Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interview: Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 01:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Speaking with Car and Driver at the Los Angeles Auto Show last week, de Nysschen suggested Cadillac could be ready to launch a flagship sports car sometime in the next decade. The halo model would take aim at the Porsche 911 and do for Cadillac what Audi did with the R8, Mercedes is doing with the AMG GT and Acura once did (and is aiming to do again) with the NSX.
IMO, it would be a waste of time, money, and personnel for Cadillac to develop another roadster/sports car. Two classic flops in the past (Allante and XLR) should have showed them that. Far more sensible would be to take those resources and concentrate on something that would fight the Lincoln MKC and upcoming Lexus NV compact-Utes. Then, of course, after that, they also badly need a REAL flagship....not the XTS.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-25-14 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-25-14, 02:30 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO, it would be a waste of time, money, and personnel for Cadillac to develop another roadster/sports car. Two classic flops in the past (Allante and XLR) should have showed them that. Far more sensible would be to take those resources and concentrate on something that would fight the Lincoln MKC and upcoming Lexus NV compact-Utes. Then, of course, after that, they also badly need a REAL flagship....not the XTS.
Cadillac will have a Corvette based mid engine sports car to compete with the R8 and 911.
Old 11-25-14, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Cadillac will have a Corvette based mid engine sports car to compete with the R8 and 911.

Still doesn't change my basic opinion that a compact Cadillac SUV and large flagship both make more sense in the short run than a sports car.
Old 11-25-14, 03:41 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Still doesn't change my basic opinion that a compact Cadillac SUV and large flagship both make more sense in the short run than a sports car.
Flagship will be here before the sports car, my money is on it. You're right on the money regarding a small SUV.
Old 01-13-15, 01:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Cadillac to add small sedan, crossover as part of major product blitz

Cadillac will add a small sedan and a compact crossover to its lineup in the next several years as part of an ambitious product blitz that will remake its lineup.

The sedan will slot below the ATS, which is currently Cadillac's smallest four-door car. It's scheduled to arrive in 2017, Cadillac president Johan de Nysschen told Autoblog at the Detroit Auto Show. The sedan will be followed late that year or in early 2018 by a compact crossover, which will be positioned below the SRX.

The crucial redesign of the SRX – Cadillac's top seller – arrives in 2016. It will switch to the brand's new naming system and change to an "XT" prefix followed by a number. The naming scheme debuts on the CT6, which launches in late 2015 and will be positioned above the CTS and XTS sedans.

Cadillac also wants to add another crossover that sits between the SRX and its flagship SUV, the Escalade, at some point.

Further out, Cadillac's long-awaited Mercedes-Benz S-Class fighter could arrive around 2020, and it would serve as the flagship or "showcase of the brand," de Nysschen said.

Cadillac is also looking to expand its powertrain portfolio and is contemplating a wide range of options, including hybrids, plug-in electric vehicles and diesel engines.

The new cars and crossovers are part of a $12-billion investment in Cadillac, which de Nysschen described as "an unheard level of capital" from General Motors. In total, the brand will receive eight new products through 2020.

"Our product offensive will provide the substance for our ambitions," he said.

De Nysschen has set high goals – and made major changes – at Cadillac since he took over the 113-year-old luxury brand in September. The brand moves to a separate headquarters in New York this year, away from GM's base in Detroit, and it has switched advertising agencies in a bid to elevate its image.

Cadillac's sales declined 6.5 percent in the United States in 2014 to 170,750 units, and it has the smallest volume of GM's four brands.

"Here in the US we continue to make progress, but we also face challenges," de Nysschen said. He added the brand's lineup "clearly limits our growth opportunities in the US market."

Still, de Nysschen is taking the long view for Cadillac, noting it took years to turn around Audi, where he was president of its US operations for eight years. Cadillac sales have inched up five percent globally this year, spurred by a 47-percent surge in China.

