Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why You Never Pass A Truck Before Your Exit

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 07:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Why You Never Pass A Truck Before Your Exit

Old 10-16-14, 07:26 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Hahaha!

Idiots!
Old 10-16-14, 11:45 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow guess the driver didn't survive? Be careful out there guys
Old 10-17-14, 06:02 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Driver was sent to hospital in critical condition (2 broken cervical vertabraes (neck). She was in a coma for a while but got out of it and is recovering exceptionally well. In short: she survived.
damn.....................
Old 10-17-14, 06:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

she is lucky she wasnt transporting anyone else, they would be dead
Old 10-17-14, 08:51 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Good thing these trucks have dash cams.

I see idiots all the time cutting off these big trucks, often time sandwiching themself between these huge trucks
Old 10-17-14, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree that the driver in that Focus hatchback was negligent (never assume the way is clear when your view ahead or to the side is blocked by a big semi). But that completely unmarked stalled truck in the exit-lane certainly didn't help matters any....it didn't have any flashing lights/cones, or any other kind of warning device going to alert drivers behind it. And, that's why, here in the U.S. (I noticed this video was on a Belgian road) we have design/engineering laws for limited access/Intersate highways that, most of the time, mandate use of the far right lane or shoulder for emergencies or mechanical breakdowns. Even where the highways do use the shoulder lane for regular traffic-flow or during rush-hours (as on I-66 here in NoVA), there are regular emergency pull-off areas that are designed to prevent this sort of rear-end accident.
Old 10-17-14, 03:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that the driver in that Focus hatchback was negligent...
To put it mildly. Would not have mattered what kind of lights or cones the stopped truck had this person did a two lane change and blindly went into the right lane. Terrible terrible driving you NEVER assume the road is clear.
Old 10-17-14, 03:19 PM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus. This is so scary. At least the dude is OK.
Old 10-17-14, 05:16 PM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
To put it mildly. Would not have mattered what kind of lights or cones the stopped truck had this person did a two lane change and blindly went into the right lane. Terrible terrible driving you NEVER assume the road is clear.
Totally agree. At the same time. Only extremely reckless and negligent drivers would cross 3 lanes at one time.
I've never seen anyone do that. Maybe two lanes but three AND a delivery truck blocking your view... The driver is extremely lucky to survive that.
Old 10-17-14, 05:51 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree that the driver in that Focus hatchback was negligent (never assume the way is clear when your view ahead or to the side is blocked by a big semi). But that completely unmarked stalled truck in the exit-lane certainly didn't help matters any....it didn't have any flashing lights/cones, or any other kind of warning device going to alert drivers behind it. And, that's why, here in the U.S. (I noticed this video was on a Belgian road) we have design/engineering laws for limited access/Intersate highways that, most of the time, mandate use of the far right lane or shoulder for emergencies or mechanical breakdowns. Even where the highways do use the shoulder lane for regular traffic-flow or during rush-hours (as on I-66 here in NoVA), there are regular emergency pull-off areas that are designed to prevent this sort of rear-end accident.
How do you know how long the truck was stopped there? Go into the video and slow it down. That truck was in a slow line of people exiting the highway. Not his fault that he's stuck there, and definitely nothing to get out and set up cones/lights.

Let's stop trying to divert blame from the culprit. It was 100% her fault. Hopefully her injuries prevent her from ever driving a car again.
Old 10-17-14, 06:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
How do you know how long the truck was stopped there? Go into the video and slow it down. That truck was in a slow line of people exiting the highway. Not his fault that he's stuck there, and definitely nothing to get out and set up cones/lights.

Let's stop trying to divert blame from the culprit. It was 100% her fault. Hopefully her injuries prevent her from ever driving a car again.
I did watch it carefully and stop it in numerous places. I agree she was negligent. I was only bringing up the subject of why we have the road/shoulder-design, traffic-flow, and stopped-vehicle laws in this country that we do. They are designed to, if not prevent, at least lessen the likelihood of a severe accident like this happening.
Old 10-18-14, 09:00 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But that completely unmarked stalled truck in the exit-lane certainly didn't help matters any....it didn't have any flashing lights/cones, or any other kind of warning device going to alert drivers behind it.
no, you DID NOT watch it carefully and stop it in numerous places, otherwise you would clearly see the truck was not stalled, it was simply behind a line of traffic exiting the highway, possibly waiting for a red light or traffic ahead to proceed thru a stop sign. it is okay to admit you jumped to a conclusion too quickly based upon the 1.5 second GIF loop instead of watching the video, better than defending your original post but omitting what you clearly said IMO
Old 10-18-14, 02:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoDarville
no, you DID NOT watch it carefully and stop it in numerous places, otherwise you would clearly see the truck was not stalled, it was simply behind a line of traffic exiting the highway, possibly waiting for a red light or traffic ahead to proceed thru a stop sign.
From the video I saw (and stopped several times), it appeared to be either moving quite slowly or stalled. That's one reason why the impact from that Ford Focus was so severe.

it is okay to admit you jumped to a conclusion too quickly based upon the 1.5 second GIF loop instead of watching the video,
Fine, except that wasn't the case. Have a nice day.
Old 10-18-14, 02:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

From the video I saw (and stopped several times), it appeared to be either moving quite slowly or stalled. That's one reason why the impact from that Ford Focus was so severe.

Fine, except that wasn't the case. Have a nice day.
There are marked arrows for the turn off (right) on the asphalt. Just a little backed up, vehicles trying to get on the off ramp, but that doesn't necessarily warrant putting on your hazards.

Quick Reply: Why You Never Pass A Truck Before Your Exit