Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interview: Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 08:09 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Honestly, many luxury/premium brands have had name/nomenclature changes. Mercedes-Benz in 1993, Audi in 1994, Acura in 1995, Volvo in 1996-97, Land Rover USA from 2004 on select (non-RR) models, and Lincoln similarly in 2006. Only Lexus has been consistent since the LS400 naming in 1988.

I'm more by confused by MB's new changes, more so than Cadillac's and Infiniti's. It's just people just bashing for the sake of bashing, as most of those who even do, are auto enthusiasts that never liked the brand(s) in the first place anyway.

I am more annoyed by his jumping ship so easily, but then again life is too short, to not follow new opportunities. Mr. Ghosn is likely why he left Infiniti. From what I've seen and been told, he's done an excellent job at Infiniti for the upcoming products. Hopefully the same will happen for Cadillac by 2016-17 on his note.

Originally Posted by doge
So what? None of that matters. No one outside of the internet cares about naming, your average car buyer will think about just once.. How did moving headquarters flip the house?

I mean its not like he commissioned some car that was failure. He really didn't do anything right or wrong, 2 years was not enough to change the company.

Those cars that toyota introduced where in the works for 4-6 years beforehand, no one designs a car from start to finish in 2 years especially Toyota.

I love how everyone loves to hammer this guy about infiiniti yet no one mentions about his success with audi.
THANK YOU doge for pointing this out! I may have my own gripes with some of what he does, but NONE of his all-new Infiniti's sign-offs have been unveiled. Heck, the last spy shots of an Infiniti were 2 years ago (Q50). Infiniti (like Lexus) has a massive product onslaught coming in 2015-16. I've list plenty of examples in other threads, regarding those model by model he mostly oversaw development of.

The 2015 QX80 and 2015 Q70 were among the first of anything he truly touched at Infiniti. The V37 Q50, MAYYY have been renamed by him, but that was already being developed for production, 13 months before he arrived at Infiniti in July 2012. The V37 programme began in 2007, so any of that was not on him.
Old 10-15-14, 11:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Honestly, many luxury/premium brands have had name/nomenclature changes. Mercedes-Benz in 1993, Audi in 1994, Acura in 1995, Volvo in 1996-97, Land Rover USA from 2004 on select (non-RR) models, and Lincoln similarly in 2006. Only Lexus has been consistent since the LS400 naming in 1988.
Well stated

As long as Cadillac continues to offer strong products like the new ATS and CTS, they should be fine. V/VSport is catching on, Flagship sedan and coupe on the way and a revised SRX should help increase brand awareness and market penetration.
Old 10-16-14, 04:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Your giving the average buyer too much credit and the Cadillac name too much credit. What you said holds true to established names, civic, s550, f150, corolla etc.. The only Cadillac people know is the Escalade, There isn't much name recognition or brand loyalty going on at Cadillac so there isn't much to loose.
The CTS name has been around for 10 years, and had built credibility. ATS is doing the same thing now.
Old 10-16-14, 04:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

"Those romantic names have little relevance to a millennial premium shopper in China, for instance, where the reality is that alphanumeric nomenclature is a deeply entrenched industrywide practice," de Nysschen wrote. "The obvious emotional appeal of historical subbrand names such as Eldorado, Fleetwood, etc. should be balanced against the fact that those names resonate more with baby boomers and are U.S.-centric. Cadillac must go global."
I agree with him on names like Fleetwood and and ElDorado. First, the visions those cars invoke is just as likely, if not more so, to be poorly made boats from the 70s, 80s and 90s. And Cadillac is trying to move away from the aging buyer that may romanticize those names. Second, every other lux automaker uses some type of alphanumeric name.

But they have an alpha naming structure (as did Infiniti before they changed it), except for the Escalade.
Old 10-16-14, 05:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

True, but:

-MB just moved the letter to the front instead of the end
-Audi's street cred was poor in the early 90s, and had confusing names then: 80/90 and 100/200
-Acura adopted alpha numeric names because more customers knew the name Legend than Acura
-Volvo--well, who knows why they do what they do, and they were owned by Ford then; plus, as long as they keep making really safe cars, they can name them anything they want
-Land Rover moved to alpha numerics; they also swapped the names Land Rover and Range Rover for make and model. Not confusing at all...
-Lincoln--no comment....

Last edited by tex2670; 10-16-14 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-16-14, 06:07 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It's worth noting Land Rover is one of the few automakers to switch AWAY from alphanumerics...the LR4 and LR2 are going to be the Discovery and Discovery Sport. LR also has some of the longest names (i.e. Land Rover Range Rover Autobiography)
Old 10-16-14, 09:09 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by TangoRed
It's worth noting Land Rover is one of the few automakers to switch AWAY from alphanumerics...the LR4 and LR2 are going to be the Discovery and Discovery Sport. LR also has some of the longest names (i.e. Land Rover Range Rover Autobiography)
Is it confirmed that the LR4 will in fact be renamed Discovery like the rest of the world and not continue the LR4 or move up to the LR5 moniker Stateside?
Old 10-17-14, 01:20 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Well stated

As long as Cadillac continues to offer strong products like the new ATS and CTS, they should be fine. V/VSport is catching on, Flagship sedan and coupe on the way and a revised SRX should help increase brand awareness and market penetration.

