Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Acura differentiate itself by making AWD standard across the line?
Yes
47.37%
No
28.95%
Maybe
18.42%
Not Sure
5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Acura May Follow Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 03:35 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Acura engineer said MDX uses exclusive platform. Do you have any source saying it shares with the new Odyssey?
It appears to be a unique platform, at least for now. From Car & Driver:

A new platform makes its debut here, developed just for the MDX (at least for now). Cutting ties with the rest of Honda’s light trucks, which shared architecture with the Odyssey minivan, helped the MDX drop 275 pounds compared with the old model.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

As recently as this past August, C&D was expecting the next generation Pilot to use the new MDX platform:

Platform: In the past, the Pilot has shared its bones with Acura’s MDX luxury crossover, and the basic profile of this test mule indicates that will continue to be the case. There is a lot more rear overhang on this prototype than on past Pilots, and the wheelbase-to-overhang relationships are very current-gen MDX. Underneath, what few suspension pieces are visible look very similar to those on the MDX, especially at the rear.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news

I haven't spent much time looking, but didn't immediately see news on the next Odyssey platform, one way or the other.
Old 10-16-14, 03:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Pilot (generation behind still), MDX and Odyssey all share a platform. MDX and Odyssey are on the new one, Pilot is moving over soon.
The Odyssey is still using the same platform as the Pilot as it should be since it's been out since 2010-2011. The 2014 MDX is on an all-new platform. As of right now, NO other Honda/Acura uses it. Both Pilot and Odyssey will eventually get the new chassis for weight reduction.
Old 10-16-14, 03:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Acura's missteps have been well documented. The important question is, do they appear to be moving forward from them. To me, the answer is yes. The MDX and RDX are solid and selling well. The TLX appears to be a winner for the division. The RLX and ILX need work but it seems like they are headed in the right direction.
Old 10-16-14, 05:17 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
It appears to be a unique platform, at least for now. From Car & Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

As recently as this past August, C&D was expecting the next generation Pilot to use the new MDX platform:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news

I haven't spent much time looking, but didn't immediately see news on the next Odyssey platform, one way or the other.
I actually spent almost an hour looking for the info about the MDX chassis being shared because I remember an Acura engineer said it was all-new platform exclusive to MDX with 400lb of weight reduction from the previous.
Old 10-19-14, 10:51 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Its okay to platform share if you have solid platforms. Honda uses the same 2-3 engines in everything. Lexus and Nissan can get away with it because they also use engines and chassis that are only privy to the luxury brand.

Honda on the other hand is one sausage different lengths. Give me a rwd platform and a engine that inspires some excitement. Not the same recycled, reworked stuff we've had over the past decade.
That is not really true, the 2 most successful highest selling Lexus models use a Camry/Avalon/Highland platform and the exact same engine drivetrain hp rating from their Toyota counterparts. The Toyota based Lexus ES and RX make up the bulk of Lexus sales, over half. Infiniti wishes they sold as many vehicles as Acura, Infiniti has always struggled as a brand. The TL, RL, and MDX and other Acura models have always used a larger or higher hp engine then what is offered from Honda and they offer drivetrains unavailable in Honda's like Sh AWD, 8spd DSG, 9 speed auto. There is much more separation/uniqueness in a TL, TSX, TLX, MDX from Honda models then there is separation/uniqueness in a ES/RX from Toyota models. Yes

Lexus does use bespoke platforms/engines for the IS, GS, LS but those models don't make up the bulk of their sales or sell anywhere near what the ES/RX do.

Audi A4 and A6 are based on a fwd platform, TLX is not a A3/cla competitor, a ILX compares with those cars, TLX has much more interior room and also offers a V6.

I do agree it would be nice to have some rwd models in the Acura lineup. they really need rwd for the RLX and a new direction.

Last edited by UDel; 10-19-14 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-19-14, 11:19 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
This post is spot on.

Also, this day in age, AWD is becoming less and less of a premium feature, and if we're looking at luxury brands, Audi made AWD famous decades ago and still rides that reputation today. You can get AWD on mainstream vehicles (Subarus) and almost every single luxury vehicle.

Acura keeps grasping for straws and looking for ways to be relevant, but they don't actually want to play the game.
I don't get it. How does AWD "differentiate" Acura models? It seems to me, across the board, all of their models compete with other cars that offer AWD. This is not the case for Subaru--if you want an AWD family sedan or econobox--how many other choices are really out there? Not many.
Old 10-19-14, 12:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't get it. How does AWD "differentiate" Acura models? It seems to me, across the board, all of their models compete with other cars that offer AWD. This is not the case for Subaru--if you want an AWD family sedan or econobox--how many other choices are really out there? Not many.
Ford Fusion and Legacy are smart to have it optional and standard respectively. Other Makes have not capitalized on this. In the Luxury market for example, AWD is booming (part of why the new C-Class C300 and C400 both are being introduced with AWD initially then RWD later. You can bet those looking for a non Luxury badge in AWD are thankful for these.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 10-19-14 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-19-14, 01:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
i would guess that it makes them more premium since their cars wont be FWD anymore :-)
Old 10-24-14, 07:36 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well...yes...and no..really. They should however stick to their signature linage of high revving engine, light weight platforms with RWD standard and AWD as an option.....acura and Honda has been on the opposite end of what the consumer need. Toyota is the same, but the different is Toyota woke his brand up earlier with more exciting lines as FRS and IS....

However Toyota and Honda slipped it....and handed it toward Subaru. I would not have a Subaru, if I could choose Civic type R and or a supra...almost went with the IS....but it is still too luxurious to excite me
Old 10-25-14, 10:25 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

An Acura "Brat" (remember them?) would be cool.

Call it the Brat-X with SH-AWD.

Last edited by islandbeef; 10-25-14 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-25-14, 12:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Well...yes...and no..really. They should however stick to their signature linage of high revving engine, light weight platforms with RWD standard and AWD as an option.....acura and Honda has been on the opposite end of what the consumer need. Toyota is the same, but the different is Toyota woke his brand up earlier with more exciting lines as FRS and IS....

However Toyota and Honda slipped it....and handed it toward Subaru. I would not have a Subaru, if I could choose Civic type R and or a supra...almost went with the IS....but it is still too luxurious to excite me
Acura does not want to invest into RWD platforms or V8 engines... they want to sell more cars with minimum investment... hence the AWD
Old 10-26-14, 02:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
An Acura "Brat" (remember them?) would be cool.

Call it the Brat-X with SH-AWD.
That may (?) have been fun in its time, but it probably wouldn't work today. Most states, today, have mandatory seat-belt-use laws and prohibit passengers or pets from riding in open beds.
Old 10-26-14, 09:06 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Acuras "awd" system. I am pretty sure they use the exact system as Honda's considering how cheap they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkiv-bWbLIo
Old 10-27-14, 06:09 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Acura's SH-AWD is quite different than Honda's regular AWD. The only car that makes sense for the regular AWD is the ILX. Everything else should have SH-AWD.
Old 10-27-14, 06:10 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
AWD alone won't fix what Acura needs fixin
I agree with this statement. The have created a beautiful TL, before that a really nice TSX and before that a RSX, and now they are gonna get rid of both nice looking cars and replace them with TLX (IMO is a complete disaster) , RL (still years behind visually and technologically), and hideous looking ILX (I wouldn't advice my enemy to drive one)

Quick Reply: Acura May Follow Subaru