Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla News

Old 03-16-15, 04:51 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure why Toyota insists on HFC vehicles?
Old 03-16-15, 05:09 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on the list for the first 200 Mirai's that are coming this fall. $13000 incentive, claimed 300 miles (vs. Model S's sub 270 miles), first 3 yrs of fuel paid for by Toyota (although after that the fuel cost is slightly higher than filling up a hybrid camry). Takes 5 min to charge both fuel cell tanks vs. the 30 min at a SUPER CHARGER station.

More importantly, I trust toyota as a car manufacture. Tesla is a technology company that excels in innovation, but when it comes to fitting the hinges and installing vents, I'd prefer to have a company that's got much more floor time and experience.
Old 03-16-15, 05:20 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

The Mirai can also be used as an generator capable of providing the house hold's usage for a week I'll be ready for the walking deads.
Old 03-17-15, 08:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by tzu911
I'm on the list for the first 200 Mirai's that are coming this fall. $13000 incentive, claimed 300 miles (vs. Model S's sub 270 miles), first 3 yrs of fuel paid for by Toyota
not sure whether to congratulate you but some are going to go for it since toyota is pretty much giving them away to get feedback.

Takes 5 min to charge both fuel cell tanks vs. the 30 min at a SUPER CHARGER station.
right but you can only get hydrogen at a few places, right?

The Mirai can also be used as an generator capable of providing the house hold's usage for a week I'll be ready for the walking deads.
haha well it can't do a household for a week if you need A/C but still, nice feature.
Old 03-17-15, 10:44 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Currently the plan for Mirai is to first roll out in California. There is a map of the fueling stations and their updated construction status. Lucky me, there are one near work, another one where I live, and a third one that's already operational near HQ.

No AC allowed during zombie apocalypse. The energy expenditure will be strictly allocated for the necessity such as top ramen and selfies. We don't mess around.

Last edited by tzu911; 03-17-15 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-17-15, 10:48 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Bit, no denial there's a bit of lab rat anxiety. But at sub 50K range I feel like Mirai is a better package than Tesla. Elon can have that big long charging cord all to himself
Old 03-17-15, 12:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Bit, no denial there's a bit of lab rat anxiety. But at sub 50K range I feel like Mirai is a better package than Tesla. Elon can have that big long charging cord all to himself
tesla s is a bit prettier than the mirai but hey, i applaud you taking the adventure!
Old 03-18-15, 07:36 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tesla Allowed Direct Sales in New Jersey

Tesla sales are back on in the state of New Jersey.

Nearly one year after Tesla was banned from selling directly to consumers in New Jersey, Governor Chris Christie has signed a bill that has reversed the ban.

In June 2014, the New Jersey Assembly Consumer Affairs Committee approved the bill that would allow Tesla to resume sales and today it became new legislation. There are some limits that come with the new law, with the American automaker limited to four direct sale dealerships while Telsa must maintain and operate at least one service center.

Tesla has been fighting an uphill battle in several states with similar issues, including Virginia, Arizona, Texas and Michigan. Legislators in some of those states are looking into passing laws similar to New Jersey, which is the fourth largest market for luxury automobiles.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ew-jersey.html
Old 03-18-15, 07:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm on the list for the first 200 Mirai's that are coming this fall. $13000 incentive, claimed 300 miles (vs. Model S's sub 270 miles), first 3 yrs of fuel paid for by Toyota (although after that the fuel cost is slightly higher than filling up a hybrid camry). Takes 5 min to charge both fuel cell tanks vs. the 30 min at a SUPER CHARGER station.

More importantly, I trust toyota as a car manufacture. Tesla is a technology company that excels in innovation, but when it comes to fitting the hinges and installing vents, I'd prefer to have a company that's got much more floor time and experience.
congrats... make sure to let us know how it is when it finally arrives... i assume it will be pretty much uneventful, but still rather cool...it is like a lot nicer Prius.
Old 03-26-15, 12:53 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Tesla invited Model S owners to rally across France, using Superchargers only.

Tesla's luxury electric car is a tech's paradise with the performance to satisfy any diehard petrolhead.
Old 04-21-15, 09:39 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Where's the drift .gif?
Old 04-22-15, 11:26 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

auto drift mode comes in the next firmware upgrade
Old 05-14-15, 07:30 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Glitches Modulate Consumer Reports Praise For Tesla Model S Electric Car

Since it purchased its 2012 Tesla Model S, Consumer Reports has basically adored its electric luxury car.

But could the love affair be ending?

As problems have gradually emerged with the long-term test car, the magazine has begun to modulate its praise.

Consumer Reports previously called the Model S as the best car it's tested since 2007,and named it "Best Overall" vehicle for 2014.

In its most recent update, however, editors say its Model S had had "more than its share of problems."

In just over 15,000 miles, the Model S has developed a few trouble spots, including door handles that became "reluctant" to emerge from the bodywork when needed.

That problem was fixed via an over-the-air software update, a method Tesla has used to correct several glitches across the Model S fleet.

Then, at around 12,000 miles, the car's central touchscreen went blank, cutting off access to virtually every function--including opening the charge port.

To fix that, a "hard reset" was performed at the same time as the car's annual service.

While the magazine's Model S was in the shop, technicians also addressed a creak coming from the passenger-side roof pillar area. Tesla replaced the entire pair of third-row jump seats as well, because one belt buckle had broken.

More recently, drivers found the front trunk lid wouldn't respond to the virtual onscreen "button" that opens it. An adapter that allows the Model S to charge at CHAdeMO stations also fell apart.

Both issues were resolved by Tesla free of charge.

Consumer Reports notes that its experiences are anecdotal, and won't affect its overall reliability score for the Model S, which is determined by a survey of owners.

Those owners may be having very different experiences, as Tesla has continually updated the Model S to address problems found only in earlier vehicles, including Consumer Reports' 2012 test car.

Cars inevitably develop problems as more miles accumulate.

Still, as a new carmaker selling a radically different type of car in the glare of a bright media spotlight, Tesla will likely remain under intense scrutiny for months and years to come.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...s-electric-car
Old 05-14-15, 10:29 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I am not sure how CR can continue to praise the Model S. There seems to be so many reliability issues and Insideline's Long term S can more than its fair share of problems, including changing out part of the electric drivetrain (twice if IRC)
Old 05-14-15, 10:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I am not sure how CR can continue to praise the Model S. There seems to be so many reliability issues and Insideline's Long term S can more than its fair share of problems, including changing out part of the electric drivetrain (twice if IRC)
I have to agree. Nice vehicle but the initial glamour is wearing off and the real battle starts now. Honestly they are a dime a dozen here in the Bay Area now

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tesla News