Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2015 Kia K900

Old 10-19-14, 10:24 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

Yes, the K900 can be expected to depreciate, but, even by Kia standards, I don't see its residual price on the used-car market dropping from 60K+ to 25K in just two years. If it WAS projected to depreciate that much, that quickly, monthly lease deals would probably be very expensive unless you put a lot down to start.
I should have been clearer and said 4 or 5 years.
Old 10-19-14, 10:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I should have been clearer and said 4 or 5 years.
Agreed. Maybe a little sooner than that (3.5 - 4 years) if sales are really crappy. But, with Cadillac, Lincoln, and Buick all now out of the big V8 RWD luxo-cruiser business, and the Mercedes S-class and LS being in higher price brackets (the S-Class especially so), perhaps the former AARP members who used to buy the big American luxo-cruisers will take a second look at the Equus, K900, and Genesis 5.0. I recently reviewed a new Genesis 5.0, and its ride, despite the sport-oriented wheels/tires, is considerably softer than the past 1Gen version.
Old 10-19-14, 11:27 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

And, not surprisingly (as I expected), K900s are selling for list or very close to it..........no big discounts, at least, until the new-model hype is over and/or supply and demand stabilizes a little more. So, unfortunately, there goes at least some of the car's relatively bargain price compared to German and Japanese competitors.
Not true, a quick check of TrueCar and Edmunds pricing at various zip codes coast to coast show offers starting at $4,000 to $6,000 off MSRP.

Supply for the K900 is extremely high relative to the demand for the car. They sold ~56 in September and they have ~624 in stock nationwide.... so at that pace nearly 1 year's supply? Well over the avg of 60 days.

So there can be significant deals to be had on K900's for someone actually willing to buy one.
Old 10-19-14, 01:20 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Not true, a quick check of TrueCar and Edmunds pricing at various zip codes coast to coast show offers starting at $4,000 to $6,000 off MSRP.

Supply for the K900 is extremely high relative to the demand for the car. They sold ~56 in September and they have ~624 in stock nationwide.... so at that pace nearly 1 year's supply? Well over the avg of 60 days.

So there can be significant deals to be had on K900's for someone actually willing to buy one.
KBB also confirms this level of discounting on the K900.
Old 10-19-14, 02:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

While I'm not saying that they are inherently inaccurate, I take some of those Internet "price promises" with a grain of salt. Obviously, the true selling price of any vehicle is what any particular dealership is (ultimately) willing to let it go for. I've been to dealerships, both shopping for myself and with others, where the best price we could negotiate was higher, the same, or, in some cases, even lower than the KBB or Edmunds price. Not all dealerships will deal with buying services like UBS, either. Often, besides the obvious supply/demand issues, the best way to get a good deal (under the circumstances) is if you know the salespeople or managers involved or if you have been a previous customer....many dealerships like to reward repeat business. I've been fortunate in that I've known a number of people in the sales-buisness, and even some General Managers and Owners.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-19-14 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-19-14, 03:11 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

While I'm not saying that they are inherently inaccurate, I take some of those Internet "price promises" with a grain of salt. Obviously, the true selling price of any vehicle is what any particular dealership is (ultimately) willing to let it go for. I've been to dealerships, both shopping for myself and with others, where the best price we could negotiate was higher, the same, or, in some cases, even lower than the KBB or Edmunds price. Not all dealerships will deal with buying services like UBS, either. Often, besides the obvious supply/demand issues, the best way to get a good deal (under the circumstances) is if you know the salespeople or managers involved or if you have been a previous customer....many dealerships like to reward repeat business. I've been fortunate in that I've known a number of people in the sales-buisness, and even some General Managers and Owners.
Er, ah, OK, but the point here is that the K900 isn't selling very well right now and there appears to be significant discounts on them. Maybe things will improve, maybe not, who knows.
Old 10-19-14, 03:58 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

While I'm not saying that they are inherently inaccurate, I take some of those Internet "price promises" with a grain of salt. Obviously, the true selling price of any vehicle is what any particular dealership is (ultimately) willing to let it go for.
TrueCar offers are generally pretty accurate and can be trusted, TrueCar regularly decertifies dealers that are found to not be in compliance with the principle of the one-price offer and purchase process.

And yes, the bigger/main point that LexBob also confirmed is that the car is NOT selling well and is not garnering full sticker price. There is no more "new car" hype on the K900 it has been on sale nearly the full year. Maybe they'll try to re-launch it with some Lebron buzz, but that in itself won't jumpstart sales to the 5K annual pace that they were initially hoping for.
Old 10-19-14, 06:29 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
Personally I can't get past the Kia name. I also would not spend 60k for one when a Lexus or Mercedes can be had at that price that is slightly used.
+1....but I'll go further and say it will NEVER sell unless they create some type of luxury division. They'lll be discounting these things $20K just to move them.

and as always, very good review Mike!
Old 10-19-14, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell

and as always, very good review Mike!
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. You guys are the basic reason I do them.
Old 10-19-14, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Edmunds has a test K900 they are going to do a long-term evaluation on:

http://www.edmunds.com/kia/k900/2015...roduction.html

2015 Kia K900 Long-Term Road Test: Introduction

August 19, 2014

What Did We Get?
$66,400. That's the sticker price for our new long-term 2015 Kia K900. It's a big number for any car, let alone a brand that's known by most for its sub-$20K Soul hatchback.

