Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Acura differentiate itself by making AWD standard across the line?
Yes
47.37%
No
28.95%
Maybe
18.42%
Not Sure
5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Acura May Follow Subaru

Old 10-14-14, 08:30 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i LOVE the new TLX, but would have preferred RWD over SH-AWD or FWD
Old 10-14-14, 09:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lol - while the acura head mentions subaru, that doesn't mean he believes acura competes with them, he's talking about differentiation..
Bit, please add 'Business Model' after 'Subaru' thanks
Old 10-14-14, 09:38 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Bit, please add 'Business Model' after 'Subaru' thanks
Subaru gets the right products out at the right time. Their sales sky rocket even many of their products are arguably ugly.
Old 10-15-14, 12:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Absolutely not! This is a terrible idea, that addresses a problem that does not exist. Not only that, it will add needless dollars to the sticker price and make the entire package less appealing in the dry west and southwest regions. Inflating a sticker price, adding weight, and forcing options many won't need is not how you help suffering sales. Styling a car right is how you increase sales. The beak needs to go. That is the #1 problem with this company, and many of us have said it from day one. People generally do not like a pointed metal cow catcher leading the front of their car.
Old 10-15-14, 01:11 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

their brand perception is already low enough.
i don't think they should be referencing a mainstream brand.

Should've compared to audi.
Old 10-15-14, 01:38 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SH-AWD as Standard Equipment across the board? Yes I full agree
Old 10-15-14, 05:29 AM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Absolutely not! This is a terrible idea, that addresses a problem that does not exist. Not only that, it will add needless dollars to the sticker price and make the entire package less appealing in the dry west and southwest regions. Inflating a sticker price, adding weight, and forcing options many won't need is not how you help suffering sales. Styling a car right is how you increase sales. The beak needs to go. That is the #1 problem with this company, and many of us have said it from day one. People generally do not like a pointed metal cow catcher leading the front of their car.
I agree. Acura went off the rails with the lamentable ZDX and the beaked TL. Good styling and "mainstream" positioning helped the second generation RDX recover and the TLX at least looks good if not outstanding. IMO Acura needs to return to its roots, making premium, good value and sporty cars with outstanding engineering (like the TLX combination of dual clutch and torque converter transmissions). Oh yeah, and dump the frumpy ILX mess for a new Integra.
Old 10-15-14, 06:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I am in the not sure camp

Subie was AWD all the time and then comes the BRZ and the whole communication point is futzed.

For Acura, if the change comes with a design philosophy to go to longitudinal motors I like that (but we all know it ain't happening).

Truth be told, the luxury brands are increasingly using FWD into their product lines to offer either a lower priced starter model (MB CLA) or to maximize cabin room at a price point (Lexus ES, not new but a winning approach).

If Acura went AWD all the time, I think the TLX would be at a disadvantage against the ES in markets without bad weather.

AWD equals more cost and lower MPG, so that can't help Acura's cause when comparison shopping consumers are considered.
This post is spot on.

Also, this day in age, AWD is becoming less and less of a premium feature, and if we're looking at luxury brands, Audi made AWD famous decades ago and still rides that reputation today. You can get AWD on mainstream vehicles (Subarus) and almost every single luxury vehicle.

Acura keeps grasping for straws and looking for ways to be relevant, but they don't actually want to play the game.
Old 10-15-14, 07:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
So you're going to follow a mainstream brand's blueprint to become a premium brand. Got it.
but no premium brand offers AWD across their lineup.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
AWD won't fix the brand itself, but making SH-AWD standard can only help. I'm all for it
agreed, can't hurt...(well mpg slightly) but worth a shot.

Originally Posted by cino
I'm all for this. Sh-AWD is really good, not as good as Subaru Symmetrical AWD with f/r LSD, but still better than most competitors.
I thought SH-AWD has superior torque vectoring by adding power or braking vs Subby's torque vectoring just using braking.

Last edited by bagwell; 10-15-14 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-15-14, 09:03 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
but no premium brand offers AWD across their lineup.

agreed, can't hurt...(well mpg slightly) but worth a shot.

I thought SH-AWD has superior torque vectoring by adding power or braking vs Subby's torque vectoring just using braking.
Performance wise, SH-AWD is probably better, but turn torque vectoring off completely, Subie will run around circle any AWD with similar power output.
Old 10-15-14, 09:24 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
their brand perception is already low enough.
i don't think they should be referencing a mainstream brand.

Should've compared to audi.
Not exactly. Everyone is getting hung up by a title name as if there is a comparison. Audi's are standard FWD (mostly base) and optional Quattro. Subaru with the exception of the BRZ is 100% AWD. Hence if Acura according to the article wants to make SH-AWD standard, that is following the Subaru model.
Old 10-15-14, 09:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to throw a curveball.

Let's talk about demographics.

Acura's market are techie people. Honda's grown-up and more affluent clientele. I'm guessing successful 30-somethings. Small families; Acura's not a minivan kind of brand. Asians mostly, then Caucasians. Not so sporty brand demographic, yet some enthusiasts buy manual transmission and don't mind the FWD drivetrain with a four-banger powertrain.

What's AWD for? Inclement weather. Improved handling. Yeah, it'll cost more and make the car heavier.

Does this address the needs of Acura's market demographic? No.

If Acura wants to be a significant car company, it needs a significant purpose. AWD alone won't do it.

Let's watch a film about brand "The Golden Circle":

Acura, what's your purpose? What's your cause? What's your belief? Why does your organization exist?
Old 10-15-14, 09:53 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I'm going to throw a curveball.

Let's talk about demographics.

Acura's market are techie people. Honda's grown-up and more affluent clientele. I'm guessing successful 30-somethings. Small families; Acura's not a minivan kind of brand. Asians mostly, then Caucasians. Not so sporty brand demographic, yet some enthusiasts buy manual transmission and don't mind the FWD drivetrain with a four-banger powertrain.
mostly Asians buy acura...sure about that?
cuz I've never seen ONE driving an acura...but I'm not on the left coast either.

Last edited by bagwell; 10-15-14 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-15-14, 10:02 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cuz I've never seen ONE driving an acura...but I'm not on the left coast either.
Acura doesn't provide much information about their demographics.

Lexus and BMW will be very open about ages, incomes, nationalities/ethnicities, and such. But there isn't a lot of public information about Acura's demographics.
Old 10-15-14, 10:16 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I see tons driving Lexus and Mercedes in CA. Can't even think of one in an Acura.

And Acura is already following Subaru in making ugly vehicles. Slap some standard AWD in there and be just like em.

This doesn't make since though. Acura just started offering the MDX in FWD drive in 2014. Seems like Acura is in fact doing the opposite. Maybe. This is my issue with Acura. They aren't sure which direction they're going. They're an ok car brand with some decent cars in their past and current lineup but they just seem kinda lost to me. And nothing with them stands out to me other than their red ignition buttons lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura May Follow Subaru