Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just drove the new Hyundai Genesis...5.0 V8 and 3.8 V6 AWD...my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 08:58 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
I have to agree with this. dealer customer service is overrated. I don't even get my oil change there anymore.

Since their car wash scratches my paint, I don't let them wash my car.
so there's really no value left. Just overpriced service.
I like to be pampered. I got pampered even when I drove Mazda with their 4yr/50000 mile warranty with loaners. I cannot understand why somebody who drives a premium/luxury car does not value premium/pampered services.
Old 10-30-14, 09:17 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Performance from the V6 is sub-par, it won't be winning any drags and it's probably one of the slowest of the big six-cylinder cars on the market
Hyundai didn't go all out sporty in the Genesis in this generation, it was focused more on refinement, but it's still no slouch.

Motor Trend Stats for 3.8 V6 AWD
0-60: 6.4
1/4 Mile: 14.7 @ 96.1 mph
Figure 8: 26.0 seconds @ 0.72 g
60-0 Braking: 109 Feet
Lateral Accel: 0.88 g

From Motor Trend:
The front-drive Acura RLX was better in a line than the Genesis, going from 0-60 mph in 5.8 seconds and completing the quarter mile in 14.3 seconds going 97.8 mph. But despite weighing 465 pounds less than the Genesis, the RLX completed the figure eight more slowly, finishing it in 27.3 seconds at a 0.64 avg g. Compared to the Cadillac CTS, the Genesis was just 0.10 second slower in the 0-60-mph sprint, while both sedans' quarter-mile times were the same, though the CTS' trap speed was a bit quicker by 0.5 second. But the Genesis once again smokes the CTS' figure-eight time of 26.7 seconds at a 0.66 avg g
Old 03-07-15, 09:14 PM
MoodyHank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I'm not buying anything for a year, I have 13 months left on my lease. But, sales of the new car are stronger than the old car, and the new car is a much better car than the old car, I expect this car to do better. The K900 brand issue is even worse IMHO, and I don't like the Kia look. If I were looking at a K900 I'd consider an Equus.

I wouldn't buy one because of resale, but if you lease as long as the residual is good resale doesn't really matter. What remains to be seen is what the residuals and money factors look like.

You gotta drive the car, thats not at all a big number given how good a car it really is. That car is $10k cheaper than a comparable GS, $20k cheaper than a comparable 5 Series, and like I said...I gotta say I think it may be a better car.
I'm on the same boat, really intrigued by the value aspect of the Gen 2 Genesis. Lease on my Bmw 428 expires in early 2016 and have started researching. Lease deals are tempting with decent MF, high RV, lease cash, and conquest cash for Bmw/Lexus owners. Yet to test drive one but all the reviews I read (including yours) are very positive...
Old 03-09-15, 07:17 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good friend of mine is looking to replace his 2011 GS350, went out with him and another friend of ours today and drove a couple cars, the 2014 Infiniti Q70 L (will post another thread on it) and the 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

First off...I've been a Lexus owner a long time. I love my GS, as I have all the Lexus vehicles I've owned. I had seriously considered the 2010 Genesis instead of my 2010 ES. Mainly brand snobbery kept me from doing that. I've been a vocal detractor from Hyundai's ability to sell a legitimate luxury car with a mainstream brand.

So don't take it lightly when I say...if I had been in my GS (we were in his GS) and had I been within a time in the lease when it would be doable...I would have traded the GS in on the Genesis V8 on the spot. It is simply one of the best, most appealing cars I have driven in a long, long time...and is every bit the equal, and in many ways superior to everything else in this segment including my beloved GS.

First off, in person the car is very attractive. Its wide, long and low and really has a lot of presence in the parking lot. Paint quality is excellent, trim is a modern matte metal finish. Very nice looking. The first one we drove was a black on black 5.0 V8 model. The interior is very spacious, and very high quality. No cheap plastics anywhere, soft touch plastics throughout, felt lined map pockets in the doors. Really great. The black interior we thought was a little austere, but very high quality. Seats are covered in leather easily equaling the quality of the semi-aniline leather in my GS. All the displays and readouts are sharp, electroflourescent, LED, or TFT.

The real bread and butter of this car is the ride and drive. It reminded me instantly of the LS. So vault-like and solid, so glasslike and creamy on the road. Everything it does is muted, refined, and smooth. The V8 is strong and smooth. Vault quiet. It passed what I call the "speed bump" test with flying colors. Driving down a neighborhood road, hit a speed bump at 40MPH. No other car I've had other than the LS, will just glide over the speed bump with little drama...until the Genesis. The most incredible thing is that despite a ride that I would give a 9/10 in the V8 and a 10/10 in the V6 (18s in the V6 19s in the V8), the car isn't wallowy or bargelike. Its not as crisp and tossable as the GS, but the tradeoff for ride comfort is a no brainer IMHO.

