Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Low mileage GS350 AWD vs 2015 Legacy vs 2015 Mazda 6

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-14, 09:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't need to even read the first post, a 15 Legacy or Mazda 6 over a 2011 car any day of the week.
Old 10-05-14, 05:23 PM
weezer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent advice, thank you so much. The people here are always the best.

As much as I hate to do it, but I have removed the 2011 GS from my search. I have a strong emotional connection to it, however the maintenance, and far lower MPG does not make sense. This also leads me to a place where at some point in the near future I may need a financed car with great MPG, and then a second lower end SUV for the bigger jobs to lease as the numbers just don't seem to work financing/leasing a SUV and burning on 30k-40k miles a year.

The additional criteria I am trying to make work is finding a sedan with Apple CarPlay, it is on some 2015's or on some vehicles with a standard double din opening I can easily slide in an aftermarket Pioneer or similar unit with CarPlay/Navigation.

Now I am down to the 6 or Subaru(which I still need to test drive the Legacy) and hopefully the new Kia Optima/Sorento pricing and Carplay compatibility will be announced soon. The new Sonata has CarPlay, so since they share a platform with the Optimas, I would assume it will have this.

Thanks again!
Old 10-05-14, 07:19 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The Kia Optima is a really sharp car.
Old 10-05-14, 08:30 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah the GS shouldn't even be an option if its for business so its good you removed it.

Between the Mazda 6 and Legacy, I would compare cost of ownership for both cars and see which one is cheaper to own. Only reason why I say cheaper is because on jobs, you want to spend less time at the gas station, less time worrying about maintenance and more time on the road getting to places. After looking a few sites, most sites rate the Mazda 6 and the Legacy pretty even. Price is roughly around the $20-21k, MPG is almost the same 28/38 so it would be a tossup when you test drive both. Maintenance for the subaru is probably a little more with the AWD compared to the Mazda FWD

I would consider outside factors like the area you live which I see is jersey so the Legacy gets my pick. The Mazda is nice and i really love the new Mazda Exterior styling but i havent driven either car
Old 10-05-14, 08:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Honda Accord Sport - looks GREAT, reliable, top MPG in its class, Retains value, standard rearview camera etc.
Old 10-06-14, 12:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by weezer
Excellent advice, thank you so much. The people here are always the best.

As much as I hate to do it, but I have removed the 2011 GS from my search. I have a strong emotional connection to it, however the maintenance, and far lower MPG does not make sense. This also leads me to a place where at some point in the near future I may need a financed car with great MPG, and then a second lower end SUV for the bigger jobs to lease as the numbers just don't seem to work financing/leasing a SUV and burning on 30k-40k miles a year.

The additional criteria I am trying to make work is finding a sedan with Apple CarPlay, it is on some 2015's or on some vehicles with a standard double din opening I can easily slide in an aftermarket Pioneer or similar unit with CarPlay/Navigation.

Now I am down to the 6 or Subaru(which I still need to test drive the Legacy) and hopefully the new Kia Optima/Sorento pricing and Carplay compatibility will be announced soon. The new Sonata has CarPlay, so since they share a platform with the Optimas, I would assume it will have this.

Thanks again!

I think that by this time next year, most cars will have carplay.
Old 10-14-14, 09:02 PM
weezer
Rookie

Thank you for the feedback everyone! Although the 2015 Legacy did not have CarPlay, it fit most of my needs as an overall package and solution. Going from an SUV to a car, AWD was an absolute living in the NorthEast, and that eliminated the Mazda 6 as I cannot budged having two cars at this time.

I have to say, although the exterior is a little bland(but way improved over the last gen) and the interior also a little bland, it drives and handles like an absolute animal. I am so impressed by the driving dynamics, it is absolutely amazing.

Hopefully I get lucky and CarPlay will be a firmware update. All the research on the included "Starlink" is that the iphone was the benchmark for it's design, yet only a couple apps barely work. Hoping for the best as it is a feature that will really benefit my life many years in the future...

I had all intentions of getting the Limited 2.5 with EyeSight, but of course I test drove the 3.6R and fell in love. Still better gas mileage then the 11 GS, but not quite the 36 HWY of the 2.5. I didn't realize how in demand this launch was until I was in the showroom... they were literally flying off the lot. Just about everyone coming in the door was chattering "Legacy" and deals were coming together quick. The Pearl white/Limited/3.6/black interior with EyeSight was the only one in over 200 miles.

The EyeSight tech is pretty amazing on a car south of 35k. The sticker was around 33k, and I was able to get them down to 30,400 and change.

Of course my first day on the highway a rock hits the windshield and I have a quarter size crack. 2 estimates, and repair is not possible. With installation costing me 620 for the repair... car insurance glass deductible is $500.00 so it didn't make sense to put in a claim.

Thanks again everyone, and I really hope the reliability is a strong point for Subaru and this new model... I will be putting on easily 35k-45k miles a year.

Also just a simple note, the "infotainment" ans "Nav" is almost identical to the new Camry... looks like Subaru just licensed it and renamed it Starlink.

I will also say my 2014 Sorento did MANY things better then the Subaru, not to mention general overall quality and fit and finish. Just brings it all home to see how far Kia is come, and I'm sure I will be a Kia owner again in the future... really impressed by my 2014 Kia Sorento SXL, it will be missed and provided me 45,000 safe miles traveling in near luxury.

Last edited by weezer; 10-14-14 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-15-14, 07:52 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

3.6R! congrats -- great car IMO!

pics?!?!?
Old 10-15-14, 09:24 AM
weezer
Rookie

@bagwell I'll take some pics once the windshield is replaced. I still cannot get over how amazing this car drives!
Old 10-15-14, 01:55 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Weezer, if you can wait, and don't mind the lack of AWD, the 2016 model year Mazda 6 is getting a decent refresh, should bring over the newer entertainment system and design from the Mazda3. Should go on sale very early 2015 calendar year.
Old 10-15-14, 02:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

He already bought the Subaru...
Old 10-15-14, 02:50 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
He already bought the Subaru...
Whoops was reading through from the beginning and didn't get to the end of the thread. My mistake!

Congrats on the Legacy. EyeSight does indeed work quite effectively in the speed ranges that it operates in. Sorry to hear about the rock crack already! Stinks.
Old 10-15-14, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations. No, the 3.6R won't get the same mileage as the 2.5 (and costs more), but it is far more responsive...I can see why you chose it. Some people would find the 2.5, even with the efficient CVT, to be underpowered....the Legacy's size and AWD is a load for it.
Old 10-15-14, 08:18 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations on making the choice that suited your needs.
Old 10-15-14, 11:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The EyeSight tech is pretty amazing on a car south of 35k. The sticker was around 33k, and I was able to get them down to 30,400 and change.
Well done sir

Quick Reply: 2011 Low mileage GS350 AWD vs 2015 Legacy vs 2015 Mazda 6