Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-14, 10:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-2927999/

Engine: 5.7L V8
Power: 381 HP / 401 LB-FT
Transmission: 6-Speed Auto
Drivetrain: Four-Wheel Drive
Engine Placement: Front
Curb Weight: 5,470 LBS
Towing: 10,000 LBS
Seating: 2+3
MPG: 13 City / 17 HWY
Warranty: 3 Years / 36,000 Miles
Base Price: $41,285
As-Tested Price: $42,385

Despite the earnest efforts of Japanese automakers like Toyota and Nissan, the American pickup truck scene remains wholly dominated by the likes of Ford, General Motors and Chrysler. This is not news. Part of the reason is because of the sheer number of variants offered by US automakers – everything from work-spec base trucks to house-leveling heavy duty models can be had, with a seemingly endless combination of engines, cab sizes, bed lengths and trim levels. It's a hugely profitable business, and though the Japanese automakers still offer competitive fullsize trucks, in terms of sheer volume, they simply don't compete.

But American pickups aren't just about work; there's a huge play aspect involved, too. Look at the desert-storming Ford F-150 SVT Raptor or the Ram Power Wagon – these butch trucks are built with superb off-road prowess in mind, and Detroit's Japanese rivals have once again largely been silent in this segment. Until now.

Introduced at the 2014 Chicago Auto Show, Toyota now offers the TRD Pro series of models that, in addition to the crazy-orange Tundra seen here, includes the smaller Tacoma pickup and 4Runner SUV. And this isn't just some pretty appearance package, either – there's honest-to-goodness capability baked into all of the TRD Pro models. Intriguing, for sure, so I recently spent a weekend with the big boy Tundra to see what's what.

Driving Notes
  • Let me get this admission out of the way right now: I was offered a short, last-minute test of this pre-production model (notice the missing "T" from the grille), so I didn't take it off road. Correction: I drove through some abandoned lots in dismal Detroit settings and blasted down some manicured dirt roads, but that hardly counts.
  • Had I found some suitably rough trails to blaze, the TRD Tundra is equipped with goodies to make it more capable than other Tundras. There are uniquely tuned Bilstein shocks at all four corners, as well as TRD springs that not only offer two extra inches of ride height up front, but also include decreased rates that make the ride a bit more forgiving when crawling over harsh terrain. Of course, the flip side to this is that the Tundra's on-road manners are more vague, with pronounced body roll and less feedback through the front suspension. The TRD Pro offers a smooth and comfortable ride on highways and city streets, but the P255/40R18 Michelin ORP tires don't offer a ton of grip on the pavement (it's really easy to get them to chirp) and they're noisy at freeway speeds.
  • Speaking of freeway speeds, the Tundra TRD Pro gets there with ease thanks to the plentiful power on offer from the 5.7-liter naturally aspirated V8. 381 horsepower and 401 pound-feet of torque is more than enough for this truck, and the TRD dual exhaust gives it a pretty sweet aural element. There's a nice burble upon idle, and a progressive growl that's certainly more pronounced than in the standard Tundra, yet it still won't wake your neighbors.
  • This Toyota still can't really compare to the outgoing Ford SVT Raptor, however, a truck that offers more power from its 6.2-liter V8 and substantially revised suspension geometry that makes it a more formidable off-road monster. I've driven the Raptor on-road, though, and it feels about the same as this TRD Pro – quick, somewhat vague, and kind of fun to bomb around in.
  • Toyota sets its TRD Pro models apart with some noticeable visual tweaks, including the Inferno orange paint you see here. Additionally, the Pro gets a unique front grille, blacked-out headlamp bezels, 18-inch black wheels, red stitching throughout the interior, a TRD shift **** and floor mats, plus the obligatory TRD Pro badging on the exterior.
  • Moving back to the cabin, it isn't otherwise changed from the standard Tundra, with thick, comfortable, cloth seats, and an easy-to-use center stack with Toyota's Entune infotainment system. Buyers can opt for either the Double Cab version seen here or the larger CrewMax cab configuration.
  • The Tundra TRD Pro is available at dealerships now, priced from $41,285, not including $1,100 for destination. Stepping up to the CrewMax will set you back $43,900. That's a slight discount over the $44,995 2014 F-150 SVT Raptor, but in my book, you get what you pay for.
  • And really, that's what it comes down to. The Tundra TRD Pro is plenty good, from what I can surmise from my limited time with it, and it offers a unique take on the company's truck with added style and a bit more capability built in. It's nice to see Toyota expanding its Tundra models beyond its standard offerings, but once again, the Tundra is not likely to stand out against its American competition, bright orange paint or not.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/23/2...k-spin-review/
Old 10-24-14, 12:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Its too bad because the Tundra is a nice truck, but the competition from the big three have better offerings.
Old 10-24-14, 06:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