Next we drove the V6 AWD which is what my friend is considering. This car had the ivory/black interior which we found much more attractive. Ride was even better due to higher profile tires. The V6 is almost as smooth as the V8. but not quite. Easily as smooth as the 3.5 in the GS, and much quieter at idle.

I am really floored by how much I liked the car. We had driven the Q70L right beforehand, and I would not even consider buying that vs the Genesis.

Its probably what he is going to get...and might very honestly be what I wind up in a year from now as well. The only issue with me is brand, but instead of being able to say that the Genesis is as good as the competition just without the badge, I might just say that the Genesis is actually better. Its one thing to pay $10k more for a car that is no better but has a badge, better resale, better dealers....but to pay $10k+ more and wind up with a car that is actually less car? Harder to do that.

Spending nearly $50k for an ES when one could buy a Genesis? That would be tough...
Great review, thank you for sharing. A few questions, I was considering a 2012 Genesis v6, back in 2012. So, I went for a ride and here are the things that did not work for me and I would like to know if you noticed any changes in 2015 Model.

1. There was a significant delay when you accelerate, at all speeds. Every one was talking about this on the genesis forum at the time.
2. Very glitch entertainment system. Touch screen was so glitch that I just stopped trying to use it.
Old 03-09-15, 07:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. I know you are not the type of person to praise a car idly....a car has to earn good comments from you. And, like with my own review, the new Genesis seems to have done that with you. I pretty much agree with most of what you say on the general build quality, materials, and road manners. The lower-profile tires on the V8 version do ride surprisingly smooth....though there is some body roll in the handling (as you say, not to excessive wallow standards).

Like you, I'd probably choose a Genesis over the newest GS or the Infiniti Q70. Since you have two beautiful twins now, safety-ratings, like with most new parents, are probably an issue. The new Genesis gets top marks from both IIHS and NHTSA. And, of course, another reason for choosing a Hyundai or Kia product is the 10/10 and 5/60 warranties which nobody else can match.

I would assume that you feel that, for you, the Genesis is a better buy than the more expensive Kia K900, even with the really steep discounts a K900 might bring from low sales. With me, I dunno.....that would be a tough choice. I (probably) value ride-comfort even more than you do, as long as there is even some semblance of handling to go with it. The K900 and Equus are the ultimate Korean cruisers...but neither of them offer AWD, and if you are going to keep living in MD, that might be an issue.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-09-15 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-09-15, 08:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
Great review, thank you for sharing. A few questions, I was considering a 2012 Genesis v6, back in 2012. So, I went for a ride and here are the things that did not work for me and I would like to know if you noticed any changes in 2015 Model.
2015 is completely new so i'd be surprised if it has those issues. reviews i've read haven't mentioned anything like that. the first genesis (including the 2012 you drove) was definitely a "1.0" type of effort - pretty good, but lacking in some ways. this new one is WAY better.
Old 03-09-15, 12:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags

1. There was a significant delay when you accelerate, at all speeds. Every one was talking about this on the genesis forum at the time.
2. Very glitch entertainment system. Touch screen was so glitch that I just stopped trying to use it.
Both of these items are corrected in the new car.
Old 03-09-15, 12:44 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both of these items are corrected in the new car.
Then I'd say Great Job, genesis! The car always appealed to me, but I just couldn't pass the delayed acceleration.

So, no hesitation what so ever??? on both V6 and V8?
Old 03-09-15, 12:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Hyundai didn't go all out sporty in the Genesis in this generation, it was focused more on refinement, but it's still no slouch.
Yes...that's a good way of putting it. The 5.0 RWD I sampled (though I didn't time it from 0-60) felt like it had about the same pick-up (maybe even slightly better) than the late-60s GTOs, Road Runners, and Chevelle SS's I grew up with in high school...they all had V8s of around 400 cid or so. Only, of course, the new Genesis also had a far more advanced suspension and was much better refined.
Old 03-09-15, 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
I always knew Lexus stuffed up the new GS.

The previous GS was much better in terms cocooned luxury and also had a V8 option!
i had the 08 gs350 and now 15 gs350. the 3gs doesn't come close in almost all aspects compared to the 4gs. 4gs blows it away. in fact, i personally think the 3gs was very weak (and i had the 98 gs400 too). having a gs460 was good, but not having full 380hp like the ls460 didn't make it that attractive either