Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Picked up a Tesla Model S for my wife's birthday....my car is still better!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-14, 11:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Of course you want to keep it plugged in so you always have a near full charge, but you can set the Tesla system to only charge to a certain percentage. Batteries hate to be fully charged, and they hate to be fully depleted.
they also hate being trickle charged :-)
Old 10-05-14, 01:09 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent choice & well done. I want a Tesla but in SUV model. I NEED the space. As soon as they introduce a SUV model of comparable range or better I'll buy it.
Old 10-05-14, 03:31 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Excellent choice & well done. I want a Tesla but in SUV model. I NEED the space. As soon as they introduce a SUV model of comparable range or better I'll buy it.
I think an all electric traditional looking SUV would be a tall order, both figuratively and literally. The aerodynamics just suck on a taller vehicle, which is one of the tricks the Tesla has up its sleeve to increase its range. Plus to make a "one box" vehicle like an SUV, with no trunk bulkhead, you need more steel to increase the structural rigidity and pass stringent rollover requirements.

All Wheel Drive is pretty much expected on a premium $60,000 plus SUV now days. The Audi Q5, Q7, Benz ML, GL, boxy German Hummer G class, BMW X3, X5, Land Cruiser, Lexus LX, Acura MDX, all of these have AWD standard.

IMO the Tesla would need to at least offer a sophisticated AWD system as an option. And no it can't be an old school transfer case with a lever like my uncle's 1970 Chevy pickup, where you can run it in 2wd most of the time unless you need 4wd. Those are great for saving gas, but it wouldn't fly in 2014 at this price point. AWD vehicles suck the gas, so an AWD Tesla would suck the electrons at a furious rate, reducing your range considerably. Add in the 3rd row seat people expect, a Tesla S currently weighs a hefty 4600lbs. I'm guessing a decent sized, ie Mercedes GL sized suv would be at least another 1000lbs. Not saying it couldn't be done, but man it would be hard to get a decent range out of such a car without sacrificing the space for battery packs.

BTW, the Tesla is a hatchback with a very generous trunk, 26 cubic feet with the seats up, 58 cubic feet down, and you can fit big/weird items into it. Plus it has a 5 cubic foot trunk.

If Tesla really wants to move into Europe and just dominate, I think they need to offer an estate car(a honest to god, low slung station wagon). Something that would double the hauling capacity of the current model S, but still offer the avant garde styling in the same size footprint of the model S. Wagons are just hugely popular in Europe.
Old 10-05-14, 04:56 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on your Model S and happy birthday to the Mrs.

I have a friend with a model S in FL and he really likes it. I've driven it a few times and that instant on torque and the electronics of the car are addictive! I'm told getting used to the regen braking is a learned art but stick with it as it really does help with range.

I see you are in IL so it will be interesting to see how the car behaves in below freezing weather for long periods of time. I hope you continue to update us through the seasons.
Old 10-05-14, 10:08 AM
RXSF

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I think an all electric traditional looking SUV would be a tall order, both figuratively and literally. The aerodynamics just suck on a taller vehicle, which is one of the tricks the Tesla has up its sleeve to increase its range. Plus to make a "one box" vehicle like an SUV, with no trunk bulkhead, you need more steel to increase the structural rigidity and pass stringent rollover requirements.

All Wheel Drive is pretty much expected on a premium $60,000 plus SUV now days. The Audi Q5, Q7, Benz ML, GL, boxy German Hummer G class, BMW X3, X5, Land Cruiser, Lexus LX, Acura MDX, all of these have AWD standard.

IMO the Tesla would need to at least offer a sophisticated AWD system as an option. And no it can't be an old school transfer case with a lever like my uncle's 1970 Chevy pickup, where you can run it in 2wd most of the time unless you need 4wd. Those are great for saving gas, but it wouldn't fly in 2014 at this price point. AWD vehicles suck the gas, so an AWD Tesla would suck the electrons at a furious rate, reducing your range considerably. Add in the 3rd row seat people expect, a Tesla S currently weighs a hefty 4600lbs. I'm guessing a decent sized, ie Mercedes GL sized suv would be at least another 1000lbs. Not saying it couldn't be done, but man it would be hard to get a decent range out of such a car without sacrificing the space for battery packs.

