Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which SUV to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 06:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

The 14 JGC had a lot of electrical problems early on, but they have been worked out. I would not hesitate (obviously) to do a 2015.
Old 10-29-14, 08:53 PM
raymondp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprised nobody recommended new 2015.5 Volvo xc60 E-drive T6 for you to check it out.
I have one on order to arrive in February. Trading my es 08 in
Old 10-29-14, 09:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by raymondp
I am surprised nobody recommended new 2015.5 Volvo xc60 E-drive T6 for you to check it out.
I have one on order to arrive in February. Trading my es 08 in
Congratulations. Let us know how you like it when it comes in.

You are correct that it is a credible alternative. Not everyone likes the way, though, that Volvo does their interiors and / or chassis. Plus, although there are several of them in my area, (NoVA/D.C. suburbs), the Volvo dealership-network across the U.S. is not as extensive as some of its rivals.
Old 10-30-14, 07:55 PM
raymondp
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Mike!
I enjoy reading your test-drive reports on this forum. I am finding that I have very similar likings to yours, in the way the design, comfort and style a vehicle presents it self.
Yes I certainly will share the experience of driving my Volvo with the members of this forum, when it arrives in February.
Although, I have done a substantial research and some test driving at the local dealer here in Vancouver area, before I came to conclusion, that this Volvo xc60 drive-E T6, impressed me most of this type of vehicles, and I put in an order.
Others were; Lexus RX350 - a bit road noise and higher fuel cost along with dated style, put me off
Infinity E 35 - too sporty for my desire.
Acura RDX - lacking in some of the safety and convineance features.
soon to arrive, Lexus NX - to severe exterior (very nice interior) for my taest.

In the Volvo I have found all the good things that I like. Hope it will work out to my satisfaction, when it finally arrives.
Excuse my english, it is evidently not my first language....
Old 10-31-14, 05:25 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO Volvo interior is just fugly. I hate that weird looking thing plate they have on all of their cars/trucks it just looks like a cheap kia. I have owned a 2004 Volvo S60, and the interior on a 10 year old car is so much better.
Attached Thumbnails Which SUV to buy?-xc60.jpg   Which SUV to buy?-xc90.jpg   Which SUV to buy?-s60r.png  
Old 10-31-14, 07:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by raymondp
Thanks Mike!
I enjoy reading your test-drive reports on this forum. I am finding that I have very similar likings to yours, in the way the design, comfort and style a vehicle presents it self.
Thanks. I tend not to to be an aggressive driver in my daily habits, but when I review a car, I don't just plod along like Grandma. At least a couple of times on the test-route, I sample-accelerate, brake, and steer hard enough (but not full-force) to get an idea of what the car is capable of in an emergency, and how it would react. Otherwise, IMO, you aren't doing a true review.....you're simply commenting on rolling from Point A to Point B.

But you're right.....if one wants the quickest 0-60/quarter-mile time, max-skidpad/G figure, or panic-braking distance, then my reviews are not for them. Go check Car & Driver or Road & Track magazine for that. But, if one wants a complete and through description of the car from stem to stern........I'm happy to oblige.

Yes I certainly will share the experience of driving my Volvo with the members of this forum, when it arrives in February.
Although, I have done a substantial research and some test driving at the local dealer here in Vancouver area, before I came to conclusion, that this Volvo xc60 drive-E T6, impressed me most of this type of vehicles, and I put in an order.
Others were; Lexus RX350 - a bit road noise and higher fuel cost along with dated style, put me off
Infinity E 35 - too sporty for my desire.
Acura RDX - lacking in some of the safety and convineance features.
soon to arrive, Lexus NX - to severe exterior (very nice interior) for my taest.

In the Volvo I have found all the good things that I like. Hope it will work out to my satisfaction, when it finally arrives.
Excuse my english, it is evidently not my first language....
Lexus puts a lot of sound insulation and refinement in the RX350. I'm surprised you found it noisy. However, the coarse and porous surfaces used on a lot of today's asphalt paving as an anti-skid feature DOES tend to increase road noise....and, of course, concrete is noisier than smooth asphalt simply by nature. That would apply to anything from a bare-bones subcompact to the quietest Rolls-Royce or limo.

Did you look at the Lincoln MKC? Or is that too small for your tastes?

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-31-14 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-31-14, 11:51 AM
raymondp
Driver School Candidate

True, lexus brand vehicles are generally very well insulated to keep the cabin quite, but the RX that I drove had a lot of road noise protruding into cabin. Maybe due to tires and coarse pavement on our streets.
Did find that the ride in the Volvo, seemed smoother and quieter , than in that particular RX.
I did do some research on Lincoln MXC, found that our local dealers did not show much interest in selling Lincoln over Ford products. Kind of lost the enthusiasm to pursue the mater further. It is a very nice looking car, and yes, it would be the right size for my TAIST. (Sorry for misspelling a lot of words)....
Old 10-31-14, 02:12 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
However, the coarse and porous surfaces used on a lot of today's asphalt paving as an anti-skid feature DOES tend to increase road noise....and, of course, concrete is noisier than smooth asphalt simply by nature. That would apply to anything from a bare-bones subcompact to the quietest Rolls-Royce or limo.
And this is very frustrating from a road noise perspective. TN is using this Microsurfacing technique, which they admit causes additional road noise due to its coarser texture. TDOT alleges this technique not only is more skid resistant in all weather conditions, but also requires minimal maintenance, resulting in a 65% savings compared to a normal asphalt overlay.

Since Volvo was mentioned, not sure when the new XC90 is coming, but that may be something to consider as well.

