Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will the Lexus screen mirror your cell phone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-14, 02:12 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Will the Lexus screen mirror your cell phone?

Will The Lexus screen (with or without NAV) eventually be able to mirror your cell phone screen?
Old 10-10-14, 04:05 PM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would they provide this feature?

Wouldn't it open them up to liability by potentially enabling you to distract yourself and cause an accident or worse?
Old 10-10-14, 04:13 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
Will The Lexus screen (with or without NAV) eventually be able to mirror your cell phone screen?
I think what you want is for the Lexus screen to show Siri's maps with directions, arrows, turns, etc. Something like that? Maybe your playlist?

Anyway, I think it would take a crystal ball and a futurist to predict the possibility of that technological feat. If Lexus is selling nav, and iPhone has nav, I don't think Lexus will make them compatible.
Old 10-10-14, 05:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
Lexus 8th gen navs from last year already have screen mirroring feature on Android phones in Europe... and this is also the way Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are working and they will come to Lexus navs in next 1-2 years too.

You can also buy product from VaisTech that integrates Android screen mirroring into your Lexus nav (pre 2013 models).
Old 10-10-14, 07:22 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Lexus 8th gen navs from last year already have screen mirroring feature on Android phones in Europe... and this is also the way Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are working and they will come to Lexus navs in next 1-2 years too.
Really? I thought Lexus was only working with Apple and not Android, or did they choose to work with both?
Old 10-11-14, 08:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JessePS
Really? I thought Lexus was only working with Apple and not Android, or did they choose to work with both?
they work with both of course.... Entune/Enform works with Android of course through screen mirroring. And in Europe, they support full screen mirroring, which is predecessor to Android Auto, but problem was that not all phone supported it, thats why Google wanted to make a standard that has to work or your phone will not get certified.
Old 10-11-14, 04:06 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I really hope all car entertainment systems make this an option. My phone is not only more powerful, but it is customized exactly how i want/need it and it simply makes sense to mirror it.
Old 10-11-14, 07:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

spwolf, is straight mirroring an option in europe? seems like a real safety risk, or is only for particular apps, functions?

mirroring is certainly technically trivial, but i'd expect it to be fairly tightly constrained.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-11-14 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-13-14, 12:28 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ajs

Wouldn't it open them up to liability by potentially enabling you to distract yourself and cause an accident or worse?
No. Sony and another mfg(Pioneer or Kenwood) are supporting "Mirror link" technology. I talked to a dealer and he stayed the technology "isn't there yet". I liken this to all the attempts of the major phone companies that were close to making a smart phone until Apple blew the doors open with theirs. The company that comes out with one that's right will make a ton!
Old 10-13-14, 03:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
spwolf, is straight mirroring an option in europe? seems like a real safety risk, or is only for particular apps, functions?

mirroring is certainly technically trivial, but i'd expect it to be fairly tightly constrained.
it depends on the phone... they have this special mode they go into and allow some apps, like media and music... but the main problem with mirror link is that it depends on the phone/manufacturer.

This is why Google created Android Auto which will force all phone manufacturers to support mirror link properly.

VaisTech has aftermarket unit for Lexus navs that actually mirrors every app I think, it is discussed in forums here.
Old 10-13-14, 07:44 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Figuring worldwide, more people use android vs ios, it only makes sense to offer both options.

Even with nav in most of my cars, I still prefer using google maps navigation. Mirrorlink is a godsend and I'm glad to see Google forcing phone makers to incorporate this. I already basically only use my car system as an amplifier. I use my phone to play music, navigate, make phonecalls, etc, all via bluetooth.
Old 10-14-14, 06:34 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ajs

We'll I would want it so I could use the always updated MAP and directions feature of my phone. The other day I was able to use SIRI. I gave Siri the command go to this address and it started calling out directions which came through my car speakers.