"China is the area we can generate the most rapid return on our investment," he said.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/13/c...-detroit-2015/
Old 01-22-15, 05:28 PM
Hoovey689

Default Cadillac president de Nysschen says electrification coming 'across the spectrum'

We like to pick on new Cadillac president Johan de Nysschen for his insistence, many years ago, when he was president of Audi of America, that plug-in vehicles are for idiots. Listening to him give the keynote address at the Washington Auto Show today, you wouldn't know he ever said anything negative about an electric vehicle. Instead, he sounds something like a EV-angelist.

De Nysschen said that Cadillac will be able to benefit from GM's considerable expertise in plug-in technology, which he said would be "applied across the spectrum of our portfolio." GM's electric committment will help in "making electrification commonplace." With the plug-in ELR already on the road, de Nysschen said that the company's next step in advancing powertrains will be the introduction of stop/start technology – which de Nysschen called an "important system to reduce fuel consumption and CO2 emissions" – into a Cadillac for the first time later this year.

Without giving any specific details, de Nysschen said that Cadillac will introduce eight new models (not necessarily plug-ins) by the end of this decade, including five that "will take Cadillac into market segments where the brand is not even present today." These new vehicles will likely be much lighter than today's vehicles, de Nysschen said, because "weight reduction today is critical to automotive design, it helps to improve fuel efficiency and contributes to desireable vehicle dynamics." The key is to reduce weight without compromising safety or comfort and to use the right material – steel, aluminum, carbon fiber – in the right place at the right time. It was a not-so-subtle jab at Ford and its new aluminum F-150.

"In the pursuit of weight reduction, some manufacturers have also opted for abandoning steel and have gone for an all-aluminum approach," he said. "At Cadillac, we believe that different materials each present particular advantages in specific applications. There is no single material that represents the optimum balance of the conflicting objectives of every single application."
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/22/c...ication-plans/
Old 01-24-15, 01:14 PM
Hoovey689

Default Cadillac boss says small SUV 'at least four years away'

Since Johan de Nysschen's takeover as brand president, there's a lot of buzz around Cadillac. Now, the brand's leader is now giving a little more clarity about when we might see some of the company's future vehicles, including its compact crossover.

"Product development life cycles being what they are, I don't have a date in mind but I would estimate it is at least four years away," said de Nysschen about a small Cadillac CUV. The comments were made to Reuters during the Washington Auto Show. The vehicle is part of Cadillac's eight-model, $12 billion reinvention through 2020.

Interestingly, de Nysschen told Autoblog at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show that he estimated the compact luxury CUV to arrive by early 2018. The boss also indicated that Cadillac would get a sedan to slot below the ATS some time in 2017, and the previously spied SRX replacement, possibly called the XT5, would debut in 2016. In the meantime, the company's flagship CT6 is being unveiled at the 2015 New York Auto Show in April.

The wait for a luxury compact CUV makes Cadillac one of the later entries into the segment. The space is already filling with vehicles like the BMW X1, Audi Q3, Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class, Lexus NX and Lincoln MKC. Small crossovers in general seem to still be growing in sales.

While building a better brand in the US, de Nysschen also wants to grow Cadillac in Europe in the future. He told Reuters that he wants diesel vehicles ready for 2019 to appeal to customers there. Some might even be offered in the US.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/24/j...ll-cuv-report/
Old 04-01-15, 12:25 PM
Hoovey689

Default It's going to cost $12 billion to fix Cadillac

The Cadillac CT6's development predates Johan de Nysschen taking over at Cadillac, but the forthcoming flagship is the luxury brand's first major new product launch since the beginning of his tenure. The vehicle's debut also marks the beginning of a comprehensive $12 billion renewal plan bringing eight new vehicles in the next five years. Now, the former Audi and Infiniti exec is talking about joining Caddy and the company's future.

"Cadillac will be a powerhouse global luxury brand that will command the respect of its peers," de Nysschen said about the forecast state of the company in 2020 to Bloomberg. He disclosed that three of those new vehicles under the five-year plan would be crossovers and reiterated that plug-in hybrids are on the way that would take advantage of the Chevrolet Volt's tech advances.

