanted to add.....I am sooooo happy I have a car with a HUGE V8 !!!lol
Old 11-05-14, 07:21 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should consumers have the common sense to know their car's true horsepower as well? "Hmm, my BMW 3-series engine feels totally underrated, just my common sense and gut feeling."

...People don't do that.

People use figures like the EPA numbers (and other figures like horsepower, torque, etc.) to make informed decisions on which cars to buy. Its not going as far as reading 3-page long reviews or reading anecdotal car mileage reports, but just reading that EPA number you should be able to trust that number and compare it to other cars EPA to make an informed buying decision. If you can't even trust that number due to an automaker purposely fudging the numbers to leverage their cars fraudulently, then there is a problem.

This fine is a slight slap on the wrist as it is.
Old 11-06-14, 05:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

no question hyundai lied about those numbers by cheating or abusing the testing somehow.

customers should be able to trust numbers coming from manufacturers or get pretty close. in this case no way could you get close to those mpg.
Old 11-06-14, 03:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

All right, folks. That's right....Marshall doesn't know what he's talking about. Go ahead and toss all the stones at Hyundai and Kia you want. You'll get your way. Hyundai and Kia will (probably) end up paying the fine and settlement. But don't be naive. Who do you really think is going to end up footing the bill for this settlement? Future car-buyers, that's who......in higher list-prices for Hyundai and Kia products. These vehicles, of course, are head-and-shoulders better in quality than they were years ago. But there's no free lunch....the cost for those better materials and construction had to come from somewhere. Hyundai/Kia list prices, especially for lower-line models, have already risen sharply (especially in the last two years or so) to reflect that now-better quality. While still value-priced compared to some of their competitors, a number of Hyundai and Kia products, again more so with the entry-level models than top-end, are clearly not the exceptional bargains they once were. And you can take it to the bank that this settlement will mean only more list-price inflation in the future.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-06-14 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-06-14, 03:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The good thing about a competitive market is that any potential price increases will be minimal. Hyundai/Kia can't go crazy with them.
Old 11-06-14, 03:48 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The good thing about a competitive market is that any potential price increases will be minimal. Hyundai/Kia can't go crazy with them.
Exactly, Hyundai/Kia can't and won't be raising car prices $0.25 or whatever nominal amount for each car to make up for this fine amount. The market dictates what they can sell a car for. Automakers don't use a cost + _____ profit pricing model, they price to what they believe the market can bear, which they hope is above their costs.

Maybe it'll cost them the development of a feature for a year or something to that effect, but it won't just result in a direct increase in the price of their cars.
Old 11-06-14, 04:47 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMut
Ford had to reduce it's mpg ratings for a few of it's cars in recent years. I wonder if the gov will come down on them just as hard.
Base on our justice system, Ford will get away with it.

Quick Reply: Hyundai and Kia to pay record EPA fine