Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Toyota Avalon Touring Sport Edition announced

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-14, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The new Avalon's poorer ride quality has been well documented with widespread agreement that it isn't the same as past gen cars. That raises the question, has it effected sales? It doesn't look like it.
No, as you yourself point out with the YTD figures, it obviously hasn't...which, considering the primary audience for the former versions, is somewhat surprising. It gets back to what I said in a previous post.....I think a number of people are buying this car (and the even firmer Touring version) without doing their homework to find out what they're getting.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's like a bmw 3/4 series... doesn't matter what they do, it sells.
Yep...Bitkahuna brings up another good example. The 3-series still sells on its previous reputation, even though the new suspension, electric steering, and more mainstream road-manners make this once "Ultimate Driving Machine" only a shadow of its former self.
Old 10-26-14, 08:26 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny that the Avalon gets criticized for years as being boring and a geezer cruiser... Toyota changes the mission and goes after the Maxima, and people complain about the ride quality. Come on!

This new Avalon is quite simply not the same car as it was before. The direction changed... it's as simple as that. Most of the people I see driving them are 40-50 year old men, not the same 70+ crowd as the old Avalon. Sales are still out of the water, a few years into the product cycle, so it's clear that Toyota has a very successful product here - firmer ride or not

I've driven the new Avalon and really like it. If they had an AWD option and scratched that weird "plate" on the center console, I'd really consider buying one. I love how the car looks and feels.
Old 10-26-14, 10:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Funny that the Avalon gets criticized for years as being boring and a geezer cruiser... Toyota changes the mission and goes after the Maxima, and people complain about the ride quality. Come on!

This new Avalon is quite simply not the same car as it was before. The direction changed... it's as simple as that. Most of the people I see driving them are 40-50 year old men, not the same 70+ crowd as the old Avalon. Sales are still out of the water, a few years into the product cycle, so it's clear that Toyota has a very successful product here - firmer ride or not

I've driven the new Avalon and really like it. If they had an AWD option and scratched that weird "plate" on the center console, I'd really consider buying one. I love how the car looks and feels.
That pretty much sums it up. Great interior, great looks, great car.
Old 10-27-14, 01:24 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See plenty of younger guys pushin avalons. 99% dont care how fast it slaloms, they just like the new look. Big wheels and a 'sport' badge will attract more buyers.
Old 10-27-14, 05:28 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, the obvious car for the guy whose wife won't let him buy a Corvette is the Chevy SS. In fact, they pretty much have the same drivetrain, except that the SS does not offer a true three-pedal manual.
....until MY2015
Old 10-27-14, 07:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

at the end, proof is in the pudding as they say, and sales of new model skyrocketed... old geezer model from past had sales dwindle to almost nothing.
Old 10-27-14, 08:44 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I like it.
Glad toyota is able to offer more sportiness in their line up.
Old 10-27-14, 09:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
at the end, proof is in the pudding as they say, and sales of new model skyrocketed... old geezer model from past had sales dwindle to almost nothing.
Exactly, the market for old geezermobiles is dead.
Old 10-27-14, 11:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
In every generation there have always been cars favored by an older crowd so there will always be certain cars designated as geezer mobiles.
Old 10-27-14, 11:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
true, when defining 'geezermobiles' as hugely heavy, floating, land barges.

In every generation there have always been cars favored by an older crowd so there will always be certain cars designated as geezer mobiles.
also true.
Old 10-27-14, 11:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Funny that the Avalon gets criticized for years as being boring and a geezer cruiser...
Can't speak for anyone else, but I NEVER criticized the former Avalon's ride. I liked the way the first American-market version drove, in 1994, and the two following generations as well (though the 2Gen interior was not very impressive). The current model, though, while retaining an excellent powertrain like earlier models, I found disappointing in many ways.....thin sheet metal, flimsy-feeling interior hardware, and a noticeably firmer ride.

This new Avalon is quite simply not the same car as it was before. The direction changed... it's as simple as that. Most of the people I see driving them are 40-50 year old men, not the same 70+ crowd as the old Avalon.
A number of those 70+ people may just be hanging onto their old Avalons (we see that to an extent with the Caddy DTS and Lincoln Town Car). Or, if they ARE buying the new Avalon, perhaps simply doing so blindly without really looking to see what they are getting. (Believe me, it happens every day......hoardes of people buy cars simply by name, reputation, and image, and don't bother to evaluate them under the skin). Of course, that's part of what we do here in CAR CHAT...evaluate.

You might want to take a look at the Venza. In the American market, it is probably the closest thing to an AWD Avalon (being done on the same general Camry/Avalon platform) and including an AWD option. And, yes, if you want a firm ride.....you will get it with the Venza's standard 19" and 20" wheels.
Old 10-27-14, 12:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
true, when defining 'geezermobiles' as hugely heavy, floating, land barges.

also true.
Yes that is what I was referring to. Geezermobiles such as the Town Car or Fleetwood.
Old 10-27-14, 12:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, on the other side if there was a market for geezermobiles, then Lincoln or Cadillac might offer them? I highly doubt they would sell in the current climate and the brand image looks bad because of these cars.
Old 10-27-14, 03:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A number of those 70+ people may just be hanging onto their old Avalons (we see that to an extent with the Caddy DTS and Lincoln Town Car).
Again, just to fact check you for those playing the home game:

1. Avalon sales are up, not flat or down, so its hard to say that the changes they made hurt their sales. You see me ***** about the ES' interior. Well...people buy a ton of them, so what is my complaining good for? Nothing.

2. Cadillac XTS sales are on par with the best years of the last version DTS. So, again, hard to say Cadillac made a mistake by axing it.

3. Lincoln MKS Sales are higher than the last few years of Town Car sales, despite it being ourdated at this point. Hard to say Lincoln made a mistake.

As you remember, I have posted sources for this before...these are facts.

Carry on
Old 10-27-14, 04:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Again, just to fact check you for those playing the home game:

1. Avalon sales are up, not flat or down, so its hard to say that the changes they made hurt their sales. You see me ***** about the ES' interior. Well...people buy a ton of them, so what is my complaining good for? Nothing.

2. Cadillac XTS sales are on par with the best years of the last version DTS. So, again, hard to say Cadillac made a mistake by axing it.

3. Lincoln MKS Sales are higher than the last few years of Town Car sales, despite it being ourdated at this point. Hard to say Lincoln made a mistake.

As you remember, I have posted sources for this before...these are facts.

Carry on
Time and time again some members push for the old man geezermobiles without showing any data to back it up. Those models are done, there is no chance they would sell in this current climate. You would think some of these car manufacturers might know what they are doing.

Quick Reply: 2015 Toyota Avalon Touring Sport Edition announced