Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Honda Accord Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-14, 06:26 AM
kesdjmarou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Life's too short to drive a car you hate.
Old 10-28-14, 08:05 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how about the tire pressure?
Old 10-28-14, 08:23 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
how about the tire pressure?
The tire pressure is fine, its the da mn suspension
Old 10-28-14, 10:46 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

^ lower the tire pressure by 4 points and see if you like it. I have done this with other cars to get close to the ride quality I desire. In one case I actually bumped it up by 2 points.
Old 10-28-14, 11:59 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

^ lower the tire pressure by 4 points and see if you like it. I have done this with other cars to get close to the ride quality I desire. In one case I actually bumped it up by 2 points.
Ok, I will try that thanks
Old 10-28-14, 12:22 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

It may be the difference between the "sporty" coupe and the more "refined" sedan. Yes, this generation of the Accord switched back from a double-wishbone to Mac Strut front suspension but that is probably not the explanation for the harsh and noisy ride.

My wife has a 2013 Accord LX with the 4-cyl Earth Dreams engine and CVT. I am not a great fan of it but not because it is harsh riding (I think that it looks and drives big and fat). The engine and suspension are quite smooth and quiet, better than I expected from a Honda after reading a number of reviews of (other, older) Honda cars and crossovers. (She test drove a 2013 CR-V also before deciding on the Accord, and its engine and suspension were rough, noisy and unrefined.)

I do agree about that driver-side wide-angle mirror -- it is an accident waiting to happen. Whenever a vehicle goes from being visible in the main portion of the mirror to the wide-angle portion, it greatly distorts the view; you cannot tell what is in that portion of the mirror. The engineer who designed that mirror should be stuck in a Groundhog Day endless loop trying to change lanes relying only on that mirror. Luckily, my wife stuck on a proper convex mirror that covers the bottom portion of the abomination; it helps to draw your focus away from the great distortion.
Old 10-28-14, 12:29 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FastTags
Ok, I will try that thanks

Be careful that you do not then get into under-inflation of the tires. Under-inflated tires greatly increase the risk of overheating and blowout, especially at high speed on the highway. That is what caused the problems with the Ford Exploder (sorry, Explorer) in the late 1990s / early 2000s.
Old 10-28-14, 12:41 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sulu
It may be the difference between the "sporty" coupe and the more "refined" sedan. Yes, this generation of the Accord switched back from a double-wishbone to Mac Strut front suspension but that is probably not the explanation for the harsh and noisy ride.

My wife has a 2013 Accord LX with the 4-cyl Earth Dreams engine and CVT. I am not a great fan of it but not because it is harsh riding (I think that it looks and drives big and fat). The engine and suspension are quite smooth and quiet, better than I expected from a Honda after reading a number of reviews of (other, older) Honda cars and crossovers. (She test drove a 2013 CR-V also before deciding on the Accord, and its engine and suspension were rough, noisy and unrefined.)

I do agree about that driver-side wide-angle mirror -- it is an accident waiting to happen. Whenever a vehicle goes from being visible in the main portion of the mirror to the wide-angle portion, it greatly distorts the view; you cannot tell what is in that portion of the mirror. The engineer who designed that mirror should be stuck in a Groundhog Day endless loop trying to change lanes relying only on that mirror. Luckily, my wife stuck on a proper convex mirror that covers the bottom portion of the abomination; it helps to draw your focus away from the great distortion.
I also put the blind spot mirror on all of my cars including the Accord. it helps but yea what a nightmare. I test drove the sedan, did not notice much difference, but then again I did not notices how bumpy the coupe was either.

I did find many complains about the bumpy ride on forums, I am not the only one who hates the rid quality
Old 10-28-14, 01:34 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Be careful that you do not then get into under-inflation of the tires. Under-inflated tires greatly increase the risk of overheating and blowout, especially at high speed on the highway. That is what caused the problems with the Ford Exploder (sorry, Explorer) in the late 1990s / early 2000s.
the TPMS will definitely help in this regard if he goes too low.
Old 10-28-14, 02:08 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastTags
2014 Honda Accord Coupe Review

About a moth ago I bought my wife a 2014 Accord Coupe. What a disappointment for both of us.
I have owned Hondas in the past including a 2008 Accord, and let me tell you the 2008 drives better than our 2014 accord.

If I am not mistaken on the new Accord models, Honda have taken out the double wish bone chassis, it may or may not be the reason why the car is a complete pile of crap. We cant take the car on any long trips, we feel every little stone, every little bump. The ride quality is no better then the Russian Lada. ---> link http://betterparts.org/gallery/lada-samara-01.html

I cant believe we paid $22,000 for it. We both test drove the car, but it just wasn't enough to realize how crappy the car is.

Not only it drives subpar, there are other things that bother me, like the split on the drivers mirror, it is so distracting that my wife almost hit another car. It looks like a blind spot, but it's not. It has no use only it distracts and takes up space.
I had a 2013 Accord for about a year and a half, I realize it's the prior model, but I felt the very same way. Honda is not what it used to be and I was very disappointed, to the point where I'll never buy another new Honda. I had so many little complains from odd fender gaps to uncomfortable seats and a shake in the steering wheel that I was told "is not out of line with specifications." And a test drive isn't enough to realize all of it's short-comings.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Save yourself the aggravation and sell it.

Life's too short to drive a car you hate.
Agreed, that's what I did. And I'm happy I did it. I have a GS now and will never look back.
Old 10-28-14, 08:15 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

the TPMS will definitely help in this regard if he goes too low.

Will it? My understanding of the TPMS (could be wrong) is that it monitors to the level you set it at. Pump up (or down) your tires to your desired pressure, hit the button to set the monitor for that particular air pressure and if it goes lower, it gives you a warning. But what if the level you set it to is already (much) lower than the recommended pressure? You could be monitoring to a lower-than-recommended (and perhaps dangerous) pressure.

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I had a 2013 Accord for about a year and a half, I realize it's the prior model, but I felt the very same way. Honda is not what it used to be and I was very disappointed, to the point where I'll never buy another new Honda. I had so many little complains from odd fender gaps to uncomfortable seats and a shake in the steering wheel that I was told "is not out of line with specifications." And a test drive isn't enough to realize all of it's short-comings.

The 2013 is the current model. MY 2013 was the first year of this current (9th) generation model.
Old 10-28-14, 08:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I have not driven a new Accord. Good friend of mine has the prior generation sedan, and while its built well I have ridden in it many times and too find it loud.
Old 10-28-14, 11:22 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2013 is the current model. MY 2013 was the first year of this current (9th) generation model.
Ahhh you are correct, I had a 2012 now that I think about it, but I bought it in 2013. I hated that car so much I've pushed even the most relevant details out of my head!
Old 10-29-14, 07:50 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Will it? My understanding of the TPMS (could be wrong) is that it monitors to the level you set it at. Pump up (or down) your tires to your desired pressure, hit the button to set the monitor for that particular air pressure and if it goes lower, it gives you a warning. But what if the level you set it to is already (much) lower than the recommended pressure? You could be monitoring to a lower-than-recommended (and perhaps dangerous) pressure.
Set it to monitor the factory recommended level, and then drop the pressure. If it goes too low, you will know it.
Old 10-29-14, 08:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

With regards to tire pressure...manufacturers now are recommending higher pressures so that they return better fuel economy. So, you can safely run pressures multiple PSI under the recommended pressure, its just going to hurt fuel economy.

On my cars I run 2-3 PSI under the factory pressures and get even wear and a much better ride. The Jeep recommends 36 and I run 33, Lexus recommends 33 and I run 30-31.