Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports says infotainment systems 'growing first-year reliability plague'

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-14, 06:42 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Companies cannot get enough good electrical engineers, every one of our clients in this space is hiring EE's..........
Old 10-28-14, 06:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
perhaps you can quote the text where they go out of their way.

people see 'worse than average' and it's a turn off. their terminology is reckless and irresponsible, not to mention their statistics are laughable at best.

1-2% of what? if one car is repaired 3 times out of a 100 and another is repaired 5 times out of 100 then the latter gets the black mark when 95 times out of a 100 the problem doesn't happen. that's reckless.

50% of all people are worse than average.

both the data collection process and the analysis are deeply flawed. hopefully one day a press outfit will expose them.
Reckless, irresponsible, laughable, flawed. I'm sensing you don't care for CR.:

Expose 'em? Maybe after all these years there's nothing to expose?

Personally, I'll read their Road Tests of cars that interest me, but don't follow the reliability reports closely.
Old 10-28-14, 07:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Expose 'em? Maybe after all these years there's nothing to expose?
more than half of americans believe in ghosts. there's no convincing some people.
Old 10-28-14, 07:52 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I assume that the IS 250 was ranked as the least reliable Lexus model because of the carbon buildup/misfire issue... which, as far as I know, Lexus has not corrected. Recalls, yes, but a fix, no. Is that still right?
Old 10-28-14, 08:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
What percentage of 2005 "infotainment" systems had failures or problems as compared to now? CR works with a lot of data, much more than is posted by CL users here, and has been around for 75 years. Your experience may differ from that of the data they collected from 1000s of other users. That doesn't make the magazine "useless."
exactly... CR simply takes feedback from the users about their satisfaction and issues with infotainment systems and reports it.

It is not CR that has the issue, it is users that are reporting it.

I also find it interesting how many people diss Lexus system and then we look here how bad both BMW's and MB's systems are.

As to reality - we know for instance that IS250 has system that likes/liked to freeze and be slow at times, hence it is lowest ranked Lexus... so reports definitely have merit to it.
Old 10-28-14, 08:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I assume that the IS 250 was ranked as the least reliable Lexus model because of the carbon buildup/misfire issue... which, as far as I know, Lexus has not corrected. Recalls, yes, but a fix, no. Is that still right?
uh, this is report about infotainment system reliability... not carbon buildup... IS250 has new nav that liked to freeze, i think that it is corrected now after few updates, not sure since I dont have IS.

New models like 2015 NX have "same" software but it works a lot faster and better, which is probably what all 2015 MY got recently.
Old 10-28-14, 08:36 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^This is CR's overall reliability study - one of the common themes was frustration with infotainment systems.
Old 10-28-14, 08:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

more than half of americans believe in ghosts. there's no convincing some people.
Ghosts, however, are not auto repairs. If a car won't start because the starter-motor or igntion-module craps out prematurely, that is not a ghost's fault.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-28-14 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-28-14, 08:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

1-2% of what? if one car is repaired 3 times out of a 100 and another is repaired 5 times out of 100 then the latter gets the black mark when 95 times out of a 100 the problem doesn't happen. that's reckless.
They are referring to one or two (or more) vehicles out of every 100 that need repairs in the same category (engine, transmission, brakes, electrial, etc...) not always the exact same repair.

Fine, except that this thread is not about people....except how often they report their auto repairs.

Look.....no one ever said the CR system is perfect...it's not. But, in almost 50 years, I have yet to see a better one.

hopefully one day a press outfit will expose them.
All I say is good luck. The press hasn't been able to expose anything yet, since 1936......when CR's first repair-chart came out. My strong advice is not to hold your breath waiting for it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-28-14 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-28-14, 09:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

perhaps you can quote the text where they go out of their way.

people see 'worse than average' and it's a turn off. their terminology is reckless and irresponsible, not to mention their statistics are laughable at best.

both the data collection process and the analysis are deeply flawed. hopefully one day a press outfit will expose them.
So, if only 49% of the owners of any particular car have a complete engine failure, the car has "above average" reliability??? The "average" isn't based on the number of cars sold--it's based on the number of problems. So, if the "average" car has a 5% probability of some particular problem, models with fewer problems are better than average, and models with more are worse than average.

If you have an issue with their data collection process, that's completely different.
Old 10-28-14, 02:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^This is CR's overall reliability study - one of the common themes was frustration with infotainment systems.
heh, sorry about that... as to IS250, certainly the infotainment was the biggest issue of it... i think it is a lot improved now anyway, and 2015 should be nice.
Old 10-28-14, 02:36 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
heh, sorry about that... as to IS250, certainly the infotainment was the biggest issue of it... i think it is a lot improved now anyway, and 2015 should be nice.
The infotainment system on my '14 IS350 is the one and only complaint I have with this otherwise fantastic car. It has its good days and it has its bad ones. It'll be going in to the dealer in two weeks for yet another firmware update to hopefully help correct some of the issues it has.
Old 10-28-14, 04:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

On the plus side yay Lexus
Old 10-28-14, 05:13 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I wonder what happened with the S class. Article states CLA and S class were worst performers.
Old 10-28-14, 06:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
I wonder what happened with the S class. Article states CLA and S class were worst performers.
is that something new? I believe we read some reports on issues new owners faced, but I forgot what it was exactly.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports says infotainment systems 'growing first-year reliability plague'