Last edited by wasjr; 10-31-14 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-31-14, 04:02 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I know its not there but keep the infiniti out of your list... We had the QX and at first we loved it but prob cause it was new to us... ended up selling it but actually broke even so it didnt hurt as much. Had tons of room but we never grew to love the sloppy handling. The Mrs. wasn't comfortable driving it... and by the time we sold it I finally admitted it was a lot of work on long trips. With that mass comes a lof of responsiblity to keep in check... from other cars merging into your lane to parking. Even with the sensors and back up camera... you can't just hop in and relax. It's work

MDX from your list but the Volvo interior looks pretty comfortable for the drive you do.

If you have a solid 401k coushin you can take out a personal loan from the 401k... pay the car off with it... and pay your loan back to your own 401k plan with a 1% finance charge. You will be paying yourself for your SUV. I've done this twice. Best part is you get to set your monthly car payment amount that is going back into the 401k plan right out of your paycheck. You'll never see it or miss it. The loan is paid right back into the 401k plus the 1%

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 10-31-14 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-31-14, 08:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
I know its not there but keep the infiniti out of your list... We had the QX and at first we loved it but prob cause it was new to us... ended up selling it but actually broke even so it didnt hurt as much. Had tons of room but we never grew to love the sloppy handling. The Mrs. wasn't comfortable driving it... and by the time we sold it I finally admitted it was a lot of work on long trips. With that mass comes a lof of responsiblity to keep in check... from other cars merging into your lane to parking. Even with the sensors and back up camera... you can't just hop in and relax. It's work
I think you're talking about the big QX SUV. Infiniti reworked their naming structure, the QX60 is a smaller 3 row crossover vehicle. By your description I don't think thats the vehicle you're talking about.
Old 11-01-14, 01:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by tin369
Hi All,

I need some guidance regarding which SUV to buy, pros and cons, functionality, tech and value.

I test drove the lexus RX350 but found it very soft, I currently drive a RAV4 V6 and want something luxury with some cargo space as well. 7 seta is not a necessity now. This will also mot likely be my daily commute over 80 miles a day as my wife likes to drive a sedan.

The ones that I am considering but not have driven extensively.

RX350
MDX
BMW X3
Q5

Don't like infinity and have heard that due to cvt its very slow to get go on the highways specially merging, bad fuel economy etc.

I was waiting for the NX, but from all the pre reviews and reading here looks like it will be smaller than what I want. I feel my RAV4 is a good size but only if had luxury in it and they stopped the V6.

The Q5 due to being small in the back seat and cargo is also not being considered.

A friend of mine just got a Jeep GC and for a price he got a lot of stuff including leather, remote start, heated front and back seats etc. but I have read and heard that the reliability is bad, so far he is happy with it but its just been only a month of ownership for him.

MDX is appealing because it handles very well, better than RX and you get the 3rd row just in case if you need to use it, has good MPG as well.

The X3 starts to become expensive as you add options, so doesn't look like a good value.

Also, I would be leasing unless the finance offer is better than lease offer.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
NX is not that smaller than Rav4, i would try it out if I was you... corradomr2 from here measured trunk of NX and RX, and they were pretty close... maximum difference in dimensions was something like 1".

So if Rav4 was fine, NX will be fine too... plus it seems like a great car too.
Old 11-03-14, 07:16 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
If you have a solid 401k coushin you can take out a personal loan from the 401k... pay the car off with it... and pay your loan back to your own 401k plan with a 1% finance charge. You will be paying yourself for your SUV. I've done this twice. Best part is you get to set your monthly car payment amount that is going back into the 401k plan right out of your paycheck. You'll never see it or miss it. The loan is paid right back into the 401k plus the 1%
Sorry, but this is absolutely HORRIBLE advice, for several reasons:

First, the simple math: Any money borrowed from your 401k is accomplished by liquidating investments, and is therefore no longer earning for you. My extremely conservative investments are currently earning about 5.1% annually, while the more aggressive selections in my son's college fund are running closer to 13%. So even in the short term you're stealing from yourself if you're actually paying prime+1% (would be 4.25% currently), as is the case with many plans--and the interest (not the principal) is taxable to boot. My credit union will give me a 60-month auto loan for 1.99%, which is typically the maximum term for a 401k loan. They'll also give me 2.99% for 72 months, or 3.79% for 84 months, if I was looking for lower payments..

In the longer term, the investment gains that you don't make during the loan period then becomes principal you don't have after the loan is repaid, so you're also stealing compound interest from yourself for the remainder of your working life.

But the true doomsday scenario is a job change. If you voluntarily switch jobs, or get fired or laid off, most plans will require that you repay the ENTIRE balance within 60 days. Any amount not repaid within the grace period then gets re-categorized as an early withdrawal, so you get to pay income tax on that balance, PLUS a 10% penalty.

Last edited by geko29; 11-03-14 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-03-14, 07:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Lexus puts a lot of sound insulation and refinement in the RX350. I'm surprised you found it noisy.
when was the last time you drove one? i've driven and been in a 14 a few times recently and was disappointed at how much road noise is present. it's not old honda accord type noisy but it's not befitting lexus. i've no doubt the next gen will be better.
Old 11-03-14, 07:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
NX is not that smaller than Rav4, i would try it out if I was you... corradomr2 from here measured trunk of NX and RX, and they were pretty close... maximum difference in dimensions was something like 1".

So if Rav4 was fine, NX will be fine too... plus it seems like a great car too.
but nx is not available yet. soon though, right?
Old 11-03-14, 07:59 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I wouldn't get the RX. It's near the end of its life where as the MDX is just beginning. The MDX is lighter, more power, and gets better MPG. The new chassis is very nice. It drives almost like a sedan, and the price is not too bad either.

Quick Reply: Which SUV to buy?