Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just drove the new Hyundai Genesis...5.0 V8 and 3.8 V6 AWD...my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 09:08 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
but still...the dealer has plastic chairs and big banners about lojack and its just not a premium experience at all. While the product is really great, the "event" of buying and servicing your car is greatly diminished, and luxury is a great deal about the event and the experience. .
I'm practical, so I don't mind all that.

Lexus service is more consistent across dealers probably because Lexus HQ makes it that way.

mainstream dealers are hit and miss.
Old 10-29-14, 09:23 PM
weezer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot speak on the new Genesis specifically but we were twenty year Toyota/Lexus owners and switched to Kia / Hyundia in 2012. We have had a 12 Loaded Optima, 12 Loaded Azera, and a 14 Loaded Sorento SXL. Going from / Kia / Hyundai to a 15 Subaru Legacy right now and all I can see is I want me Sorento SXL back! From most materials, build quality, drive experience and especially infotainment... Hyundai and Kia smokes comparable Toyota/Subaru models and matches or beats many Lexus models. Subaru uses almost all Toyota electronics/infotainment... they look identical to Toyota and are easily 5 years behind Kia/Hyundai in this regard. I will say the Subaru Legacy is an unbelievable driving experience, they really have that nailed down... but all the little things really add up. Fit an Finish on all three of our Kia/Hyundias was second to none... the Subaru I keep noticing all these little cost cutting areas and it's driving me nuts. As for dealership experience, our local Hyundai dealership is amazing, and they really treat you well and have a great loaner program. The Kia dealerships in the area have a long way to go, but most are upgrading and / or getting brand new space to conduct business. Tell your friend good luck with the Genesis, I'm holding out for the 17' Kia GT(which will be based on the Genesis platform) and am considering taking a bath on the Subaru to get back with the Kia/Hyundai brand. Their product really speaks for itself now.
Old 10-30-14, 03:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Good friend of mine is looking to replace his 2011 GS350, went out with him and another friend of ours today and drove a couple cars, the 2014 Infiniti Q70 L (will post another thread on it) and the 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

First off...I've been a Lexus owner a long time. I love my GS, as I have all the Lexus vehicles I've owned. I had seriously considered the 2010 Genesis instead of my 2010 ES. Mainly brand snobbery kept me from doing that. I've been a vocal detractor from Hyundai's ability to sell a legitimate luxury car with a mainstream brand.

So don't take it lightly when I say...if I had been in my GS (we were in his GS) and had I been within a time in the lease when it would be doable...I would have traded the GS in on the Genesis V8 on the spot. It is simply one of the best, most appealing cars I have driven in a long, long time...and is every bit the equal, and in many ways superior to everything else in this segment including my beloved GS.

First off, in person the car is very attractive. Its wide, long and low and really has a lot of presence in the parking lot. Paint quality is excellent, trim is a modern matte metal finish. Very nice looking. The first one we drove was a black on black 5.0 V8 model. The interior is very spacious, and very high quality. No cheap plastics anywhere, soft touch plastics throughout, felt lined map pockets in the doors. Really great. The black interior we thought was a little austere, but very high quality. Seats are covered in leather easily equaling the quality of the semi-aniline leather in my GS. All the displays and readouts are sharp, electroflourescent, LED, or TFT.

The real bread and butter of this car is the ride and drive. It reminded me instantly of the LS. So vault-like and solid, so glasslike and creamy on the road. Everything it does is muted, refined, and smooth. The V8 is strong and smooth. Vault quiet. It passed what I call the "speed bump" test with flying colors. Driving down a neighborhood road, hit a speed bump at 40MPH. No other car I've had other than the LS, will just glide over the speed bump with little drama...until the Genesis. The most incredible thing is that despite a ride that I would give a 9/10 in the V8 and a 10/10 in the V6 (18s in the V6 19s in the V8), the car isn't wallowy or bargelike. Its not as crisp and tossable as the GS, but the tradeoff for ride comfort is a no brainer IMHO.

Next we drove the V6 AWD which is what my friend is considering. This car had the ivory/black interior which we found much more attractive. Ride was even better due to higher profile tires. The V6 is almost as smooth as the V8. but not quite. Easily as smooth as the 3.5 in the GS, and much quieter at idle.

I am really floored by how much I liked the car. We had driven the Q70L right beforehand, and I would not even consider buying that vs the Genesis.

Its probably what he is going to get...and might very honestly be what I wind up in a year from now as well. The only issue with me is brand, but instead of being able to say that the Genesis is as good as the competition just without the badge, I might just say that the Genesis is actually better. Its one thing to pay $10k more for a car that is no better but has a badge, better resale, better dealers....but to pay $10k+ more and wind up with a car that is actually less car? Harder to do that.

Spending nearly $50k for an ES when one could buy a Genesis? That would be tough...
looking over hyundai forums, i would suggest to wait just a bit, maybe half a year.. few small nigles might be solved but most importantly, price will likely drop.

I cant believe people were getting 2013 V8 with everything for 33k last year - brand new!

Also check Kia K900 as well, it is Equus material and sales are horrible so they will likely give huge discounts.

