Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Acura differentiate itself by making AWD standard across the line?
Yes
47.37%
No
28.95%
Maybe
18.42%
Not Sure
5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Acura May Follow Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-14, 01:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Acura May Follow Subaru

Acura takes page from Subaru

TOKYO -- Acura, trying to reinvent itself yet again, is taking a cue from one of America's hottest-selling brands.

Honda Motor Co.'s premium brand wants to position all-wheel drive at the center of its revival bid, much the way Subaru did in the 1990s, to great success.

Awd, already on half the vehicles Acura has sold in the U.S. this year, could be offered as a standard technology on all vehicles.

"I think that's the way we should go," said Koichi Fukuo, Acura's top global executive.

Linking the brand's image to the technology would dovetail with the arrival of next-generation awd technology on Acuras. On the other hand, Acura has renewed all its volume nameplates in the last three years. That cadence means that shifting to an all-awd lineup may take years.

The awd plan is one of several ideas backed by a new U.S.-based Acura Business Planning Office formed in February to rethink the brand and stoke stagnating sales. None of those ideas is finalized. Fukuo presented the committee's evolving strategy to the Honda Motor board here on Tuesday, Oct. 7.

Much of the game plan is in flux, he said. But elements are emerging. Acura plans more powerful engines, but it won't be tempted into big V-8 or V-10 powerplants, Fukuo said. It also will stay clear of rear-wheel-drive layouts.

Acura had planned to roll out an rwd V-8 but scrapped the idea when the global financial crisis hit. Since then, it has been casting about for a niche to claim as its own.

"The key is awd," said Fukuo, who as senior managing director at Honda oversees the Acura division and advanced drivetrain vehicles such as hydrogen fuel cell cars. "As a premium brand, we need something different from the competition."

Of course, other premium brands also offer awd. It was installed on 58 percent of all BMWs sold in the U.S. through September and on 90 percent of all vehicles from Audi.

The success of Audi and Subaru, with the latter's well-marketed awd system and rabid fan base, isn't lost on Acura executives. Subaru isn't a direct competitor to Acura, yet Fukuo coined the term "Acurist" for the loyal customer he aims to cultivate, a nod to the "Subarist" moniker adopted by Subaru aficionados.

"Looking at Subaru, I felt that we have to have a strong, clear direction as a brand," Fukuo told Automotive News. "What's important is to have the technology, styling and performance to evolve all together. Otherwise, I don't think we can increase the number of loyal customers, so-called Acurists."

Subaru, poised for its sixth straight year of record U.S. sales, saw sales soar 20 percent to 375,485 vehicles this year through September. Acura's sales slid 1 percent to 119,750 through September, after rising 6 percent in 2013, trailing the overall market's 8 percent gain.

"Making Acura 100 percent all-wheel drive could be a good idea," said Tatsuo Yoshida, an auto analyst with Barclays Securities Japan. "It is very simple from a sales and marketing point of view to sell the cars with such technology."

Acura already offers awd on all vehicles except the entry ILX sedan. But the base model for every nameplate, including the crossovers, is front-wheel drive.

Subaru, by contrast, offers its vehicles with awd only, except for the rwd BRZ sporty car.

Acura is introducing next-generation awd technologies in two sedans. The first came in the new TLX sedan that debuted in August, and the next arrives later this year in a hybrid version of the flagship RLX.

A re-engineered Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive system, or SH-AWD, is offered as an option on the midsize TLX.

Meanwhile, the RLX will get Acura's Sport Hybrid SH-AWD, which teams two electric motors to deliver more control and horsepower. That system also will be a cornerstone technology in the NSX sports car due next year.

Fukuo said awd systems offer better handling, stability and acceleration. The latter will help Acura deliver responsive driving without a V-8. "We're aiming for a sporty, performance vehicle," he said. "A heavy engine is no good."

Mike Accavitti, the luxury brand's general manager, said in July that the awd technology is something Acura "can wrap our brand around," adding: "It's a space that we own."

But there is room for improvement.

About half of Acura's sales this year were awd vehicles, according to Kelley Blue Book, citing data from R.L. Polk & Co. That's ahead of Lexus and Cadillac and in line with Infiniti and Mercedes-Benz.

In sales this year, Acura ranks above Infiniti but behind Cadillac and Audi, putting it in the second tier of premium brands.

At Subaru, awd accounts for 98 percent of sales.

"Subaru has carved out a niche with this and has cultivated one of the most loyal bases in the industry," said Edmunds.com analyst Jeremy Acevedo. "The awd direction Fukuo aims to take Acura in also shows considerable promise."

Of all the Acuras traded in from January to September 2014, 34 percent were swapped to buy another Acura, according to Edmunds. At awd-heavy Audi, it was 49 percent. At Subaru, 53 percent.

