Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche Boss on Panamera Styling

Old 10-11-14, 05:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Porsche Boss on Panamera Styling

Porsche boss publicly admits luxury liftback not a looker
The global boss of Porsche Matthias Mueller has admitted the exterior and interior styling of the second generation Panamera luxury car needs to improve compared to the current car.

And despite being clearly surprised by his CEO's frank public admission at the Paris motor show last week, Porsche design chief Michael Mauer says the 2016 Panamera will be a better looker – although still disliked by some people.

You can judge yourself by taking a look at some spy shots we published recently.

The original Panamera luxury liftback was Mauer's first project when he took over Porsche design in 2004. Launched in 2009, its attempt to marry some elements of the iconic 911 sports car's look with a low, wide and long five-door body has drawn plenty of criticism.

Including now, from the boss of the company.

"There have been some small mistakes and we will do it better," Mueller promised when asked what we could expect from the next Panamera.

"For example the design could be better."

Asked if he was referring to exterior styling, he said "as well as the interior".

However, Mueller also said he expected the new car to be "as successful as the first generation", a reference to the more than 100,000 examples sold.

That sales performance was something Mauer used to defend the looks of the current Panamera.

"From what I hear from our sales and marketing guys, the Panamera is pretty successful. For a company and for a brand that entered this segment for the first time where you have S-class, Audis, BMWs, really well established brands... I think we have enormous success with the car.

"And I believe as well since the design and the package of the car some people don't like it, but people who do like it, they like it really."

Mauer said he hoped more people would like the Panamera's styling in the future, but also wanted it to continue to divide opinion.

"I am sure a lot of people won't like the design of the next generation. And that's fine by me. I would prefer to have cars and products that polarise rather than being just okay. I think that's the worst thing for a product. And the new Panamera I am sure there will still be people that don't like it.

"But we have addressed certain things and I think it is more attractive, but if as a designer I was to tell you the successor generation doesn't look as good as the old one then most likely I should look for another job."

While refusing to speak in detail, Mauer did reveal the next Panamera would have an even "faster" – or more coupe-like – roofline than its predecessor. He said that was essential to the styling theme of the car being retained.

"You have to recognise it is the new one, but as well recognise that it is the successor," he explained. "So the car will look different, it will look better, but you will immediately see that it is the Panamera."

The next generation will ride on all-new architecture dubbed MSB that will help shear weight from the porky Panamera, and also be shared with the next-gen Bentley Continental.

However, as we have reported previously, the philosophy of the architecture is similar to the current car, which means the basic footprint and interior roominess of the four-seater will not be changed.

"I don't think we have more space than today," said Mauer. "We are basically at the same space, maybe some millimetre here and there are maybe more ... For me dimension wise, proportion wise, it is the same car. But it will be a beautiful car."

The look of the next Panamera was hinted at in the Sport Turismo concept revealed at the Paris show in 2012. But Mauer said that bodystyle had not been signed off for production.

"As you know we as designers propose a lot of things and hope that one day it makes it to the road," Mauer said. "In that case no decision has been made so far. But I still keep my fingers crossed because I love that car."
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2014...o-better-46585
Old 10-12-14, 05:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

i personally have always thought the Panamera was a good looking car...
Old 10-12-14, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
i personally have always thought the Panamera was a good looking car...
Agreed. While not as clean looking as a 911 or Cayman, I thought it was decent-looking. But, from having reviewed a Panamera when it first came out, that car was not so much about looking as DRIVING. In that regard, it was almost as nice as the supercharged Jaguar XKR convertible I also sampled.....though the Jag probably outclassed it on looks.
Old 10-13-14, 12:43 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always look at it when I see one. That or the Tesla will be in our future.
Old 10-13-14, 07:33 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I always thought there was something "off" about the exterior...Tesla Model S is a cleaner design IMO.
I'd like to see a smaller version of the Panamera...looks bloated IMO.

Last edited by bagwell; 10-13-14 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-13-14, 08:00 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never warmed up to the Panamera's styling. It's not really ugly but it is, for me, unattractive. Particularly as an ultra prestigious object of desire. Next to a Mercedes CLS or an Aston Martin Rapide it's downright homely. I wish Porshe would realize that not everything they make has to look like a mutation of the 911 (the 918 Spyder being the one beautiful exception).
Old 10-13-14, 09:07 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedflex
I wish Porshe would realize that not everything they make has to look like a mutation of the 911 (the 918 Spyder being the one beautiful exception).
agree 100%. Looks like a fat (not phat) 911.
Old 10-13-14, 01:43 PM
Hoovey689

I like the Shooting Brake Panamera
Old 10-13-14, 01:45 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Cayenne was the plain chick you'd bring to bed, 1st gen, too but Porsche cleaned that up quite nicely now. No reason to doubt they'll do the same with the next Panamera
Old 10-13-14, 02:00 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by kbb
The Cayenne was the plain chick you'd bring to bed, 1st gen, too but Porsche cleaned that up quite nicely now. No reason to doubt they'll do the same with the next Panamera
Not to mention heavier. Thankfully the ole girl went to the gym, shed 400lbs, went to Porsche driving school, cleaned up her act and is now on Maxim's er Automobiles top 100
Old 10-13-14, 06:23 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always felt the design looked bulbous and off. Their shooting brake/estate /station wagon design is much crisper and alluring. Here's to him for acknowledging it and vowing to improve it for the second iteration. The sales# shouldn't surprise anyone as the porsche name could pretty much sell anything.
Old 10-13-14, 07:06 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I like the Shooting Brake Panamera
nice lines! much better
Old 10-13-14, 09:05 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The trunk lid was always a little bit off, but there are uglier things out there. The thing has presence, and in this class, thats pretty much all that matters
Old 10-13-14, 09:24 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear. I never really liked the styling of it, my wife on the other hand loves it.
Old 10-14-14, 03:00 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I almost got one a few years back and still love the car, I think this will be in my garage eventually replacing the R8 since it has a very large sport sedan type look and is very practical. I agree the 3/4 rear view is not it's best angle but almost every car has one bad angle.

I'll take a white one with the custom 20" rims I saw at my local dealer one day...