BTW, the Tesla is a hatchback with a very generous trunk, 26 cubic feet with the seats up, 58 cubic feet down, and you can fit big/weird items into it. Plus it has a 5 cubic foot trunk.

If Tesla really wants to move into Europe and just dominate, I think they need to offer an estate car(a honest to god, low slung station wagon). Something that would double the hauling capacity of the current model S, but still offer the avant garde styling in the same size footprint of the model S. Wagons are just hugely popular in Europe.
Model X is coming out next year. http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx

What they did with the awe system is like the toyota/lexus hybrids. They simply tacked on another electric motor to the rear wheels
Old 10-05-14, 10:40 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Did you get the P85+?
We got the 60 kwh battery. P85+ is overkill for my wife's driving habits.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
congrats! really would like to hear what your typical 'range' you're willing to chance before getting back to the grid? also, how do you know a guage is optimistic unless you run out?

oh and you're livin' the life there with those cars, house at only 30!
Thank you! My wife and I worked very hard throughout our twenties lol. We turned down any help from our parents. I would be comfortable driving it down to about 25 miles remaining....similar to when the "low fuel" light turns on in a gasoline vehicle. I know the gauge is optimistic without regenerative braking because, for example, a round trip to Chicago is 50 miles, but when we get home the range is down almost 60 miles.

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Congratulations from a fellow Chicagolander.

I commute past the Tesla shop and it looks like they are finally able to build some inventory.

I am hoping the D is the AWD version of the S.

I am also hoping they include the MobileEye semiautonomous stuff. I really like what it does for my Q50.
Thank you, sir. Actually, all those cars at the Tesla shop are accounted for....either scheduled new deliveries or customer cars in for service checkups. If you go to the Tesla store in Oakbrook to buy a car that day, they will tell you it's a 2 month wait. I would have preferred an AWD Tesla too, but I really wanted my wife to get a car for her 30th birthday....the memory will last forever. The MobileEye technology is pretty amazing. I think it's just a matter of time til it catches on.
Old 10-05-14, 10:51 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Congrats on the new car!

I was just at a Tesla dealer today and was given a little different information about the charging. The person I talked to said they recommend leaving the car plugged when at home or not in use - sounds contrary 90% charge thing.

Also, the warranty, as I read, is 8 years/125k on the 60 and 8 years unlimited mileage on the 85 and P85.
Originally Posted by RXSF
Of course you want to keep it plugged in so you always have a near full charge, but you can set the Tesla system to only charge to a certain percentage. Batteries hate to be fully charged, and they hate to be fully depleted.
It is recommended to leave the car plugged in when at home or not in use, but RSXF is right. You set the Tesla to charge the battery only to a certain percent. When we took delivery, the battery is set to charge to around 85% capacity as default from the factory. Warranty is 4 years standard on the 60 with option to extend to 8 years for extra money. Pretty sure you are correct about 85/P85.

Funny thing is the car I want most in your driveway is the junky 20 year old Toyota.
You are not alone
I might let the Toyota go eventually, if I start looking for a Gallardo.

Last edited by GQD_GS4; 10-05-14 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-05-14, 12:26 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

sick collection of cars you have there.
Old 10-05-14, 03:08 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
It is recommended to leave the car plugged in when at home or not in use, but RSXF is right. You set the Tesla to charge the battery only to a certain percent. When we took delivery, the battery is set to charge to around 85% capacity as default from the factory. Warranty is 4 years standard on the 60 with option to extend to 8 years for extra money. Pretty sure you are correct about 85/P85.

You are not alone
I might let the Toyota go eventually, if I start looking for a Gallardo.
Oh come on now, a Gallardo???? That's the poser Lamborghini. Honestly I think they sold more Gallardos in the USA than they did Supras. If you mod your Supra, its going to be faster than a Gallardo anyways.

