Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla News

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-15, 10:00 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
New report says tesla still losing 4k per car if leases are factored in, and 14k a car if not
That new report had a clickbait title. The rest of the article actually wasn't bad and delved into the reasons they're operating at a loss. There's plenty of investment going on sandbagging their numbers.

That being said, I find it hard to believe Tesla is going to pull their master plan off given the rapid innovation cycles Audi/BMW/Mercedes are known for.
Old 08-10-15, 06:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

filling a car with gas takes what, 2 or 3 minutes? recharging a tesla, even with a 420v charger takes what, 2 or 3 hours?

so 60x as long to 'refuel' with half the range. that's a tough sell.
Old 08-10-15, 09:30 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricknee
Supercharger is faster than that. Also, you can't really refill your car at home or work, or in various places that offer electric-car chargers, like you can with the Tesla. The Tesla is fully charged and ready to go as long as you charge it the night before. No more having to go out of your way to find a gas station, hunt for lower prices(if you're one of those), worry about running out because you were too lazy to fill up at the last 5 gas stations you passed and now your gas light is on.
Not to mention that the cost difference between gasoline and electricity isn't even close.

Yes the charging is definitely a disadvantage compared to gasoline refilling, but the range on the Tesla makes it so that it's not such a worry. You can do an average commute or a short round trip and be fine. You can even do cross-country if you plan carefully.
Also there is the security aspect of it. My wife will no longer be harrased at a gas station by homeless. Some rather aggressive. I had to back a guy off one time who was a little to close in the personal space of a pregnant lady who clearly felt uncomfortable. A soccer mom. (She thanked me).
I was really intrigued about the natural gas vehicles that Honda had come out with that provided a self home fueling station. That was high on my list.
Old 08-11-15, 06:25 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Also there is the security aspect of it. My wife will no longer be harrased at a gas station by homeless. Some rather aggressive. I had to back a guy off one time who was a little to close in the personal space of a pregnant lady who clearly felt uncomfortable. A soccer mom. (She thanked me).
I was really intrigued about the natural gas vehicles that Honda had come out with that provided a self home fueling station. That was high on my list.
One of the main reasons why i bought a tesla. So my wife never goes to the gas station, esp in winter
Old 08-11-15, 06:28 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
One of the main reasons why i bought a tesla. So my wife never goes to the gas station, esp in winter
yep, I hate going to the gas station...sucks.....doesn't matter if it only takes 1 minute...it sucks...PERIOD....try it in Denver in January.
It would be much nicer to charge at home in the 12 hours my car is sitting doing nothing in the garage instead of going out of my way to get gas.

Even natural gas fill-ups at the house would be better...Honda was offering a unit with its Natural Gas powered Civics (don't know if they still are).

oh and I don't let my wife fill-up her car - I do it 99% of the time.

Last edited by bagwell; 08-11-15 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-11-15, 06:31 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
filling a car with gas takes what, 2 or 3 minutes? recharging a tesla, even with a 420v charger takes what, 2 or 3 hours?

so 60x as long to 'refuel' with half the range. that's a tough sell.
That's why it's ideal to use in a multi-car household. The range on the Tesla would cover 99% of my daily driving. Would I use it as my only car? Definitely not
Old 08-11-15, 10:36 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Regular Car Reviews: 2014 Tesla Model S P85 (NSFW)

Warning, you may feel dumber after watching this

Old 08-12-15, 04:58 PM
Hoovey689

Default Meet the Norwegian who just earned a free Tesla Model X

We've posted on Norwegian Tesla owner Bjorn Nyland before, back in 2013 when he drove his Model S P85 with a cold battery 233 miles in 21-degree weather. Based on the the hundreds of thousands of views at his YouTube channel where he documents various exploits in his Model S, Nyland could be, as Teslarati calls him, "Norway's most influential Tesla owner." Fitting, then, that Nyland is the first official European winner of Tesla's recently announced Model S referral program, and will win a Founder's Edition Model X with $25,000 in options.

Tesla announced two referral programs at the end of July, one of them offering a new Model X to the first person in three different regions (North America, Europe, Asia) to get ten people to buy a Model S. Nyland posted a video on his YouTube channel explaining the program, and little more than one week later he had reached the magic number of word-of-mouth sales. CEO Elon Musk then confirmed that Nyland had won, the natural proviso being that all customers who've signed up actually need to take delivery of their Model S sedans. Given that Nyland says he's going to do something special for the ten people who took his advice and purchased a Model S, we suspect they won't want to back out now.

Nyland posted a thank you video on his site, and while he waits for the cars to be delivered he'll be getting ready to attend the GigaFactory opening next year, where he'll be one of the featured guests.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/12/m...tesla-model-x/

Old 10-06-15, 05:40 PM
Hoovey689

Default Tesla Model Y hinted at in deleted Elon Musk Tweet

As is his wont, Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk was Tweeting up a storm Friday afternoon, following the Wednesday-night debut and hand over of the first "Founder" edition Model X crossovers. Among the missives was this little gem, now deleted, which read, "there will be a Model 3 and a Model Y. One of the two will." Since the Tweet was in response to "Not gonna lie, I'd sell my soul to @elonmusk for one. Please tell me the Model III crossover will have these doors!", from @AwesomelyOZ, we know he was talking about the unique rear portals.

Considering we know the Model 3, which is to be denoted with the stylized "≡", will be a sedan – though perhaps with a hatch à la Model S, rather than a traditional trunk – and that there will be also be a crossover built on this smaller, more affordable platform, it seems quite probable it will be called the Model Y (which Tesla has already trademarked). It also seems likely it will also feature the somewhat controversial "falcon wing" rear passenger doors.

Now, as we mentioned, Musk deleted this tweet. This could mean that he misspoke or, more likely, that he revealed something he wasn't supposed to quite yet. It does seem to confirm, though, that the Tesla lineup will consist of Models S,≡,X,Y, and Roadster, remaining true to the company's propensity for humorous touches, like a stereo volume that goes to 11, "Ludicrous" mode, and the new "Bioweapon Defense Mode" in the Model X.

It wasn't the only Tweet he deleted from that session either. Another one, in response to to a question about a future Model X with a smaller, less expensive 70-kWh battery, elicited the response, "something like a 70, but probably around 12 months from now," indicating that there will be a less-expensive Model X option in the future.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/06/t...#slide-3643893