Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Picked up a Tesla Model S for my wife's birthday....my car is still better!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-14, 12:20 AM
that2JZguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
I might let the Toyota go eventually, if I start looking for a Gallardo.
WTF did you just say
Old 10-11-14, 01:57 AM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Funny thing is the car I want most in your driveway is the junky 20 year old Toyota.
I'm thinking the same haha!

Awesome collection of cars you have there
Old 10-11-14, 12:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by that2JZguy
WTF did you just say

He said "I might let the Toyota go eventually, if I start looking for a Gallardo."
Old 10-11-14, 03:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
He said "I might let the Toyota go eventually, if I start looking for a Gallardo."
I think there was sarcasm there. Especially from a member who's SN mirrors one of Toyota's most legendary engines. Basically he was saying its heresy to drop the Supra for a Gallardo
Old 10-11-14, 03:39 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

lol hoovey, I think there was sarcasm in return from GSteg
Old 10-11-14, 04:05 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet picture and collection
Old 10-11-14, 04:33 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol hoovey, I think there was sarcasm in return from GSteg
Old 10-11-14, 06:00 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, we can get the Model S for about $80K for the 60kw and about $95K for the 85kw here in Japan.

I seriously looked at the Model S 85kw for my wife as well, but she wants the LS when I finally decide on my car, so that kicked that idea in the butt.

Just curious as to if your wife is a car person and if not how easy is it to drive? My wife is not a car person.
Old 10-11-14, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I seriously looked at the Model S 85kw for my wife as well, but she wants the LS when I finally decide on my car, so that kicked that idea in the butt.

Just curious as to if your wife is a car person and if not how easy is it to drive? My wife is not a car person.
If your wife wants an LS, I'd sure have to say she's a car person. With the possible exception of the most recent Mercedes S-Class models, the LS has, for decades, been, IMO, the best mass-produced luxury sedan on the market. She apparantly knows automotive competence when she sees it.

The Tesla Model S, of course, also has an extremely high reputation (one of the highest-scoring cars Consumer Reports has ever tested), but its cruising-range, though excellent by pure-electric standards, still makes it somewhat limited compared to gas engines or hybrids.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-11-14 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-11-14, 06:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

many who are not 'car people' love the LS for its complete absence of drama or issues.

i agree the LS was the best build quality luxury sedan on the market for a looong time. it still ranks above everything else in studies, but i agree that cars like s class, a8, etc., are also excellent.
Old 10-11-14, 07:21 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Funny thing is the car I want most in your driveway is the junky 20 year old Toyota.
Amen to that!
Old 10-11-14, 08:57 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Tesla Model S, of course, also has an extremely high reputation (one of the highest-scoring cars Consumer Reports has ever tested), but its cruising-range, though excellent by pure-electric standards, still makes it somewhat limited compared to gas engines or hybrids.
The Model S is beginning to show some serious fit and finish and reliability issues. Many long term owners are experiencing problems with the main screen, as well as the drive units that must be changed out. Just read up on the Edmunds long term review (though they no longer own it anymore). Consumer reports gave it an initial 10/10 but recently qualified their scoring by saying that they need more time with their vehicle.

If you want drama free, the LS is probably going to be the better choice of the two.
Old 10-11-14, 09:22 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If your wife wants an LS, I'd sure have to say she's a car person. With the possible exception of the most recent Mercedes S-Class models, the LS has, for decades, been, IMO, the best mass-produced luxury sedan on the market. She apparantly knows automotive competence when she sees it.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
many who are not 'car people' love the LS for its complete absence of drama or issues.

i agree the LS was the best build quality luxury sedan on the market for a looong time. it still ranks above everything else in studies, but i agree that cars like s class, a8, etc., are also excellent.
The only reason she wants the LS is b/c she knows what it is like to drive and does not want to have to learn how to drive a new car to her. And as Bitkahuna said, its lack of drama.

I on the other hand found the LS so un-stimulating, however I really wish they would do an LS-F and I would seriously consider one of those. That is the main reason why I am looking at the S65 AMG.

Back on topic, the Tesla really does look like a nice car and I may still end up picking one up as a company car to get some tax breaks here in Japan.
Old 10-11-14, 09:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
many who are not 'car people' love the LS for its complete absence of drama or issues. :thumb up:
They (at least IMO) are car-people enough to recognize luxury-car excellence when they see it. I know if I was spending 70 or 80K on a new car, that's what would be in my driveway, hands-down.

Well, that's why I said, in my post above, that the latest version of the Mercedes S550 is also a superb luxury car and will give the LS a run for its money. Earlier ones, though, were unreliable.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-11-14 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-11-14, 10:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave600hL

I on the other hand found the LS so un-stimulating, however I really wish they would do an LS-F and I would seriously consider one of those. That is the main reason why I am looking at the S65 AMG.
If you can afford one, fine. An S65 costs an arm and a leg. I respect your opinion, but in mine, I'm not sure it's worth its price tag.....which, for 2015, is now up to 222K. One could buy three brand-new LSs for that price.

Quick Reply: Picked up a Tesla Model S for my wife's birthday....my car is still better!!