Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which SUV to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-14, 10:05 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I definitely would recommend a MDX. It is the best well rounded luxury SUV out there that will be reliable and not cost a arm and a leg out of warranty.
Old 11-04-14, 10:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

RX350 all the way, but I think it is double the cost compared to the Rav4.
Old 11-12-14, 05:28 AM
tin369
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find this forum and its members extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I want to move from the rav4 only because it does not have some of the luxury features I am looking for.

I just wished that the RX would have handled a little better and the ride was a little more engaging. I like the size and the features and the luxuriousness it has, and the saddle tan seats...haha love that color, but can't get past the drive.

I was so looking forward to the NX, but from what I have read and seen, its small, and won't have adequate cargo space.

The MDX forum has so many threads with owners complaining, but I wonder if its only the 2014 model and not the 2015. I have yet to test drive the Jeep, but it has a lot of problems too, I don't want to spend all that money and taking it to the dealer every other week.

I had a question that you may or may not be able to answer, Since I am planning to lease, do you think lexus lets buyers move in to a newer vehicle before the lease ends, or like all other manufacturer, you must wait for the lease to end.
Old 11-12-14, 05:36 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tin369
I find this forum and its members extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I want to move from the rav4 only because it does not have some of the luxury features I am looking for.

I just wished that the RX would have handled a little better and the ride was a little more engaging. I like the size and the features and the luxuriousness it has, and the saddle tan seats...haha love that color, but can't get past the drive.

I was so looking forward to the NX, but from what I have read and seen, its small, and won't have adequate cargo space.

The MDX forum has so many threads with owners complaining, but I wonder if its only the 2014 model and not the 2015. I have yet to test drive the Jeep, but it has a lot of problems too, I don't want to spend all that money and taking it to the dealer every other week.

I had a question that you may or may not be able to answer, Since I am planning to lease, do you think lexus lets buyers move in to a newer vehicle before the lease ends, or like all other manufacturer, you must wait for the lease to end.
I don't think that's unusual. I think the owners of a particular vehicle are more likely to have complaints, as they live with a car and see flaws over time. The key is reading between the lines and figuring out if they are minor flaws or major flaws. I also think people are more likely to post about a problem they have, rather than praise.
Old 11-12-14, 08:52 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's highly dependent on the dealer and whatever promotions they happen to be running at whenever you're looking to get out of your car. Why don't you just sign up for a lease period that you're comfortable with?
Old 11-12-14, 09:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Its going to be similar in size to your Rav4, if not a little bigger. If you're okay with the size of the Rav you would be happy with the NX.

You can always trade out of a leased vehicle as long as the dealer will give you the residual buyout plus all the remaining payments. Thats true of any manufacturer.
Old 11-12-14, 11:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You can always trade out of a leased vehicle as long as the dealer will give you the residual buyout plus all the remaining payments. Thats true of any manufacturer.
With the OP racking up at least 20,000 per year, he's going to have to do *something* other than just turn in the vehicle at the end of the lease....
Old 11-12-14, 12:26 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

You are driving 80 miles each day, 400 miles per week, and about 20,000 miles each year...

DO NOT LEASE!!!! or the mileage penalties will eat you up.

Wait and get a NXh since you will need all the efficiency you can get.

I have gone through 2 RXes (405h and 350 both AWD) and I will NOT buy another 3rd Gen....I don't like the way it drives, too much noise, it squeaks and rattles. It also bounces a lot...

Just WAIT until you can test out the NX.
Old 11-12-14, 12:58 PM
MrAM
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised by your list, especially considering the best in its class isn't there. If I had to choose one from it, it would be the Q5 or the RX.

I believe the Mazda CX-5 is the one that you want. They are an awesome car. How come you didn't consider it?
Old 11-12-14, 01:10 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you looked at the '15 Outback 3.6R? Excellent value, cargo space and safety features.
Old 11-12-14, 01:35 PM
MrAM
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...or there's always the Porsche Macan.
Old 11-12-14, 02:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
You are driving 80 miles each day, 400 miles per week, and about 20,000 miles each year...

DO NOT LEASE!!!! or the mileage penalties will eat you up.
Not necessarily. I drive between 18,000-20,000 miles per year and I lease. I trade out at the end, and even if I did have to pay some mileage penalties at the end the tax savings and ease make it worth it for my situation.
Old 11-12-14, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Not necessarily. I drive between 18,000-20,000 miles per year and I lease. I trade out at the end, and even if I did have to pay some mileage penalties at the end the tax savings and ease make it worth it for my situation.

How are you getting extra tax savings from a lease-penalty for over-mileage? You can deduct the regular lease payment itself on Schedule A (Itemized Deductions) if you use the car for personal business, like for a traveling-salesman or real-estate agent. But can you also deduct any penalties that the dealer socks you for at the end of the lease-term if you don't stay within mileage-limits or the wear-and-tear clause? In other words, is that also considered part of the lease-payment for tax purposes? If so, then I was not aware of it.
Old 11-12-14, 04:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How are you getting extra tax savings from a lease-penalty for over-mileage? You can deduct the regular lease payment itself on Schedule A (Itemized Deductions) if you use the car for personal business, like for a traveling-salesman or real-estate agent. But can you also deduct any penalties that the dealer socks you for at the end of the lease-term if you don't stay within mileage-limits or the wear-and-tear clause? In other words, is that also considered part of the lease-payment for tax purposes? If so, then I was not aware of it.
Schedule A is not the correct form. I'm self employed so my vehicle is a business expense on my Schedule C.

I'm not saying I'm getting additional tax savings from going over mileage. I'm saying that the tax savings for leasing are such that I don't really worry about going over miles.As to whether or not mileage overage is deductible, its a little grey. I'd deduct it as an expense related to use of the vehicle. You can write off repairs, washing, detailing, etc etc...mileage overage is another expense.

FWIW, I have never paid anything for mileage overage. I trade out early.
Old 11-12-14, 04:54 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrAM
I'm surprised by your list, especially considering the best in its class isn't there. If I had to choose one from it, it would be the Q5 or the RX.

I believe the Mazda CX-5 is the one that you want. They are an awesome car. How come you didn't consider it?
Good gas milage too.

Quick Reply: Which SUV to buy?