Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lotus Exige S gets automatic transmission option

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-14, 04:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Lotus Exige S gets automatic transmission option

Official: (and not available Stateside)

23 October 2014
Lotus Expands Exige Product Range with Introduction of Exige S Automatic

Offering the involvement of a manual paddle-shift with all the convenience of an automatic, the Exige S Automatic comes with a 6-speed transmission that has been specifically tailored to the sporty characteristics of the Exige.

Integrating smooth and intuitive gear shifts with engine response and exhaust note, the Exige S Automatic provides its driver with all round engagement and excitement and reflects the Lotus DNA of pure driving experience.

For drivers who enjoy a more spirited drive, the gear-shift characteristics have been calibrated to reflect the dynamic system changes that are activated when the driver selects either 'Sport' or 'Race' mode. Optimised gear selection and response deliver quicker all-round performance when a sportier experience is desired.

Jean-Marc Gales, Chief Executive Officer, Group Lotus plc said, "By introducing a paddle-shift, we have expanded the Exige product range to make it more accessible to customers worldwide. Now, customers who are more accustomed to two pedals and automatic transmissions can enjoy the unbelievable performance and handling of the Exige S without compromise."

The new Exige S Automatic is currently completing its final stages of testing and is anticipated to exceed the manual variant in performance when it goes on sale in January 2015. In fact, the Exige S with automatic transmission as fast as its manual counterpart around the Hethel testtrack and achieves the 0 - 100 km/h sprint achieving, 0.1 seconds quicker than the Exige S manual in 3.9 seconds.

Automatic transmission will be available as a cost option to the Exige S and Exige S Roadster models in all markets where the Exige is currently on sale. Prices for UK customers will be £2,000 including VAT and €2,185 in Europe excluding local taxes.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/26/l...atic-official/
Old 10-27-14, 05:53 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-14, 06:47 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bagwell
booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is that boo that we don't get this Stateside or boo cause dropping the 3-pedal is blasphemy to purists?
Old 10-27-14, 06:51 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I hope the shifts are lightning quick, otherwise they're going to **** off a lot of people!
Old 10-27-14, 06:51 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Is that boo that we don't get this Stateside or boo cause dropping the 3-pedal is blasphemy to purists?
the second one...I love manny trans! IDC if they are .1 or .5 sec slower, still more fun to drive!!!
Old 10-27-14, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

now there's the new alfa romeo 4c over here to give an alternative.
Old 10-28-14, 04:18 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bagwell
the second one...I love manny trans! IDC if they are .1 or .5 sec slower, still more fun to drive!!!
Are your TSX and A5 both stick?

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
now there's the new alfa romeo 4c over here to give an alternative.
Small sexy Italians..
Old 10-28-14, 04:56 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Are your TSX and A5 both stick?
both auto and boring.....very close to picking up a STI hatch tho
Old 10-28-14, 05:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

well, since we are CL let me put this out there - this is likely Aisin transmission that is also used for GS350?
Old 10-29-14, 10:53 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope it is like my 2IS. I have never been able to get my car hunting or in the wrong gear in all these years.
Old 10-29-14, 11:43 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

terrible. I had a lotus exige and it was the purest, possibly the best handling car i will ever get to drive (really would like to be proven wrong).

Putting in an autobox takes away what makes the car special. No one drives this thing for the purpose of going to work, going on a date, going to run errands. The clutch bites hard when cold, the thing is loud as hell (i wear ear plugs), and the attention it gets is off the the charts.

Though I have to admit, the shifting feel in the car was terrible. Vague, throws were overly long, and once in a while it will slap me out of gear the instant i put it into gear.
Old 10-29-14, 12:53 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it is a true automatic and not a dual clutch system?
Old 10-29-14, 01:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
terrible. I had a lotus exige and it was the purest, possibly the best handling car i will ever get to drive (really would like to be proven wrong).

Putting in an autobox takes away what makes the car special. No one drives this thing for the purpose of going to work, going on a date, going to run errands. The clutch bites hard when cold, the thing is loud as hell (i wear ear plugs), and the attention it gets is off the the charts.

Though I have to admit, the shifting feel in the car was terrible. Vague, throws were overly long, and once in a while it will slap me out of gear the instant i put it into gear.
so you dont buy auto? I dont get whats terrible about giving consumers options.

Terrible would be if they only had auto.

And Lotus has such low sales that anything they can do to raise them will help all of their current and future owners out.
Old 10-29-14, 01:12 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf

And Lotus has such low sales that anything they can do to raise them will help all of their current and future owners out.
But really, how many people are going to buy a lotus with an automatic? Many non enthusiast never heard of the car and rather have a car with brand recognition like BMW or Benz or Porsche if they were to get a 2 seater automatic car.
Old 10-29-14, 02:06 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

I mean seriously, is the choice of automatic the only reason why you would not spend 75k on a car that is small as hell, plastic, hard to get in and out, with literally zero seat padding, no sound insulation, and no rear window?

When I sold the lotus, everyone that said they want to see the car and drive it to see if its for them, I flat out told them that people who buy these know what are getting into (read: masochist). No one "tries" a lotus to see if its for them because lotus, specially the exige, is hardcore as f***. Believe me on this one.

And hence their problem, people want a high performance car but dont want the car to be in track mode 100% of the time. Auto or not it wont change it.

And rumor on the lotus forums is that it is a slush box, not an automated manual.

Quick Reply: Lotus Exige S gets automatic transmission option