Problem with value, resale and brand recognition is that they really need to start a luxury brand if they want these to be fixed. It is crazy that they gave 35% discount for last year models, poor people who bought them few years ago lost a lot of value... I also saw some V8 dealer demos with 6k on clock going for 26k. Thats Camry money!

But of course, to start a brand, you have to spend few billion and that will mean that the pricing will come really close to everyone else. Thats how it goes.
Old 10-30-14, 05:36 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SW13, tell your friend to take the car over night for a test drive, just to make sure, its a big decision.

I have bought myself a brand new 2012 Genesis sedan 6cy back in 2012, I did not like 2 things:
1, The info/nav touch screen was not working well, had glitches, I went on the forum to see if this is a single issue, apparently it was not. Most people have experienced the same things.

2, There was a long throttle delay, regardless of the speed. When I hit the gas, it would take a few seconds before the car start moving, very dangerous and very disturbing. I also found that it was an issue for all the 2012 Genesis of that year.

I returned the car the next day, I just could not stand the fact that I could not use the NAV when I need it to, nor the throttle delay.

I don't know if Genesis fixed those issue, I really hope that they did, as I really like the look and all the toys it came with.
Old 10-30-14, 05:57 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I priced a V6 AWD on Edmunds with options I'd want and the sticker was $52635.
That's a big number even with a 10% discount if available.

Last edited by Joeb427; 10-30-14 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-30-14, 06:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
looking over hyundai forums, i would suggest to wait just a bit, maybe half a year.. few small nigles might be solved but most importantly, price will likely drop.
I've read the Genesis forums from time to time, haven't seen anything really significant.

I'm not buying anything for a year, I have 13 months left on my lease. But, sales of the new car are stronger than the old car, and the new car is a much better car than the old car, I expect this car to do better. The K900 brand issue is even worse IMHO, and I don't like the Kia look. If I were looking at a K900 I'd consider an Equus.

I wouldn't buy one because of resale, but if you lease as long as the residual is good resale doesn't really matter. What remains to be seen is what the residuals and money factors look like.

Originally Posted by FastTags
SW13, tell your friend to take the car over night for a test drive, just to make sure, its a big decision.

I have bought myself a brand new 2012 Genesis sedan 6cy back in 2012, I did not like 2 things:
1, The info/nav touch screen was not working well, had glitches, I went on the forum to see if this is a single issue, apparently it was not. Most people have experienced the same things.

2, There was a long throttle delay, regardless of the speed. When I hit the gas, it would take a few seconds before the car start moving, very dangerous and very disturbing. I also found that it was an issue for all the 2012 Genesis of that year.
Knowing him I'm sure he will do that. Neither of the Genesis we drove had those issues though. Navigation is basically the same as other Hyundai models, and throttle response was fine.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I priced a V6 AWD on Edmunds with options I'd want and the sticker was $52635.
That's a big number even with a 10% discount if available.
You gotta drive the car, thats not at all a big number given how good a car it really is. That car is $10k cheaper than a comparable GS, $20k cheaper than a comparable 5 Series, and like I said...I gotta say I think it may be a better car.
Old 10-30-14, 06:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

You gotta drive the car, thats not at all a big number given how good a car it really is. That car is $10k cheaper than a comparable GS, $20k cheaper than a comparable 5 Series, and like I said...I gotta say I think it may be a better car.
My lease is up the same time as your lease.
I'll definitely test drive one.
The new generation Genesis will be out a year and maybe good lease deals will be available.

Hyundai service is hit or miss.
My son had a Elantra and his dealer was awful.
My Mazda dealer is both Mazda and Hyundai service and so far so good.
Old 10-30-14, 06:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The dealer I drove them at is a no-haggle dealer, prices were about $4k off on each, so deals on price can be had, no idea about leases...my buddy purchases so we wont get any info there.
Old 10-30-14, 07:15 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

I always knew Lexus stuffed up the new GS.

The previous GS was much better in terms cocooned luxury and also had a V8 option!

Old 10-30-14, 07:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
I always knew Lexus stuffed up the new GS.

The previous GS was much better in terms cocooned luxury and also had a V8 option!
Thats not what I'm saying at all. My enjoyment of the Genesis has nothing to do with the GS vs the old GS or vs anything else, the Genesis is just an excellent car.

I spend a fair amount of time in the 3GS, in fact its what the friend of mine who is looking has and what we were driving when we went to go drive the Genesis. The 4GS is an improvement in ride, handling, quietness, comfort, quality, and a HUGE improvement in interior over the 3GS. I drove the 3GS in 2010 before I bought the 2010 ES, it didn't appeal to me over the ES at all, when I drove the 2013 4GS though immediately I saw the benefit and upgraded.

He doesn't care for the styling of my 4GS (and thats fair, I love it but styling is subjective) but he rides in it all the time and has driven it and he always comments on how much nicer it is than his 3GS to be in and drive. Anybody who says otherwise either isn't being honest, or has never driven a 4GS and directly compared it to the 3GS.