toyota shouldn't have bothered. the raptor will eat this for breakfast.
Old 10-24-14, 08:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
toyota shouldn't have bothered. the raptor will eat this for breakfast.
They knew it wouldn't go up against Raptor, yet they also know they can still sell every one of this limited production model they make for strong profit with minimal development. So it's pretty much a slam dunk for Toyota to do.
Old 10-24-14, 09:22 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if it was as super-bad as the Raptor, to skimp on the looks so much is almost embarassing. BUT as the previous op said, they'll probably sell well. And gaining hold in the market has to start somewhere. I remember rumblings of a super-wicked-evil LS but it never came about. But it's about the buzz......
Old 10-24-14, 12:25 PM
Hoovey689

This is the kind of product that only Toyota enthusiasts would buy, not truck enthusiasts
Old 10-24-14, 01:02 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
This is the kind of product that only Toyota enthusiasts would buy, not truck enthusiasts
This is specifically for Toyota Truck enthusiasts, who can be just as passionate and brand loyal as the American truck brands...
Old 10-24-14, 01:07 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by pbm317
This is specifically for Toyota Truck enthusiasts, who can be just as passionate and brand loyal as the American truck brands...
Thought I said that?

maybe worded differently but that was the point yes
Old 10-24-14, 01:10 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I was going to say the same. I've never driven one, but I imagine it's a well put together vehicle that any Toyota fan will love for simple light-duty tasks.

But damn, the truck is uglier than if Honey Boo Boo's mom had a kid with Steve Buscemi.
Old 10-24-14, 02:22 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Diehard Toyota truck fans would jump on it, but American trucks still dominate this segment. I wouldn't buy any American brand cars, but if I'm in the market for a truck, I would only look those from Ford, Dodge, Chevy etc.

Another thing Toyota should improve on the Tundra, is the GAS MILEAGE!!!
Old 10-24-14, 03:54 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Thought I said that?

maybe worded differently but that was the point yes
Ah ok, you made it sound like truck enthusiasts, period, wouldn't buy the TRD Pro. Granted there aren't as many Toyota Truck enthusiasts and Chevy/Ford/Ram truck enthusiasts, but they're still a fiercely loyal group, especially the Tacoma folks. This is for them. They already do a lot of the similar mods as the TRD Pro's have, just now it's fully tuned and backed by the engineering and factory warranty of Toyota.
Old 10-24-14, 04:25 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by pbm317
Ah ok, you made it sound like truck enthusiasts, period, wouldn't buy the TRD Pro. Granted there aren't as many Toyota Truck enthusiasts and Chevy/Ford/Ram truck enthusiasts, but they're still a fiercely loyal group, especially the Tacoma folks. This is for them. They already do a lot of the similar mods as the TRD Pro's have, just now it's fully tuned and backed by the engineering and factory warranty of Toyota.
and I'm sure they're starting to line up for the 2016 Tacoma. Current one is circa MY05 iirc
Old 01-12-22, 04:14 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Had a 2015 Limited. My wife bought it and liked it a lot. I couldn’t hardly ride in it it rode so stiff. No pr tailgate, no blind spot monitor, small screen, always infotainment issues, no emergency safety systems etc.etc. etc. And the V6 was so underpowered with the 5 speed trans. This car was truly a pooch dressed up in a nice looking body. Unless your wheeling it makes no sense even existing. When we traded it for a 2017 Grand Cherokee Limited it improved my life immensely.
Old 01-12-22, 09:41 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you sure you're talking about the right vehicle? The last year of the V6 availability was 2014.
Old 01-12-22, 09:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

maybe kennyr44's referring to a 4runner.