Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Talk me out of it! (GS vs CLS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-14, 06:16 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should put a poll on this thread... My vote is the CLS with no hesitation whatsoever...
Old 10-02-14, 06:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The only reasons to get a GS over a CLS is price and space. The CLS is a big car with small car room inside. The GS is a medium sized car with medium sized space. If you haven't driven one I would, it feels big...I like that but I know you prefer smaller cars.
Old 10-02-14, 08:02 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

I didn't know this was on the table. I would pick it over the cls. And of course, I would lease.
Attached Thumbnails Talk me out of it! (GS vs CLS)-image.jpg  
Old 10-02-14, 01:55 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kyo7878
IMO CLS looks gorgeous on the outside, but the center dash look terribly dated with that ancient dial pad, way too many buttons.
It is highly functional. All the things you need are a button away.
Old 10-02-14, 02:41 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

What is up with the new trend of just sticking the navigation screen on top of the dash, like its some sort of aftermarket add on. I mean the screen in the new CLS, it looks like somebody mounted an Ipad to the dash of a car that didn't have a navigation screen to start with. Horrible design IMO, especially when you look at how slick of a job they did on the new S-class.

S-class dash

I personally wouldn't buy a new CLS, as IMO it doesn't look nearly as good as the previous model, both inside and out.
Old 10-02-14, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

In my book, a no-brainer. I'd keep the GS.

My view may be in the minority here (wouldn't be the first time)...but I've never been a fan of the CLS. Its humpback-whale roofline looks like something that went halfway through a car-crusher. The tiny, slit, Peek-A-Boo windows make for claustrophobia and poor outward visibility. Reliability, though likely better than the shoddy M-B products of a decade ago, will probably not be in the GS's league. And dealer-service/repairs, at a M-B shop, for anything not offered free or warranty-covered, can cost a fortune.....more so than at most Lexus shops. There's also the question if the state of TX (as here in VA where I live) levies an annual car-tax, based on the vehicle's assessed KBB or NADA value. If so, you'll definitely be paying more car-tax next year on a brand-new CLS than on a two-year-old GS.

I realize, though, that your likes/dislikes may not be the same as mine. If you feel that the CLS and its plusses/minuses is worth what it will take to trade up into one (taking a bath on the steep 1-2 year depreciation loss), then it's your life and money. And the CLS, to its credit, does have some good things going for it.....most notable, in my book, the solid reputation of M-B for safety features.
Old 10-02-14, 04:08 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My view may be in the minority here (wouldn't be the first time)...but I've never been a fan of the CLS. Its humpback-whale roofline looks like something that went halfway through a car-crusher. The tiny, slit, Peek-A-Boo windows make for claustrophobia and poor outward visibility.
I love the way you depict the CLS. I would have just described it as such: If the CLA looks like a squating dachshund taking a dump, then its bigger brother is a squating greyhound, just more elegant and refine.
Old 10-02-14, 08:06 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I will seriously miss my trouble-free, best-all-around GS, but I will have to take a serious look at the '15 CLS with the twin-turbo V6 when it arrives at dealers. Who knows? I may not like it as much as I think. Then I will stay with my GS and wait until the mid-model refresh.

Like some of you suggested, I also like the BMW Gran Coupe. It is drop dead gorgeous, but my sense is the CLS would be more reliable (and affordable). I just haven't warmed up to BMW lately. I know the Gran Coupe is in a totally different league, but I rode in my business associate's 550i the other day and just wasn't impressed at all with the interior. It was black with flat aluminum panels and just looked cheap. I know BMW is more driver-centric but MB still makes classically beautiful interiors. The pop-up iPad in the '15 model isn't great, but it doesn't bother me either. I would rather have it pop up and be controlled by buttons than be plunked in the middle of the console like in the Tesla where everything is touch screen. Just my preference.
Old 10-02-14, 10:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the new cls is very nice, huge step up from the 1st gen.
Old 10-02-14, 10:59 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

I'd take the CLS in a heartbeat over the GS or the 6 in this thread. But I have my heart set on the S Coupe. Waiting for the rumored S Coupe Cabrio. That is going to be THE car.
Old 10-02-14, 11:04 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dseag2
lately. I know the Gran Coupe is in a totally different league, but I rode in my business associate's 550i the other day and just wasn't impressed at all with the interior. It was black with flat aluminum panels and just looked cheap. I know BMW is more driver-centric but MB still makes classically beautiful interiors.
Agree with you about bimmer interiors. Was looking at the X1 this past weekend and the interior is pretty pathetic even compared to the cheaper GLA. All the way up from the X5 to the 7, their interiors have fallen way behind MB, and even audi. Handling might be better but at this price range, I expect better.
Old 10-02-14, 11:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
Agree with you about bimmer interiors. Was looking at the X1 this past weekend and the interior is pretty pathetic even compared to the cheaper GLA. All the way up from the X5 to the 7, their interiors have fallen way behind MB, and even audi. Handling might be better but at this price range, I expect better.
i never felt their interior is close to that of mb at all. they have improved a lot over the years, but still not mb interior
Old 10-03-14, 12:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
Well, CLS interior is decade old design... so not something to be proud of exactly. I cant imagine the outrage if Lexus had that old interiors still. On the other hand, their new interiors are awesome.

As to BMW, it depends what model and what equipment... X1 and 3 series are pretty poor. 5 and up have nice interior, quality made... they are not as pompous as MB though, and never will be.
Old 10-03-14, 01:14 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Don't know if this applies to you, but if you try to stick a baby seat in the CLS, the front passenger seat will need to be moved so far forward that it renders it useless.
Old 10-03-14, 03:58 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Well, CLS interior is decade old design... so not something to be proud of exactly. I cant imagine the outrage if Lexus had that old interiors still. On the other hand, their new interiors are awesome
Not sure what you're talking about here, that interior isn't a decade old...not even half that.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of it! (GS vs CLS)