Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New here, used Lexus recommendations?

Old 03-14-15, 10:13 PM
Abdub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here, used Lexus recommendations?

Howdy Club Lexus!

I've been in the market for a new car and I've always loved Lexuses. (Lexus', Lexi?) I'm looking to buy a new car for between $5k-$7k and I would love for it to be a Lexus. Style, reliability, and performance all in one...

I was going to make a classifieds post, but I didn't know I had to have the permissions for it.

Anyway, I'm in the Southeast Wisconsin area (the most Southeast city in Wisconsin, which is Kenosha) and I'm just trying to see what's out there, so if you know anyone in the area (or possibly you yourself) are looking to part ways with a Lexus, let me know.

I'm looking for a GS300/400/430 or an LS430 (the LS400's look too dated for my tastes). I'd consider an ES300 but it has to look nice (they can also appear quite easily dated). I know that Toyota builds last forever, but my stipulations are that it has to be under 150k miles and I have to be able to drive it before I can buy it. (If this post voids any rules, let me know, I'll edit the buying part out.)

Anywho, howdy Club Lexus!! Hope to see you on the other side of the title

Last edited by Abdub; 03-15-15 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-15-15, 12:17 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Welcome to the forums
Old 03-15-15, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL as a new poster.

The main thing I would be concerned about If I was looking at an older Toyota or Lexus of that vintage would be to avoid those with the 3.0L V6, unless you have access to a documented complete list of oil-changes and service. That's not to say that very older 3.0L V6 will have major problems and/or failure, but that engine had a well-known problem of sludge and gelling if oil changes were not meticulous....it was simply unforgiving of extended drain-intervals. That was partly because of narrow oil passages inside the engine (which was done to try and make it run hot enough for lower emissions) sometimes made the oil run too hot, which shortened its service-life and sometimes led to gelling.
Old 03-15-15, 07:03 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

The main thing I would be concerned about If I was looking at an older Toyota or Lexus of that vintage would be to avoid those with the 3.0L V6, unless you have access to a documented complete list of oil-changes and service. That's not to say that very older 3.0L V6 will have major problems and/or failure, but that engine had a well-known problem of sludge and gelling if oil changes were not meticulous....it was simply unforgiving of extended drain-intervals. That was partly because of narrow oil passages inside the engine (which was done to try and make it run hot enough for lower emissions) sometimes made the oil run too hot, which shortened its service-life and sometimes led to gelling.
I didn't realize the sludge problem was that widespread.
Old 03-15-15, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pamperme
I didn't realize the sludge problem was that widespread.
For the most part, it was limited to that particular engine.....but that was also a popular engine, used in several different hot-selling Toyota/Lexus models.
Old 03-15-15, 09:42 PM
Abdub
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Welcome to the forums
Thank you!

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I'm assuming you're referring to the 2JZ? I read a little about that, but the article I read said it occurred more in the 1MZ-FEs.
Old 03-16-15, 08:10 AM
Abdub
Driver School Candidate

How about this guy? It's got some cosmetic defects but those can all be corrected.

http://www.russdarrowchrysler.net/us...92a8f8b01f.htm

I know I'd have to go to a body shop to get an accurate estimate, but could give me a ballpark on how much it'd cost to fix the outside of this? There's a crack in the front-right bumper and then there appears to be a sideswipe of something that happened on the rear right door.

I'm not sure why it's got the platinum series badges because I don't think it's a platinum series. Probably because the last owner thought it looks cool (which it does, but you gotta get the grill matching too )
Old 03-19-15, 09:37 PM
Abdub
Driver School Candidate

Hey Club Lexus! A black 2000 GS300 Platinum Series was just put up at a dealer yesterday...

I went today, checked it out, and scooped it up!

Once I clean it up, I'll post some pictures of it. Cheers!
Old 03-19-15, 09:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Abdub
Hey Club Lexus! A black 2000 GS300 Platinum Series was just put up at a dealer yesterday...

I went today, checked it out, and scooped it up!

Once I clean it up, I'll post some pictures of it. Cheers!
Congratulations. That 3.0L in-line six has a reputation for durability, refinement,and longevity.....though it tends to have the gas mileage of a V8, on premium gas. I had an IS300 myself for several years, with that same engine.