Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Talk me out of it! (GS vs CLS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-14, 04:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Not sure what you're talking about here, that interior isn't a decade old...not even half that.
MB interior design with number keypad is very old, at least decade old... 2005 C class looks very similar, but even previous models had similarities.

Stark contrast to their C and S class interiors.

Something between C and S class would have worked a lot better than this frankenstain mix of old E class HVAC/Infotainment controls and big tablet looking thing on top of it.
Old 10-03-14, 05:49 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Well, CLS interior is decade old design... so not something to be proud of exactly. I cant imagine the outrage if Lexus had that old interiors still. On the other hand, their new interiors are awesome.

As to BMW, it depends what model and what equipment... X1 and 3 series are pretty poor. 5 and up have nice interior, quality made... they are not as pompous as MB though, and never will be.
The 5 and up might be nice but no where near the luxury of MB or audi, it's chief competition. They softened up the cars enough this time around, they need to put in better interiors.

I do agree that the "floating screen" as they call, it is jarring and smacks of an afterthought, though. Otherwise i find their interiors to match or usually better the competition. The CLS is no exception.
Old 10-03-14, 01:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The CLS still has the old MB interior design language is what he means. As does the E Class. I prefer the new designs as well. The CLS interior is still nice though, feels a little outdated though in places I agree.

If someone is worried about visibility vs styling the CLS is not a car meant for them. Remember...its a coupe, just with 4 doors. Function takes a backseat to style in something like the CLS. If function is more important to you than style, then buy an E.
Old 10-03-14, 08:01 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The CLS still has the old MB interior design language is what he means. As does the E Class. I prefer the new designs as well. The CLS interior is still nice though, feels a little outdated though in places I agree.

If someone is worried about visibility vs styling the CLS is not a car meant for them. Remember...its a coupe, just with 4 doors. Function takes a backseat to style in something like the CLS. If function is more important to you than style, then buy an E.
For me, I'd rather keep my GS than buy an E Class. That would be at the bottom of my list. I'll take the "form over function" dynamics of something as sharp as the CLS.
Old 10-03-14, 08:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
For me, I'd rather keep my GS than buy an E Class. That would be at the bottom of my list. I'll take the "form over function" dynamics of something as sharp as the CLS.
Absolutely, the E Class to me is a very disappointing car.

As an aside though, seeing the new C and S, I'm very excited to see what the next really redesigned E Will be.
Old 10-04-14, 01:32 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't go wrong with either.

On the other hand, here is another choice that was not mentioned by others in this thread:

Last edited by Blackraven; 10-04-14 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-04-14, 08:02 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

German cars are only nice from the surface and for the first 2 months of ownership.
It's all down hill from there..
Old 10-04-14, 11:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
German cars are only nice from the surface and for the first 2 months of ownership.
wow. just wow.
Old 10-04-14, 11:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 10-04-14, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Hmmmm....................I'm driving an almost 3-year-old German car (Opel Astra) with an American GM drivetrain. It's as solid, and drives virtually as well as the day it was built.
Old 10-04-14, 03:00 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blacksc400
650 gran coupe!
this or a7
Old 10-04-14, 03:03 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

you are so full of it
Old 10-04-14, 03:33 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow. just wow.
I'll add one more wow...
Old 10-04-14, 04:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'll add one more wow...
So will I.

No offense, yowps3....and I'm not trying to offend or insult you personally, so don't take it the wrong way. But I just can't agree with that broad over-generalized statement about German vehicles starting to fall apart after to months. Heck, even Italian cars are better than that nowadays.

(Of course, I know some people also don't agree with some of my own views of the Town Car and DTS)
Old 10-04-14, 04:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So will I.

No offense, yowps3....and I'm not trying to offend or insult you personally, so don't take it the wrong way. But I just can't agree with that broad over-generalized statement about German vehicles starting to fall apart after to months. Heck, even Italian cars are better than that nowadays.

(Of course, I know some people also don't agree with some of my own views of the Town Car and DTS)
That's because your views of those two dinosaurs ARE wrong.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of it! (GS vs CLS)