Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > Car Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Acura confirms "Substantial Changes" to 2016 ILX @ LA Auto Show (Page 3)

Old 10-22-14, 11:21 AM   #1
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Default Acura confirms "Substantial Changes" to 2016 ILX @ LA Auto Show (Page 3)

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Launched in 2012 as a 2013 model, the Honda Civic-based Acura ILX compact sedan is gearing up for some “big changes” at this year’s Los Angeles Auto Show.

At least that’s what Acura says in the statement accompanying a teaser photo of the 2016 ILX. Honda’s luxury arm says the 2016 ILX will be substantially new, gaining “a potent new powertrain, more forceful, sporty exterior styling, and substantially upgraded interior design.”

In terms of design though, the teaser photo doesn’t http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hG2paymrPD...LX-0.jpgreveal any radical changes. The only obvious upgrade at the rear of the car is the different arrangement of the light clusters, with the taillights possibly getting LED technology. However, more changes may be operated at the front end of the car.

Acura also says the 2016 ILX will deliver sharper performance as well as more comfort, convenience and safety features. The 2016 Acura ILX will debut on November 20 at the Los Angeles Auto Show.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/10/acu...bstantial.html
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Vh_Supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-14, 12:36 PM   #2
Hoovey2411
Trader Score: (16)

Good, ILX needs an overhaul. Wonder what engine they are planning. Maybe some new Earth Dreams
|Version 3.5 |TLN #918|
GIANTS|NINERS|SHARKS|WARRIORS
Hoovey2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-14, 12:45 PM   #3
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)

Although the ILX is (admittedly) selling better now than before, its closest competitor Verano is still trumping it in sales. That's primarily because of the ILX's noisy, unrefined ride. If Acura really wants to make this car more competitive, more power is not necessarily the way to do it.....what it needs most is more sound insulation, more give in the suspension, and better interior trim.
Old 10-23-14, 12:58 PM   #4
GSteg
Rookie
Trader Score: (14)

Hopefully it gets the 8spd DCT from the TLX.
GSteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-14, 01:30 PM   #5
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (3)

Send a message via AIM to MPLexus301

"Substantial" I am certainly hoping for. Acura definitely has an opportunity in this segment, but the ILX was such a half-assed effort out of the gate. I am growing to like the TLX a lot, and look forward to seeing what they do with the ILX.
MPLexus301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-14, 01:42 PM   #6
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSteg View Post
Agreed...that certainly couldn't hurt. But that may (?) be too expensive a transmission to use in a car of the ILX's price-range..........or it just might not fit in the available underhood space. And, it will be interesting to see what adding the sound isolation and trim-improvments that I'd like to see also potentially does to the price).
Old 10-23-14, 02:18 PM   #7
stlgrym3
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (2)

Quote:
it should and i expect it's getting a slightly detuned version of the 2.4 ED I4 on TLX
stlgrym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-14, 07:38 PM   #8
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (17)

ilx sightings for me have been less frequent than seeing bigfoot, but when it happens i find the ilx to be quite attractive in motion. too bad the 'content' has been so unbelievably weak. i can only imagine people who have bought them know almost nothing about cars or what's available for similar money. so if they can up the content, refinement and value, they might have something that appeals to more than the automotively clueless.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-14, 10:39 PM   #9
Hoovey2411

It's amazing that you can't get Navigation on the 2.0 (highest trim) model

hope they rectify this
|Version 3.5 |TLN #918|
Old 10-24-14, 03:20 AM   #10
Fizzboy7
Lexus Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Fizzboy7

Looks like Civic EX rims, bleh. They also appear to stick out like spinners. Double bleh.
Old 10-24-14, 03:33 PM   #11
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

I know a lot of Honda fans wanted an coupe version.
Vh_Supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-14, 05:18 PM   #12
Hoovey2411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26 View Post
I know a lot of Honda fans wanted an coupe version.
ala Integra/RSX ressurect
|Version 3.5 |TLN #918|
Old 10-24-14, 06:30 PM   #13
Sulu
Lead Lap

Quote:

I believe that Honda's 8-speed DCT is but a marketing term. Anybody who knows Honda automatic transmissions ("Hondamatics") know that they are NOT normal slushbox (planetary gearset) transmissions but are similar to manual transmissions (albeit with a torque converter rather than a clutch), featuring sliding gears on parallel axes. All Hondamatics since Honda's first 2-speed semi-automatic transmissions in 1973 have used this unique transmission design to avoid patent issues with planetary gear automatic transmission designs.

Since that first automatic transmission in 1973, all subsequent Honda automatics have used the similar design, even as the number of transmission ratios grew (slowly) to 3, 4, 5, 6 and now -- I believe -- 8 speeds. With the parallel axes, similar to modern dual-clutch, sequential-shifting automated-manual gearboxes, it was only natural that Honda Marketing would want to label their new 8-speed Hondamatic a DCT.

I believe, however, that the 9-speed transmission they use is provided by ZF (the ZF 9HP NOT produced by Honda) and is a true planetary gear automatic transmission.
Sulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-14, 06:39 PM   #14
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLexus301 View Post
"Substantial" I am certainly hoping for. Acura definitely has an opportunity in this segment, but the ILX was such a half-assed effort out of the gate. I am growing to like the TLX a lot, and look forward to seeing what they do with the ILX.
In Canada, since MY 1997, we've been "blessed" with the EL and CSX

For us, the ILX was finally a minimal exercise in Honda badge engineering, and hopefully the MY 2016 ILX is further distinguished from its Civic cousin.
Attached Thumbnails
Acura confirms "Substantial Changes" to 2016 ILX @ LA Auto Show (Page 3)-1997-acura-el-723560-1-sm.jpg   Acura confirms "Substantial Changes" to 2016 ILX @ LA Auto Show (Page 3)-2516.jpg   Acura confirms "Substantial Changes" to 2016 ILX @ LA Auto Show (Page 3)-09387_2009_acura_csx.jpg  

Previous: '13 RX F Sport, '11 CT, '08 IS AWD, '07 RXh, '04 RX

Last edited by corradoMR2; 10-24-14 at 06:44 PM..
corradoMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-14, 02:00 PM   #15
UDel
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulu View Post
I believe that Honda's 8-speed DCT is but a marketing term. Anybody who knows Honda automatic transmissions ("Hondamatics") know that they are NOT normal slushbox (planetary gearset) transmissions but are similar to manual transmissions (albeit with a torque converter rather than a clutch), featuring sliding gears on parallel axes. All Hondamatics since Honda's first 2-speed semi-automatic transmissions in 1973 have used this unique transmission design to avoid patent issues with planetary gear automatic transmission designs.

Since that first automatic transmission in 1973, all subsequent Honda automatics have used the similar design, even as the number of transmission ratios grew (slowly) to 3, 4, 5, 6 and now -- I believe -- 8 speeds. With the parallel axes, similar to modern dual-clutch, sequential-shifting automated-manual gearboxes, it was only natural that Honda Marketing would want to label their new 8-speed Hondamatic a DCT.

I believe, however, that the 9-speed transmission they use is provided by ZF (the ZF 9HP NOT produced by Honda) and is a true planetary gear automatic transmission.
The transmission in the new 4 cyl TLX is a DCT but it also has a torque converter built in to smooth out starts, it is not like their other transmissions.
Old 10-25-14, 02:00 PM