Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So I pull in a 76 station to gas up...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-14, 11:35 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I remember when a local station used to charge a .20 more for premium than 87....we had it in 3 intervals at a local station. It was 87, 91 was .10c more, and 93 was .20c more than 87. That gap has spread BIGTIME. I'm curious as to why that's the case though. I don't think any local places here in Jax offer 87 only, except one station which has PURE 100% gas (no ethanol), it's more expensive, but they only offer the 100% gas in 87, not 93 .
Old 10-04-14, 11:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Most stations don't make much profit from gas, period, regardless of octane. That's why you usually see them co-located with either 7-11-type convienience-marts or service-bays.

At .55-.62 more a gal for premium over 87,that' a nice profit for someone.
Old 10-04-14, 11:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The station usually also has to pay more, at wholesale, for premium. It generally costs more to refine and market, for several reasons, but mainly because of the more and better detergents and other additive-packages. That's not to say that regular 87 octane doesn't have adititives....it does, but usually not as much or of as high quality.
Old 10-04-14, 12:28 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

The station usually also has to pay more, at wholesale, for premium. It generally costs more to refine and market, for several reasons, but mainly because of the more and better detergents and other additive-packages. That's not to say that regular 87 octane doesn't have adititives....it does, but usually not as much or of as high quality.
Mike,there was usually a .12-.20 difference between grades.You can't tell me all of a sudden the high cost for premium is so much higher because of the things you posted.
I don't believe that for a second.
The premium gas cost is more now because people will pay for it.
Old 10-04-14, 12:44 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a guess (I don't necessarily know this for a fact) is that it may (?) be related to a lessening in demand in NJ, or across the country, for the higher octanes.

One thing, however, that IS a fact, is that a number of cars that formerly needed higher-octanes (as with many turbos) can now safely run on 87 (though maybe losing a few HP/torque in the process. So, in the minds of many car owners, the very small difference in power to be gained (not even noticeable in most driving situations) is simply not worth paying an extra 30 or 40 cents for each gallon.
I've never seen this anywhere else, though.
Old 10-04-14, 01:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

For quite some time around me, premium is .40 per gallon more than regular when the price of regular is high - And .50 per gallon more when the price of regular is low. Leading me to believe from a retailing standpoint, there is more room or a little more profit on premium when regular prices are relatively low. Less sticker shock at the pump for premium.
Old 10-04-14, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I've never seen this anywhere else, though.
You probably won't. The difference in engine-power between regular and premium is very small....usually measured in single digits.
Old 10-04-14, 01:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
For quite some time around me, premium is .40 per gallon more than regular when the price of regular is high - And .50 per gallon more when the price of regular is low. Leading me to believe from a retailing standpoint, there is more room or a little more profit on premium when regular prices are relatively low. Less sticker shock at the pump for premium.
Still not much, though, compared to what the stations typically make on the food mart and/or service/repairs. That's where they make most of their profit. Many stations that have to rely on gas alone would probably go out of buisness unless they were being subsidized, like the Safeway grocery-operated chain-stations.
Old 10-04-14, 03:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Still not much, though, compared to what the stations typically make on the food mart and/or service/repairs. That's where they make most of their profit. Many stations that have to rely on gas alone would probably go out of buisness unless they were being subsidized, like the Safeway grocery-operated chain-stations.
I wasn't talking about any mini mart sales. My point was if the stations can make an additional .10 on each gallon of premium, they will.
Old 10-04-14, 03:29 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I wasn't talking about any mini mart sales. My point was if the stations can make an additional .10 on each gallon of premium, they will.
I've never bought mini-mart store gas.
Old 10-04-14, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I've never bought mini-mart store gas.
Here in the D.C. area, those mart-stations are a dime a dozen.....especially with Exxon and Shell.
Old 10-04-14, 05:00 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Here in the D.C. area, those mart-stations are a dime a dozen.....especially with Exxon and Shell.
I meant off brand gas like Sheets, Quick Check, Turkey Hill etc.
Old 10-04-14, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I meant off brand gas like Sheets, Quick Check, Turkey Hill etc.
If you use those cut-rate off-brands, be sure to dump in a bottle of fuel-system cleaner regularly. They usually don't have good detergent packages in them like the major brands.....especially Shell and Chevron. That's why I usually don't recommend off-brands. They are cheaper up front at the pump, but can cost you more later on in fuel-system cleaning and/or repairs. (I've done a couple of threads just on this specific issue).
Old 10-07-14, 01:51 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

We ran 87 in our LS400's constantly when we owned them. In fact, the stations my dad fills up at offer 85 octane, and I imagine that's probably what he used most of the time.
Old 10-07-14, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
We ran 87 in our LS400's constantly when we owned them. In fact, the stations my dad fills up at offer 85 octane, and I imagine that's probably what he used most of the time.

None of the LS models, to my knowledge, ever came with a factory turbo. Even if premium is recommended, the computer usually will just retard the spark a little if regular is used and pinging is detected. So you just lose a little HP/torque....usually not enough to be significant, though the engine might run slightly hotter from the retarded spark.

Quick Reply: So I pull in a 76 station to gas up...