The Acura Business Planning Office, led by Honda North America Executive Vice President Erik Berkman, aims to hash out details of a new brand direction by the debut of the NSX, which is expected as early as January's Detroit auto show.

The NSX halo car will symbolize the new identity. But how to square that image with the rest of the lineup is a challenge.

"As long as you have an ILX that doesn't even pretend to be exhilarating, you're going to have problems," said Kurt Sanger, an auto analyst with Deutsche Securities Japan. "They are going to launch a luxury halo car the brand might not be ready for."
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...ge-from-subaru

Last edited by Hoovey689; 10-14-14 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-14-14, 02:07 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

AWD alone won't fix what Acura needs fixin
Old 10-14-14, 02:59 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you're going to follow a mainstream brand's blueprint to become a premium brand. Got it.

Old 10-14-14, 03:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

AWD won't fix the brand itself, but making SH-AWD standard can only help. I'm all for it
Old 10-14-14, 03:17 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

They might as well since they're an SUV brand nowadays.
Old 10-14-14, 03:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
AWD won't fix the brand itself, but making SH-AWD standard can only help. I'm all for it
I agree on both counts.

I just received a new issue of C&D with a review of the TLX and on the cover it reads "Acura builds a great sedan (again).
Old 10-14-14, 03:41 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

acura....
Attached Thumbnails Acura May Follow Subaru-kicard.gif  
Old 10-14-14, 04:32 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TLX outsold both the TL and TSX combined from last year. Wonder what the sh-awd accounted for.
Old 10-14-14, 04:36 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

not gonna work, Acura should start off by developing a light weight, high revving I4 for entry models and a new V6 motor without the VCM interference. oh yeah, and bring the Type-S models back.
Old 10-14-14, 04:59 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all for this. Sh-AWD is really good, not as good as Subaru Symmetrical AWD with f/r LSD, but still better than most competitors.
Old 10-14-14, 05:21 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Sigh, they need to focus their efforts in re-injecting the Acura nineties DNA back into their products. SH-AWD will not fix their shortcomings in design, tech, and engines.

As for the poll, I voted No on the premise that it represents " No, it will not make any significant impact"
Old 10-14-14, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I voted a strong "Maybe"....just short of Yes. There's an old saying....."If you have a good race horse, ride him." Acura's SH-AWD is a good system, as good as Subaru's Symmetrical and Audi's Quattro in some ways....so why not use it to its potential?

Many buyers of upmarket vehicles these days expect to have AWD either standard or as an option. I don't think installing SH-AWD on Acura's whole U.S. lineup will cure ALL of their problems (the parrot beaks, for one, have GOT to go, and there is little excuse for styling aberrations like the ZDX and the last-generation TL). However, it would be a good start. And an equally good idea, IMO, would be to have a dash or console-mounted switch, like on some former Suzukis, that switched off the AWD when the driver didn't need it, and ran only the front wheels. The Suzuki system had a 3-position switch......FWD, AWD, or AWD Lock, which locked the center differential for really tough traction conditions. That's something that even the lauded Subaru and Audi systems never had.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-14-14 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-14-14, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Acura takes page from Subaru
Originally Posted by MPLexus301
So you're going to follow a mainstream brand's blueprint to become a premium brand. Got it.
lol - while the acura head mentions subaru, that doesn't mean he believes acura competes with them, he's talking about differentiation.

he probably should have compared to audi, because although they still offer fwd vehicles, they're best known for Quattro, a branding icon. probably compare to subaru though because of the more recent success subaru had switching to all awd (except brz) and that they're also japanese.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Sigh, they need to focus their efforts in re-injecting the Acura nineties DNA back into their products.
90's dna? times have changed too much.

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
not gonna work, Acura should start off by developing a light weight, high revving I4 for entry models and a new V6 motor without the VCM interference. oh yeah, and bring the Type-S models back.
people don't want high revving i4's for sedans because they suck in traffic which most people endure. good for a sports car though and acura or honda has a couple of those on the way i believe.
Old 10-14-14, 08:04 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I am in the not sure camp

Subie was AWD all the time and then comes the BRZ and the whole communication point is futzed.

For Acura, if the change comes with a design philosophy to go to longitudinal motors I like that (but we all know it ain't happening).

Truth be told, the luxury brands are increasingly using FWD into their product lines to offer either a lower priced starter model (MB CLA) or to maximize cabin room at a price point (Lexus ES, not new but a winning approach).

If Acura went AWD all the time, I think the TLX would be at a disadvantage against the ES in markets without bad weather.

AWD equals more cost and lower MPG, so that can't help Acura's cause when comparison shopping consumers are considered.
Old 10-14-14, 08:10 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If Acura is going to do it, just get on with it. Don't compare with Subaru or Audi or MB or BMW, otherwise people will think "me too -- they are just copying the other guys".

Quick Reply: Acura May Follow Subaru