Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Picked up a Tesla Model S for my wife's birthday....my car is still better!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-14, 03:05 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Hahaha, good point. Haters gonna hate. I just like older, more eccentric cars, if I had 100k to blow on a car, it wouldn't be something made in the last 10-15 years that everybody else has.

I don't really care if its slower or a money pit, as long as its interesting to look at and has that great "mechanical" feel to it like a lot of older cars, I don't really care. I'm thinking at 100k, 1960's C2 or C3 big block Corvette. Or maybe something a bit esoteric like a Maserati Merak, Detsmado Pantera, E type Jag, Jensen Interceptor, Fiat Dino,
I like that Maserati Merak and those Corvettes that you mention, but if I go old school my heart still belongs to a 1969 Camaro and '70 Chevelle. Nice way to spend 100k ! The most "mechanical" feeling car I ever owned was an '87 BMW 325 (E30). Even to this day, I search craigslist and ebay for E30's and dream about more garage space lol.
Old 10-13-14, 03:24 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by that2JZguy
WTF did you just say
Originally Posted by GSteg
He said "I might let the Toyota go eventually, if I start looking for a Gallardo."
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I think there was sarcasm there. Especially from a member who's SN mirrors one of Toyota's most legendary engines. Basically he was saying its heresy to drop the Supra for a Gallardo
Originally Posted by RXSF
lol hoovey, I think there was sarcasm in return from GSteg
Originally Posted by GSteg
lol too funny guys. i will try my hardest to keep the Supra when it's time for a Gallardo!

Originally Posted by 2BENVD
Sweet picture and collection
Originally Posted by Sh1nra
I'm thinking the same haha!

Awesome collection of cars you have there
Thanks guys. I work my *** off, but i cant do it alone. My wife insists on working. I cannot complain
Old 10-14-14, 10:51 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Nice, we can get the Model S for about $80K for the 60kw and about $95K for the 85kw here in Japan.

I seriously looked at the Model S 85kw for my wife as well, but she wants the LS when I finally decide on my car, so that kicked that idea in the butt.

Just curious as to if your wife is a car person and if not how easy is it to drive? My wife is not a car person.
My wife is not a car person at all, but amongst all the manufacturers she favors Porsche's designs the most. When looking at 911's at the dealership, she actually liked the Panamera more (wtf!), but I refused to buy the Panamera. The only Porsche I will buy is a 911 lol. So the Tesla ended up a compromise between a Panamera and an LS600hL (what I liked). The Model S is extremely easy to drive. She loves never having to go to the gas station.

Originally Posted by mmarshall

The Tesla Model S, of course, also has an extremely high reputation (one of the highest-scoring cars Consumer Reports has ever tested), but its cruising-range, though excellent by pure-electric standards, still makes it somewhat limited compared to gas engines or hybrids.
I agree. Battery tech needs to hit at least 250 miles cruising range to be more practical.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
many who are not 'car people' love the LS for its complete absence of drama or issues.
Exactly why I wanted an LS600hL as a daily driver. The Model S feels this way too, but only time will tell with regards to reliability.
Old 10-14-14, 02:55 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fun cars, we live close to the Tesla factory so we see those cars EVERYDAY.

The only real keeper in this photo is the Supra...........
Old 10-15-14, 01:08 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s4play
The only real keeper in this photo is the Supra...........

Name:  Z5TkTOE.gif
Views: 2
Size:  1.93 MB
Old 10-16-14, 03:34 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
The Model S is beginning to show some serious fit and finish and reliability issues. Many long term owners are experiencing problems with the main screen, as well as the drive units that must be changed out. Just read up on the Edmunds long term review (though they no longer own it anymore). Consumer reports gave it an initial 10/10 but recently qualified their scoring by saying that they need more time with their vehicle.

If you want drama free, the LS is probably going to be the better choice of the two.
This is my main concern, but the Tesla service center is less than 10 minutes from our home. Big factor in my purchase decision because Tesla is still new and unproven.

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
The only reason she wants the LS is b/c she knows what it is like to drive and does not want to have to learn how to drive a new car to her. And as Bitkahuna said, its lack of drama.

I on the other hand found the LS so un-stimulating, however I really wish they would do an LS-F and I would seriously consider one of those. That is the main reason why I am looking at the S65 AMG.

Back on topic, the Tesla really does look like a nice car and I may still end up picking one up as a company car to get some tax breaks here in Japan.
I love the LS for the drama-free drive, perfect for daily driver duties, as I already have a couple coupes for going fast. But the significant tax breaks that came with the Tesla swayed me.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you can afford one, fine. An S65 costs an arm and a leg. I respect your opinion, but in mine, I'm not sure it's worth its price tag.....which, for 2015, is now up to 222K. One could buy three brand-new LSs for that price.
Agree. An S65 is amazing, but in my opinion $222k towards one car is a bit much.
Old 10-16-14, 09:25 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
This is my main concern, but the Tesla service center is less than 10 minutes from our home. Big factor in my purchase decision because Tesla is still new and unproven.

I love the LS for the drama-free drive, perfect for daily driver duties, as I already have a couple coupes for going fast. But the significant tax breaks that came with the Tesla swayed me.

Agree. An S65 is amazing, but in my opinion $222k towards one car is a bit much.
Used Benz S65 is where its at. That car is way overpriced IMO, the brutal depreciation reflects that.

Certified Pre-owned 2009 S65, 49k miles, $62,000 Same glorious engine and transmission as a new 2015 one costing $225k.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...77596356&Log=0
Old 10-16-14, 09:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Used Benz S65 is where its at. That car is way overpriced IMO, the brutal depreciation reflects that.

Certified Pre-owned 2009 S65, 49k miles, $62,000 Same glorious engine and transmission as a new 2015 one costing $225k.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...77596356&Log=0
Except the candy shell is different
Old 10-17-14, 12:23 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Except the candy shell is different
Honestly I like the styling of the previous W221 a lot better than the new W222 model. The new one is kind of a mess with a bunch of body lines and seams that don't really flow well together from front to back. The design looks half baked IMO. The technology, well I could care less about driver automation, which is the the big tech advantage over the W221.

I will say the interior furnishings on the W222 are a step above the W221, going from just really damn nice to it looks like a handmade Rolls Royce interior.
Old 10-17-14, 04:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Honestly I like the styling of the previous W221 a lot better than the new W222 model. The new one is kind of a mess with a bunch of body lines and seams that don't really flow well together from front to back. The design looks half baked IMO. The technology, well I could care less about driver automation, which is the the big tech advantage over the W221.

I will say the interior furnishings on the W222 are a step above the W221, going from just really damn nice to it looks like a handmade Rolls Royce interior.
Fair enough, styling is certainly subjective. My one gripe is the two spoke steering wheel on the new one.. yuck lol