Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jay Leno to return to TV with his own car show?

Old 10-09-14, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Jay Leno to return to TV with his own car show?

Keep your fingers crossed....................

http://jalopnik.com/jay-leno-might-r...how-1643896009

Jay Leno hasn't been a regular on TV since his stint on The Tonight Show ended earlier this year. But he has been online, talking cars on Jay Leno's Garage. And now it sounds like he's coming back to TV with a brand new show all about cars.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Leno is in negotiations with CNBC for the new primetime series, and it would be primarily about Leno's love of cars.

There is no timeframe for when the show could debut or how many episodes it would encompass, though it is expected to be a regular series. It's not clear if the show would be the Jay Leno's Garage web series converted to TV or a whole new program entirely, but what is for sure is that it'll be good to have a certified gearhead in charge of the show.23

We'll have to wait and see just how good the show can be.
Old 10-09-14, 05:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It'll probably be bigger than Top Gear America
Old 10-09-14, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It'll probably be bigger than Top Gear America
Probably make more sense, too, IMO.
Old 10-09-14, 11:26 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome, all ready a fan of his "Jay Leno's Garage"
Old 10-10-14, 06:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

it would be awesome
Old 10-16-14, 05:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Jay Leno's new CNBC series will indeed be Garage-based

Last we heard, Jay Leno was almost ready to sign a deal with CNBC to get back on television regularly for the first time since he left The Tonight Show. Well, it's official, and with the ink on the contract barely dry, we're getting some new details about Leno's upcoming car show.

Tentatively titled Jay Leno's Garage, just like the fantastic web series, it premieres sometime in 2015 with spotlights on restoration projects and road tests of supercars and classics. Being on CNBC, the show is also taking a financial angle to "focus on the car collector's market, including best investments and valuations in the space," according to the network.

Leno said in the statement published by CNBC: "The show will be about anything that rolls, explodes and makes noise. We hope to highlight the passion and the stories behind the men and women who made the automobile the greatest invention of the 20th century."

Based on that description, it sounds like we're getting the Jay Leno's Garage series directly transplanted to television with touch of financial info too. As long as the quality remains high, that doesn't sound so bad.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/16/j...w-cnbc-series/
Old 10-19-14, 10:36 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Sounds good, I can see this being pretty popular especially if he has celebrity guests on driving cars with him, fixes older cars up, reviews cars, and maybe does some kind of comedy in it somewhere.

Kind of Top Gear, Wheeler Dealers(without buying/selling the cars), Cars and Coffee, Comedians in Cars getting Coffee wrapped in one.
Old 10-19-14, 10:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Sounds good, I can see this being pretty popular especially if he has celebrity guests on driving cars with him, fixes older cars up, reviews cars, and maybe does some kind of comedy in it somewhere.
I agree, but Jay is used to doing his nightly round of one-liners and stand-up comedy for years....which can be well-suited to politics/current events, but not really to cars. He might have to realize that, except for Jeremy Clarkson/Top Gear and Click and Clack (Tom and Ray Magliozzi), auto shows aren't the place for the kind of stand-up comedy routine he's used to starting his former late-night show off with. And, even with Click and Clack (for those of you who have ever listened to them or ear their column), they just mix in a couple of puns/jokes here and there with serious answers to car and car-repair-related questions.
Old 10-19-14, 06:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree, but Jay is used to doing his nightly round of one-liners and stand-up comedy for years....which can be well-suited to politics/current events, but not really to cars. He might have to realize that, except for Jeremy Clarkson/Top Gear and Click and Clack (Tom and Ray Magliozzi), auto shows aren't the place for the kind of stand-up comedy routine he's used to starting his former late-night show off with. And, even with Click and Clack (for those of you who have ever listened to them or ear their column), they just mix in a couple of puns/jokes here and there with serious answers to car and car-repair-related questions.
Watch his web series. Its not his corny monologue, don't worry. Letterman was a much better comedian IMO, but I think Jay is BY FAR a better TV host/personality. Jay can actually engage the viewer in a serious or techinical topic without coming off as boring or dry. Just watch his youtube channel, he's great, especially the more weird/esoteric the car he is talking about.

Last edited by Aron9000; 10-19-14 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-19-14, 07:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

His youtube channel is extremely popular. I can imagine it will be huge. Everyone loves Jay Leno and everyone loves cars. I always dig they way he goes through the history when he goes over a car
Old 10-21-14, 10:41 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Watch his web series. Its not his corny monologue, don't worry. Letterman was a much better comedian IMO, but I think Jay is BY FAR a better TV host/personality. Jay can actually engage the viewer in a serious or techinical topic without coming off as boring or dry. Just watch his youtube channel, he's great, especially the more weird/esoteric the car he is talking about.
Agreed, Jay's subtle sense of humour is always ready to sieze any opportunity. Kinda like when he interviews random people on the street.