Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SUV/CUVs outsell sedans

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-14, 01:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts
Default SUV/CUVs outsell sedans

years ago i stated that suvs/cuvs would eventually outsell sedans. i believed this for several reasons - here's a few:
- families find them more useful / practical
- older people find them easier to get in and out of and their stuff
- an aging population (retiring baby boomers)
- many like the higher seating position and visibility of the road
- many who are active outside like the ability to carry kayaks, bikes, camping gear, etc. without being constrained by a 'trunk'

well 2014 is the year it happened.

good article on it here:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...irst-time-ever
Old 10-02-14, 02:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Not surprising considering that most of them now get good gas mileage and have AWD optional, something you can't get on a lot of sedans.

Coupe market is still in a slow death spiral I've noticed. Kind of funny how out of fashion 2 doors have become even from 15 years ago when I first started driving. Then that's not even counting how popular they were back in the 60's/70's when 2 doors were almost half of the market.
Old 10-02-14, 03:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Not surprising considering that most of them now get good gas mileage and have AWD optional, something you can't get on a lot of sedans.

Coupe market is still in a slow death spiral I've noticed. Kind of funny how out of fashion 2 doors have become even from 15 years ago when I first started driving. Then that's not even counting how popular they were back in the 60's/70's when 2 doors were almost half of the market.

That's because 2-doors and coupes, especially smaller ones, can make it a PITA for adults to enter/exit and ride in the rear seats. There was also the somewhat misguided and inaccurate stereotype, for decades, of one having to have 2 doors for "sportiness", that 4 doors couldn't do the job. Today's Chevy SS, Dodge Charger SRT, Mitsubushi Evo, WRX/STi Impreza, BMW 335, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, and a number of others have since debunked that theory.
Old 10-02-14, 03:47 PM
1neeto
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because 2-doors and coupes, especially smaller ones, can make it a PITA for adults to enter/exit and ride in the rear seats. There was also the somewhat misguided and inaccurate stereotype, for decades, of one having to have 2 doors for "sportiness", that 4 doors couldn't do the job. Today's Chevy SS, Dodge Charger SRT, Mitsubushi Evo, WRX/STi Impreza, BMW 335, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, and a number of others have since debunked that theory.
When I see a flagship four door Ferrari or Lamborghini, then I'll believe that a four door can be just as sporty as a two door.
Old 10-02-14, 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1neeto
When I see a flagship four door Ferrari or Lamborghini, then I'll believe that a four door can be just as sporty as a two door.

Tell that to the Evo/STi fans, and watch what happens.
Old 10-02-14, 06:31 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, automakers have given you a bit of choice now days if you want practical speed. Doesn't help that Audi, Benz, and BMW will sell you an RS4 or RS5, M3 or M4 two door, etc. Still there is a certain driving experience in some coupes that you'll never get in a 4 door package. Mustang, Camaro, Scion FR-S, Corvette, etc

Most people don't care about dynamics and aren't slaves to style like they were back in the 60's/70's with their automotive purchases. Plus the coupes were bigger back then, ie a mafia hit squad could fit in a Coupe Deville, plus it had that nice level ride feature so the rear didn't sag from all the bodies in the trunk.

Last edited by Aron9000; 10-02-14 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 07:58 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my next vehicle will be an SUV.... my first SUV mind you. 4-door sedan just doesn't cut it anymore.

Family life.
Old 10-02-14, 09:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SC4
my next vehicle will be an SUV.... my first SUV mind you. 4-door sedan just doesn't cut it anymore.

Family life.
with machines like the Macan, who needs a sedan
Old 10-02-14, 10:16 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

This is mostly all due to gas prices. When they skyrocket, SUV/CUV sales drop and hybrid sales climb. Since gas has only cost an arm and not a leg lately, sales of the rigs/riggetts are climbing again. Up/down, all based on gas.
Old 10-03-14, 05:06 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 199 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 1neeto
Careful what you wish for. Just a few years ago, most of us would have said Porsche would never make a sedan, and then came the Panamera. And with Lamborghini saying the'll soon do a "sedan or SUV, but not both", the ranks of exclusively 2-door marques may dwindle even further.

Ferrari already sells a flagship four-door, they just put a trident on the snout rather than a pony.
Old 10-03-14, 01:04 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here... or a 5 door (prius). My IS250 will be my last sedan for a long time.
Old 10-03-14, 01:22 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Family life.
+1. We have a tc, sc, gs & a Tacoma and an SUV/CUV has been getting more and more attractive.
Old 10-03-14, 08:04 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
with machines like the Macan, who needs a sedan
lol.. nah

I think the 6th gen 4Runner will be out 4th quarter of 2016. Will probably go that route if Toyota does it right...
Old 10-03-14, 09:12 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

Part of the problem is the premium most automakers charge for coupes, you are getting a less practical car and paying in some cases thousands extra for the coupe version of a sedan so most just end up going with the sedan. You would think coupes would be less expensive since they have 2 less doors, 2 less door locks, in most cases 2 less power window systems, etc which lowers the price at least a thousand dollars for all that hardware they don't have. The other part of the problems is not many coupes are offered anymore so not much choice.

I don't get SUV's/CUV's, don't like the styling of them or driving them. The only way I see myself getting a SUV is if I live some place that gets a lot of deep snow or have a boat I need to tow. Other then that I want to stick with sedans or coupes/sports cars. The Acura MDX is really the only CUV I find appealing and may consider owning if I need the extra room/towing/snow capability.
Old 10-03-14, 10:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Part of the problem is the premium most automakers charge for coupes, you are getting a less practical car and paying in some cases thousands extra for the coupe version of a sedan so most just end up going with the sedan. You would think coupes would be less expensive since they have 2 less doors, 2 less door locks, in most cases 2 less power window systems, etc which lowers the price at least a thousand dollars for all that hardware they don't have. The other part of the problems is not many coupes are offered anymore so not much choice.

I don't get SUV's/CUV's, don't like the styling of them or driving them. The only way I see myself getting a SUV is if I live some place that gets a lot of deep snow or have a boat I need to tow. Other then that I want to stick with sedans or coupes/sports cars. The Acura MDX is really the only CUV I find appealing and may consider owning if I need the extra room/towing/snow capability.
The other side of the 'Coupe coin' though is a coupe does not need all the excess (doors, cupholders etc.) because it is meant for the driving experience. More R&D, more exotic materials and more unique engineering practices drive up the price rather than physical size. Sometimes less really is more

Quick Reply: SUV/CUVs outsell sedans