De Nysschen also reminisced about joining Cadillac last year. He told Bloomberg that leaving Infiniti wasn't an easy decision, and there were apparently long conversations on the phone with General Motors President Dan Ammann discussing strategy for the luxury brand. De Nysschen was apparently clear that a greater investment and more autonomy from the corporate mother ship were vital.

These days, the revitalization of Cadillac is just getting rolling. The company has a swanky New York office with a dedicated team to focus on the future. According to de Nysschen, the brand will grow its staff to around 150 people by the end of the year, compared to over 40 now. The marketing plan is to position the American luxury brand as a more distinctive product versus more common German rivals.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/01/c...on-investment/
Old 04-01-15, 12:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow. More great news for Cadillac.
Old 04-02-15, 03:20 PM
fly2low
Driver

Sorry folks. This is MY very opinionated PERSONAL view. I just won't buy a GM car, who left many, especially their pensioners in the dust in the bankruptcy a couple years ago Too many people and their folks that I personally know got affected MUCH by this). They have been a "short-view" company, anyway, although they been trying to make their offerings look "international" by hiring Herr de Nysschen. I don't care how greats their offerings are, I still believe they cut corner here and there (look at those tacky plastic in the hidden places). I now that I surely draw the opposite comments about my view. Just remember it is MY PERSONAL view and that an opinion is like an @$$ hole: everyone has one. Of course, it is a free country and you are free to like the offerings, even buying one or two. Your money, not mine.
And yes I owned some GM cars before, including Geo Metro Convertible (if that counts) 2 GMC Typhoons (the first one was stolen, damit), a C4 Vette, and a gen 4 Camaro.

Peace out.

Last edited by fly2low; 04-02-15 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 03:50 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by fly2low
Sorry folks. This is MY very opinionated PERSONAL view. I just won't buy a GM car, who left many, especially their pensioners in the dust in the bankruptcy a couple years ago Too many people and their folks that I personally know got affected MUCH by this). They have been a "short-view" company, anyway, although they been trying to make their offerings look "international" by hiring Herr de Nysschen. I don't care how greats their offerings are, I still believe they cut corner here and there (look at those tacky plastic in the hidden places). I now that I surely draw the opposite comments about my view. Just remember it is MY PERSONAL view and that an opinion is like an @$$ hole: everyone has one. Of course, it is a free country and you are free to like the offerings, even buying one or two. Your money, not mine.
And yes I owned some GM cars before, including Geo Metro Convertible (if that counts) 2 GMC Typhoons (the first one was stolen, damit), a C4 Vette, and a gen 4 Camaro.

Peace out.
No worries, my own view is that I appreciate the new models and enjoy test driving though my money likely would never purchase one.

To be fair those 'short cut' plastics can be found on BMW and Lexus models too
Old 04-02-15, 03:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

talk is all good... sales are tanking though... where is Nysschen going to go next?
Old 04-02-15, 04:06 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
talk is all good... sales are tanking though... where is Nysschen going to go next?
Any company that 'needs' new nomenclature
Old 04-02-15, 04:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Any company that 'needs' new nomenclature
Lexus LS-1, LS-2, LS-3?

:-)
Old 08-18-15, 01:41 PM
Hoovey689

Default Cadillac 'definitely' bringing diesels to U.S. in several years

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. -- Cadillac will launch diesel-powered models in the U.S. early in the next decade, said the brand's president, Johan de Nysschen.

At a press event here, de Nysschen said Cadillac is working on four- and six-cylinder diesels that are expected to debut first in Europe, in around 2019.

"We will definitely bring them to the U.S.," de Nysschen said.

He did not say which models would be powered by the diesels. Luxury rivals Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche offer diesel on select models.

Cadillac has an unfortunate history with diesels. Several models produced in the late 1970s and early 1980s were offered with the Oldsmobile-sourced 5.7-liter V-8 diesel that suffered quality problems.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...-several-years

Quick Reply: Interview: Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen