Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which SUV to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 05:47 AM
tin369
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which SUV to buy?

Hi All,

I need some guidance regarding which SUV to buy, pros and cons, functionality, tech and value.

I test drove the lexus RX350 but found it very soft, I currently drive a RAV4 V6 and want something luxury with some cargo space as well. 7 seta is not a necessity now. This will also mot likely be my daily commute over 80 miles a day as my wife likes to drive a sedan.

The ones that I am considering but not have driven extensively.

RX350
MDX
BMW X3
Q5

Don't like infinity and have heard that due to cvt its very slow to get go on the highways specially merging, bad fuel economy etc.

I was waiting for the NX, but from all the pre reviews and reading here looks like it will be smaller than what I want. I feel my RAV4 is a good size but only if had luxury in it and they stopped the V6.

The Q5 due to being small in the back seat and cargo is also not being considered.

A friend of mine just got a Jeep GC and for a price he got a lot of stuff including leather, remote start, heated front and back seats etc. but I have read and heard that the reliability is bad, so far he is happy with it but its just been only a month of ownership for him.

MDX is appealing because it handles very well, better than RX and you get the 3rd row just in case if you need to use it, has good MPG as well.

The X3 starts to become expensive as you add options, so doesn't look like a good value.

Also, I would be leasing unless the finance offer is better than lease offer.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
Old 10-29-14, 06:07 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

My 2011 Advance is my third MDX. They are hard to beat overall. My only complaint with my 11 is the gas mileage, which was increased with the 14 model year. I would recommend either ther Tech or Advance package with sh-awd. I am on the MDX forum and there have been several issues with the 14 (a redesign), but not so much with the 15. A buddy who is on about his 4th MDX leased a 14 and loves it. I drove it but there is not a sufficient difference in my 11 to make me want to change. The way the MDX typically holds its value, my friend gets a 3 yr lease, typically goes over mileage, then at end of year two when model year changes, he rolls into a new lease at essentially the same terms with no mileage penalty.

As to the other vehicles, the X3 is much smaller than the MDX and I doubt as comfortable on your commute. The RX is probably the smoothest ride.

Depending on your budget, you might also look at the new Macan. It is only about 6 inches shorter than a Cayenne. It is getting good reviews and should be fun to drive. At my age, I am thinking past value and more into enjoyment, so one of those two will get strong consideration as my next vehicle in a year or two.

Last edited by wasjr; 10-29-14 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-29-14, 06:19 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like the new MDX, have you considered a Mercedes GLK? What about the RDX, they are much bigger now, and I think about the same size or larger then RAV4
Old 10-29-14, 06:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

out of that list, MDX is better overall. Huge improvement on the 2014 design
Old 10-29-14, 06:35 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the Highlander Limited for a spin - don't knock it until you try it! Maybe it doesn't have the same curb appeal as the others, but if you like driving your Rav4 and want something with nicer features and more space, it's definitely worth a look.
Old 10-29-14, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is a very pleasant vehicle to sit in and drive, but, as you note (by today's standards), is somewhat of a reliability risk. If you can accept something slightly smaller than the class of SUV's you listed, I found the all-new Lincoln MKC generally impressive in my review last July, but it may (?) also be somewhat of a reliability risk since it is brand-new and unproven.

Of the ones you mentioned, I'd first consider the RX350.....or, if you want a (slightly) less-expensive version of it done on the same platform, the Toyota Highlander Limited. You may want a firmly-sprung product right now with snappy handling, and consider the RX too soft, but in the long run, when you are out on the road on an all-day trip, or coming home tired at the end of a long work-day, I think you'll appreciate a little comfort. The Highlander, if you need room inside for people and cargo, has even better space-efficiency due to its squared-off roofline, where the RX compromises it a little.
Old 10-29-14, 08:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Like Mike said, consider the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I am on my second WK2 (current generation) Grand Cherokee. My first one was a 2011 Laredo X which is a fairly low package. My current one is a 2014 Overland which is one trim from the top. For what the vehicles in your list cost you can get a Summit, which is really a stupidly nice vehicle for the money.

As a long time Lexus owner, I am used to quality vehicles, reliable vehicles, and good dealer service. My 2011 had a bunch of small, annoying little warranty problems. The 2014 is about ready to roll over 10k miles and has been great. Its in the shop right now having a couple recalls done. Dealer service sucks...but the vehicle is great and its a ton of car for the money. In a lot of ways...its nicer than my GS...real leather dash and doors, seat leather is just as good, nice plastics and carpet. Its a nice vehicle. Under $50k for all that equipment, radar cruise, great infotainment, panoramic roof.

I drove all those vehicles you list, I wouldn't select any of them over my Jeep.
Old 10-29-14, 08:14 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It would seem that 3 rows don't matter to you, since you are considering 2 or 3 row SUVs. Personally, if I didn't need 3 rows and more space, I'd go with the Q5 over the RX because I don't love the soft ride of the RX (I've had it as a loaner a few times). But for carpool, that won't work for me, and I need 3 rows. If you will be in that situation during your lease term, I'd go with the MDX--you'll get a well equipped vehicle for less than the BMW.

If you are driving 80 miles on your commute every day, why are you leasing? You are going to blow the mileage cap halfway through your lease. And, with that kind of mileage, the Jeep diesel might be a wise choice.
Old 10-29-14, 08:15 AM
tin369
Rookie

The highlander in the limited trim is very close to rx350 or the MDX, and I would rather enjoy some of the perks that come with a luxury vehicle.

For some reason, don't like the rdx and the glk is again too small like the Q5.

I think its coming down to the RX350 or the MDX.

mmarshall, I hear what you are saying about the comfort of the rx350, I also like the finish inside of the Lexus and it feel very luxurious, but I can't get past the driving and handling of it.

Macan will most likely go way over my budget if I option it out like some of the other cars mentioned here.
Old 10-29-14, 08:38 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Out of the list, I would pick MDX.
Old 10-29-14, 09:09 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

From your list, MDX, but from others, 100% agree with SW13GS on the Grand Cherokee. I had a 2011 Overland and loved it, sad I don't have it anymore. Recently evaluated the Summit EcoDiesel. Yes a little diesel chattery, but ultra smooth torque and good efficiency for that long commute you have. I would not hesitate to get one again.

While the RX may have some "comfort" I personally see the looser driving dynamics as more fatiguing/tiring over a longer drive (this is subjective of course).
Old 10-29-14, 09:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

the rx will be solid but it's not that quiet, not that comfortable (to me), and i don't like the weird center stack.

the highlander can't be had with HIDs, doesn't have LED tails, which was a bit of a turn off for me, and if you really look at the trim in 2nd/3rd row areas, some of it's pretty cheesy.

the 2014 jeep grand cherokee had issues with software on the new 8 speed transmission which seems to be behind them now. for a luxury 5 seater i believe it's the best value out there and REALLY luxurious in summit trim. the new platinum/california package gives body colored trim bits if you want more a less chromed look. it rides and drives really nicely. the v8 really sucks gas so not a fan of it, but the v6 is smooth and competitive economy. the diesel is pretty amazing but you pay more up front plus more for gas anyway, so the only real benefit is 700 miles between fill ups!

the mdx is decent, but it's annoying that to get radar cruise you have to take a back seat entertainment (screen) package.

the q5 seems dated to me now and rather plain.

the new lincoln mkc is also probably exactly what you want in terms of size and luxury. you should at least go check one out.

the x3 just isn't all that to me and as you say, gets expensive in a hurry.

the nx has the 'look at me' looks, and will no doubt be refined, but small and not quick.
Old 10-29-14, 09:41 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad have owned 4 Cherokees, all new . Three if which had computer issues and tranny but it was all covered under the warranty. As long as you leasing it, i would take it.

They are great in the snow and good over all suv with lots of room. My dad owned 2005 sport, 2007, 2009 and last one 2012 last 3 are all grand cherokee. He now ownes a 2009 Acura Rdx because of the financial dificulties

Last edited by FastTags; 10-29-14 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-29-14, 10:06 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Have you drove the RX F-Sport, it's stiffer than a regular RX350. You may prefer that ride.
Old 10-29-14, 03:28 PM
tin369
Rookie

i heard the 14 jeep gc had a lot of problems, and the 15s just came out so it will be a while before there is any conclusive evidence whether the fixed most of the issues with the 14s. but at the same time the 14 mdx also has a lot of issues, don't know if acura has fixed it for 15.

Quick Reply: Which SUV to buy?