Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Toyota Avalon Touring Sport Edition announced

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-14, 04:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. Only the dealerships will profit.
Actual buyers who pop for it will get something too. A car they like for whatever the reasons.
Old 10-24-14, 05:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Just not liking the blue interior dash trim.

All else is fine, but out of character for this car. An ultra luxury edition with real wood trim, premium leather, and wheels would have been more appropriate. But then again, with the Corolla and Camry having "sport" editions, was a matter of time the Avalon would get some of this injection.
Old 10-24-14, 06:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Just not liking the blue interior dash trim.

All else is fine, but out of character for this car. An ultra luxury edition with real wood trim, premium leather, and wheels would have been more appropriate. But then again, with the Corolla and Camry having "sport" editions, was a matter of time the Avalon would get some of this injection.
well, not really surprising since theme of Avalon redesign was sporty... this just brings it up tiny bit.

And of course, Avalon now has different set of buyers than 10yrs ago... If i remember correctly from Toyota PR's, a lot younger.

These days 99% of "sport" editions have nothing to do with handling or engine but rather the looks, and customers prefer it that way since they buy loads of them.
Old 10-24-14, 06:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The Avalon is such a nice vehicle inside and out. Would love to own one some day.
Old 10-24-14, 07:19 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, now where is my supra sport edition ?
Old 10-25-14, 07:37 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i love the new Avalon. it's very athletic looking begin with, now with this package no doubt it'll attract younger buyers. motor trend even mentioned believe it or not Avalon is the best handling sedan in Toyota's lineup, beating out even the Camry SE V6. the only thing i hope they get bigger enfortainment screen, the current 6 inch display is way too small for this sedan.
Old 10-25-14, 09:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym
motor trend even mentioned believe it or not Avalon is the best handling sedan in Toyota's lineup, beating out even the Camry SE V6.

It ought to be, the way they stiffened the tires and underpinnings last year.
Old 10-25-14, 09:53 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

C'mon guys.

If Gramps wants to feel 20 years younger by driving this trim level, let him!

Old 10-25-14, 10:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not to get too deeply into stereotypes, but my guess is that most of those 2500 customers will be AARP members or others who simply see the name (Avalon) on the trunk lid, don't bother to check out what they are actually getting underneath (I've seen that happen before with some SE Nissan models), sign on the dotted line, take them home, and then drive them around just like they would any other Avalon (in other words, like a Buick Lacrosse). And the dealership will like it because they profit a little more on special trim-packages and versions like that.
lol - this is the car for a guy who has a wife that won't let him buy a corvette.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Exactly...which is why this trim package is just ridiculous.
agree.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Avalon is such a nice vehicle inside and out. Would love to own one some day.
having spent quite a bit of time in this new one, i'm not impressed. it's noisier than it should be, the weird sloping center 'thing' is unusual at best, and the ride is hard with the limited's big wheels.

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i love the new Avalon. it's very athletic looking begin with, now with this package no doubt it'll attract younger buyers.
younger than 70 maybe.
Old 10-25-14, 10:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Happy owners of a new Avalon Touring Sport:

Old 10-25-14, 04:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The new Avalon's poorer ride quality has been well documented with widespread agreement that it isn't the same as past gen cars. That raises the question, has it effected sales? It doesn't look like it. In 2013 they sold 71k Avalons (+140%) and are on pace for 67k-70k this year, in the U.S. alone. Add in Canada, and that's a lot of cars. I guess the AARP'sters don't mind too much.
Old 10-26-14, 09:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

^^^ it's like a bmw 3/4 series... doesn't matter what they do, it sells.

and even gramps kinda likes the idea of still being thought of as sporty.
Old 10-26-14, 09:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^^ it's like a bmw 3/4 series... doesn't matter what they do, it sells.

and even gramps kinda likes the idea of still being thought of as sporty.
Yes we, 'er, they do.
Old 10-26-14, 10:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The new Avalon's poorer ride quality has been well documented with widespread agreement that it isn't thre same as past gen cars. That raises the question, has it effected sales? It doesn't look like it. In 2013 they sold 71k Avalons (+140%) and are on pace for 67k-70k this year, in the U.S. alone. Add in Canada, and that's a lot of cars. I guess the AARP'sters don't mind too much.
I wouldn't call it poorer ride quality. I would say its firmer and more composed which is what the segment demanding.

Sales figures of the Avalon are doing well, people don't want soft riding boats of the past.
Old 10-26-14, 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lol - this is the car for a guy who has a wife that won't let him buy a corvette.
Actually, the obvious car for the guy whose wife won't let him buy a Corvette is the Chevy SS. In fact, they pretty much have the same drivetrain, except that the SS does not offer a true three-pedal manual.

having spent quite a bit of time in this new one, i'm not impressed. it's noisier than it should be, the weird sloping center 'thing' is unusual at best, and the ride is hard with the limited's big wheels.
Correct.....and not to mention some of the paper-thin plastic materials used for some of the interior parts.

Quick Reply: 2015 Toyota Avalon Touring Sport Edition announced