BTW, if you want to buy a Lamborghini, buy something a bit older and more esoteric, an Espada, a Miura, a Countach, a 400GT, an Espada, an Islero.
Old 10-05-14, 10:59 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are there two different warranties for the Model S? Powertrain and battery? The 60, as I was told yesterday, shows 8 yrs/125k standard for the battery warranty - can't find anything saying it costs extra.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/performance
Old 10-06-14, 04:39 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting group of cars. With you being in IL, how do you get along during the winter? I feel like the Tesla's reduced range and the other cars not being known for their snow capability would be of concern.
Old 10-06-14, 07:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Are there two different warranties for the Model S? Powertrain and battery? The 60, as I was told yesterday, shows 8 yrs/125k standard for the battery warranty - can't find anything saying it costs extra.

As I understand it, all automotive hybrid and pure-electric battery-packs are required to have an 8 year warranty by Federal law.
Old 10-06-14, 10:49 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TripleL
Congrats on your Model S and happy birthday to the Mrs.

I have a friend with a model S in FL and he really likes it. I've driven it a few times and that instant on torque and the electronics of the car are addictive! I'm told getting used to the regen braking is a learned art but stick with it as it really does help with range.

I see you are in IL so it will be interesting to see how the car behaves in below freezing weather for long periods of time. I hope you continue to update us through the seasons.
I find the instant torque very helpful when making a right turn and getting up to traffic speed. Getting used to the regenerative braking will take some time, though. Having any music request at your fingertips is also pretty cool. Yes, we are in Illinois, but this car will not be driven in the snow...my wife has a GLK to take the beating. I'd imagine that the battery will drain a lot faster when we see Chicago turn into Chiberia again. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
sick collection of cars you have there.
Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Thanks. Model X is coming. Battery tech can only get better, not worse.
Old 10-06-14, 11:02 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Oh come on now, a Gallardo???? That's the poser Lamborghini. Honestly I think they sold more Gallardos in the USA than they did Supras. If you mod your Supra, its going to be faster than a Gallardo anyways.

BTW, if you want to buy a Lamborghini, buy something a bit older and more esoteric, an Espada, a Miura, a Countach, a 400GT, an Espada, an Islero.
Thanks for your input.
I respect your opinion, but I have no interest in modding my Supra to the max, which I can if I wanted to, nor do I have any interest in any old, money-pit Lamborghinis. I only listen to suggestions from people I know and are more successful than me, not strangers on the internet. I think I am doing pretty good for 30 years old. These are my opinions.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/performance
Originally Posted by mmarshall
As I understand it, all automotive hybrid and pure-electric battery-packs are required to have an 8 year warranty by Federal law.
Sorry, let me be more clear: bumper to bumper warranty is 4 years, with option to extend to 8 years for $4000. Battery warranty is a separate warranty altogether, I think mmarshall is right on that one.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Interesting group of cars. With you being in IL, how do you get along during the winter? I feel like the Tesla's reduced range and the other cars not being known for their snow capability would be of concern.
Wife: GLK350
Me: Prelude on blizzaks...though i am dreaming of a CL550 4-matic
Old 10-10-14, 11:47 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Thanks for your input.
I respect your opinion, but I have no interest in modding my Supra to the max, which I can if I wanted to, nor do I have any interest in any old, money-pit Lamborghinis. I only listen to suggestions from people I know and are more successful than me, not strangers on the internet. I think I am doing pretty good for 30 years old. These are my opinions.

Hahaha, good point. Haters gonna hate. I just like older, more eccentric cars, if I had 100k to blow on a car, it wouldn't be something made in the last 10-15 years that everybody else has.

I don't really care if its slower or a money pit, as long as its interesting to look at and has that great "mechanical" feel to it like a lot of older cars, I don't really care. I'm thinking at 100k, 1960's C2 or C3 big block Corvette. Or maybe something a bit esoteric like a Maserati Merak, Detsmado Pantera, E type Jag, Jensen Interceptor, Fiat Dino,

Quick Reply: Picked up a Tesla Model S for my wife's birthday....my car is still better!!