We were discussing the V8, and the fact that I said that I would want the V8 in the Genesis, but wouldn't in the GS or the Q70L. I think its because the V8 makes up for the fact that the Genesis is a Hyundai lol, in a BMW or Lexus or Infiniti I would never consider the V8. Cost of entry is really low in the Genesis too. The Infiniti the V8 costs $12k.
Old 10-30-14, 07:47 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

But regarding the Genesis, I didn't find the interior to be as good as I initially thought . The dashboard is very bland, very similar looking to BMW and the material were ordinary plastics with strange colour schemes.

The doors felt too thin for a luxury car, my IS350 doors feel far more solid and they shut with a smooth solid thump.
The lower door panels were super cheap; black plastics without any form of retractable door pockets or colour coding.

We don't get the V8 here (unfortunately) but the 3.8L was on the lean side of anaemic, I guess the weight of the vehicle is too much for a V6 to comfortably overcome. I also felt that it needed much more pedal travel than what I'm usually used to with other vehicles.

Overall I don't think the competition has much to worry about, and pricing hasn't been announced here, but if it's anything over $60,000 for a V6 then they can forget about selling beyond rental companies at discounted prices..

Last edited by yowps3; 10-30-14 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-30-14, 07:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I agree the 4th Gen GS blows away the 3rd Gen.
I've had both.
Old 10-30-14, 07:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But regarding the Genesis, I didn't find the interior to be as good as I thought. The dashboard is very bland and looks very similar to BMW and the material were ordinary plastics with strange colour schemes.
The interior doesn't look very exciting no. I too find the layout somewhat bland, and I don't care for the grain they use on the upper dashboard and door panels, but there are no "ordinary" materials in it. Everything is soft touch and padded, or leather. All metal is metal, all leather is leather. The interior in say the GS is just as good, but the caveat being imitation leather used on the dash and doors.

The door felt too thin for a luxury car, my IS350 doors feel far more solid and they shut with a smooth solid thump.
I didn't see that at all.

The lower door panel was super cheap; black plastics without any form of retractable door pockets or colour coding.
Completely disagree. In fact I specifically looked at the lower door panels. There are no cheap or hard plastics, everything is just as high quality as on the upper doors, and the interior of the door panels are lined in padded felt, where in my GS they're just plastic. The door pockets aren't retractable, but that to me is a non issue. The panel is black, because thats how the interior of the car is designed. Light interiors have black carpeting and black materials below the midline.

We don't get the V8 here (unfortunately) but the 3.8L was on the lean side of anaemic, I guess the weight of the vehicle is too much for a V6 to swallow. I felt that it needed much more pedal travel than what I'm usually used to with other vehicles.
Again, completely disagree. The V6 felt great to me, even with the AWD. Pedal response felt almost identical to my GS.

Considering that you thought the 4GS was a step back from the 3GS though and thats so drastically different from my view, obviously we have entirely different viewpoints. If you want "cocooned in luxury" as you said before and you didn't like the way the Genesis drove...you either havent driven one or I don't think your definition of what refined luxury is matches anywhere close to what mine is. The car rides and drives very similarly to an LS. Like I said, sitting in the car in the parking lot I wasn't overly impressed, then I pulled out on the road and didn't want to give it back.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-30-14 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-30-14, 08:27 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, by far the most compelling factor of the Genesis was quietness. The Genesis is quiet, but that doesn't come as a surprise as its a large car with plenty of sound insulation & padding.

But regarding interior design & quality I stand by my statement. Nothing special there, which is a shame as so much could've been done.

Performance from the V6 is sub-par, it won't be winning any drags and it's probably one of the slowest of the big six-cylinder cars on the market

Headliner material is not consistent, as the Genesis I looked at had nice sued-like material while the one I test drove had the same headliner you find in the Elantra..

And while evetything is quiet inside at idle, but when you rev the engine the sounds it makes just don't sound good. While my IS may emit more dB, but the accoustic emissions from the engine and drivetrain are pleasant to the ear. The Lexus/Toyota engines have a smooth sewing machine-like noise compared to the Genesis that has a cacophonous, drone sounding engine / drivetrain.
Old 10-30-14, 08:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And while evetything is quiet inside at idle, but when you rev the engine the sounds it makes just don't sound good. While my IS may emit more dB, but the accoustic emissions from the engine and drivetrain are pleasant to the ear. The Lexus/Toyota engines have a smooth sewing machine-like noise compared to the Genesis that has a cacophonous, drone sounding engine / drivetrain.
You may as well be telling me the sky is green lol. In fact my friend who was shopping noted that he preferred the sound of the V6 to the V8. I wouldn't go that far, but there was nothing in the V6 car I drove that I would describe as unpleasant or anything that you've described. Both powertrains were smooth and refined sounding/feeling...even at WOT. My GS has the same engine as your IS, and the engine was at least as smooth and refined as it is.

How did you get your hands on a Genesis to drive before pricing was even released in your market?

I agree theres nothing "special" about the interior's design, but its a very high quality interior comparable with anything at a starting price point below $70k.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-30-14 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Just drove the new Hyundai Genesis...5.0 V8 and 3.8 V6 AWD...my thoughts