If you've been following Kia and its sister brand Hyundai over the last few years, you may already know that Hyundai already sells the similarly priced Equus luxury sedan. Like the Equus, the K900 aims to challenge the segment leaders by offering high-end creature comforts for a lot less scratch.

It's about more than just a long list of features, too. The K900 is big, like Lexus LS 460 L big, and it has plenty of power thanks to a standard 5.0-liter V8 that sends 420 horsepower to the rear wheels through an eight-speed transmission.

When it comes to features, the K900 definitely delivers. The base level trim includes a panoramic sunroof, front and rear parking sensors, three-zone climate control, heated and ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, a power rear sunshade with manual rear window sunshades, and heated steering in its $60,400 base price. These are options on most other luxury cars.

What Options Does It Have?
The K900 is very much a "what you see is what you get" affair. There's no extensive, Porsche-like options list with paint-matched keys or leather-wrapped air vents. Aside from the color of the interior and exterior — lots of silver, gray and black — there's only one box to tick, and it's marked "VIP package." At $6,000, the VIP package increases the K900's price by 10 percent, but you get a lot for the money.

The package adds a smattering of extras that keep the Kia competitive with its far more expensive and tech-laden rivals. A 360-degree overhead-view camera system, adaptive cruise control, power soft-close door latches, 16-way seats and a head-up display are all included. The niceties are not just limited to the front seats. After all, large luxury sedans are less about driving and more about being driven in. Occupants in the back get adjustable headrests, lumbar support and ventilated and reclining seats.

Our tester is decked out in Bright Silver paint against a black leather interior. Loaded with the VIP package, our car retails for $66,400.

Why We Got It
This is Kia's statement car. It's big, expensive and designed to compete with the best luxury sedans in the world. There's no heritage to lean on and the length of its warranty isn't going to help it much. Buyers in this category expect excellence in every aspect of the ownership experience.

During our year-long test we'll not only test its extensive list of features, we'll report on the service experience that comes along with our nearly $67,000 sedan. Has Kia sufficiently upped its game to satisfy customers who are used to being pampered? Or is that one aspect of the K900 that you simply don't get for the price?

We will be looking for answers to these questions and many others over the next 20,000 miles. Follow our Long-Term Road Test Updates page as we cruise in comfort for 12 months and 20,000 miles.

Best MPG: 19.5
Worst MPG: 12.6
Average MPG over 401.8 miles: 15.7
Old 10-20-14, 01:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned review (when it is released in my area): 2015 Lexus NX. That might (?) end up being this year's Annual Holiday Review I do each year in November or December for CAR CHAT...depends on when it is released and what else may be on the docket by then.

I'm looking forward to the NX review, if, for no other reason, because I was very impressed with the also-new Lincoln MKC, and the NX is probably going to compete with it head-to-head. We're also waiting to see what Cadillac eventually comes up with to compete in this small SUV (Cute-Ute) size class.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-20-14 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-20-14, 01:09 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just like the Equus,the K900 will not sell well.
I'd rather buy a used luxury car in the class vs buying a new Equus or K900.
Old 10-20-14, 05:20 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next planned review (when it is released in my area): 2015 Lexus NX. That might (?) end up being this year's Annual Holiday Review I do each year in November or December for CAR CHAT...depends on when it is released and what else may be on the docket by then.

I'm looking forward to the NX review, if, for no other reason, because I was very impressed with the also-new Lincoln MKC, and the NX is probably going to compete with it head-to-head. We're also waiting to see what Cadillac eventually comes up with to compete in this small SUV (Cute-Ute) size class.
Ohh yes! Can't wait!
Old 10-20-14, 09:29 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of carpet and headliner materials, the NX has a very hard and brittle headliner material, which is very un-Lexus. I was shocked at how harsh, brittle and cheap it felt!

The 7th gen Camry also has a coarse headliner, though not as harsh & brittle as the one used in the NX.
The previous 2006-2011 6th gen Camry had a very high quality, silk-like Lexus grade headliner material..

Signs of cost cutting I guess..
Old 10-21-14, 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
Speaking of carpet and headliner materials, the NX has a very hard and brittle headliner material, which is very un-Lexus. I was shocked at how harsh, brittle and cheap it felt!

The 7th gen Camry also has a coarse headliner, though not as harsh & brittle as the one used in the NX.

Signs of cost cutting I guess..
Thanks, yowps3. I take it you have had a chance to see a non-U.S. spec NX where you live. I'll be reviewing an American-spec model (when it's finally released).......which may or may not have the same cost-cutting on the interior as the Australian version. As the Lexus entry-level SUV, though, I don't expect the NX to be as plush inside or to ride as quietly as the RX.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2015 Kia K900