Thank you. I now have concerns about this "CT6", since that I'm recently hearing about a CT8/9. Are they truly going to deliver something great (flagship-wise), or something that sits between a 5-Series and 7-Series like the K900? If so, goodness! I hope for their sake that isn't the case here! Possibly CT8 is intended to be a Flying Spur competitor.

Originally Posted by tex2670
True, but:

-MB just moved the letter to the front instead of the end
-Audi's street cred was poor in the early 90s, and had confusing names then: 80/90 and 100/200
-Acura adopted alpha numeric names because more customers knew the name Legend than Acura
-Volvo--well, who knows why they do what they do, and they were owned by Ford then; plus, as long as they keep making really safe cars, they can name them anything they want
-Land Rover moved to alpha numerics; they also swapped the names Land Rover and Range Rover for make and model. Not confusing at all...
-Lincoln--no comment....
Thank you, I'm also aware of all of what happened with Audi and Acura. Everyone can thank Susan Jacobs for Acura's name changes, as she was their consultant that suggested it in 1994. MB still confused some people from what I heard in 1993-1996, especially with S-Class variants. On paper, some W140 variants can be confusing, like with the W222/C217, if the variant(saloon/coupe) isn't specified. It works out much better of course than the original format.

If I can correct myself, it was actually 1995 when Volvo made that decision, before the S40 Frankfurt première in September 1995. Trademarks were filed throughout 1996-97, as facelifts and redesigns arrived (1996-1998). Ford actually bought Volvo Cars in January 1999. They had no involvement in that renaming plan. Your assertion for Land Rover only applies to US/Canadian markets, as we never moved to alphanumerics.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Is it confirmed that the LR4 will in fact be renamed Discovery like the rest of the world and not continue the LR4 or move up to the LR5 moniker Stateside?
No, it's tentative.
Old 10-17-14, 04:50 PM
Hoovey689

Thank you. I now have concerns about this "CT6", since that I'm recently hearing about a CT8/9. Are they truly going to deliver something great (flagship-wise), or something that sits between a 5-Series and 7-Series like the K900? If so, goodness! I hope for their sake that isn't the case here! Possibly CT8 is intended to be a Flying Spur competitor.
Speculation of course, but IMHO CT6 is the 'CTS' and CT8/CT9 would be the flagship sedan/coupe. Granted I have no idea what the XTS would be. Only time will tell when the first CT6 comes to fruition will we know it's size and placement in the Cadillac stable
Old 10-19-14, 11:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

MB still confused some people from what I heard in 1993-1996, especially with S-Class variants. On paper, some W140 variants can be confusing, like with the W222/C217, if the variant(saloon/coupe) isn't specified. It works out much better of course than the original format.
You want confusing: remember the MB 190E 2.3-16? I like C300 better.
Old 10-20-14, 01:52 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you’re a mainstream brand, then you’ve got to have very stringent criteria for the financial performance of each individual product. In the high-volume business, margins are razor-thin. If you don’t manage your project before the process of conception, you’ll lose your pants. For Cadillac, some cars have to make volume for us, some cars have to make money, and some cars have to make image. And sometimes you are fortunate enough that one car does all of those. But if you were to apply these very stringent financial criteria to individual projects you’ll probably never do the halo cars. The way to measure it properly is to say, “Well, how did they help the pricing power on the rest of the cars?”—that’s their contribution.
I've said this time and again when people protest over cars that, individually, lose money. It's always missing the forest for the trees. Johan understands portfolio management. The question is, does he understand brand management? It seems like he is on the right track by dropping the old names. No one under 40 cares about these names. No one outside of America, cares about these names. People who care about these names are nearing the end of their working career, and are looking at buying a boat or a nice retirement property more than they are looking at buying a new Cadillac. The enthusiasts aren't buying a CTS or an XTS, that's for certain; they buy a Porsche.

There's still much work to do to capture the younger market. Cadillac is doing a terrible job right now, and it's going to crush them in 10 years if they don't catch up to the demographic capture by the CLA, 320i, & A3.
Old 11-21-14, 05:48 PM
Hoovey689

Default Cadillac boss envisions $250,000 flagship car - in 2029

(Reuters) - Cadillac's new boss believes General Motors' premium brand could eventually sell ultra-luxury cars that retail for a quarter-million dollars by 2029.

"It is too early today for a $250,000 Cadillac," said Johann de Nysschen, in an interview on Wednesday at the annual auto show here. "Fifteen years from now, it won't be."

Cadillac's current flagship car, the XTS sedan, tops out at around $70,000 which is tens of thousands of dollars less than the range-topping models of such German competitors as BMW and Daimler AG's Mercedes-Benz.

De Nysschen, a former import executive who was named Cadillac president in August, is overseeing a product blitz that will cost GM an estimated $2.5 billion over the next six years, he told Reuters.

As part of that brand overhaul, Cadillac is readying the launch next year of a new high-end sedan, the CT-6, followed by an even larger, more expensive model by 2020.

De Nysschen hinted the CT-6 will be priced "in the 70s," or just above the XTS.

He also said Cadillac is looking at a smaller model positioned below the ATS, one that might compete with the Mercedes-Benz CLA.

"We quite clearly have in the passenger car line an opportunity below where ATS is positioned today," de Nysschen said. "There is a whole new category for compact premium sedans."

Cadillac may also get more crossover models to supplement the SRX, he said.

"The Germans have so many you can't keep track. An obvious, obvious shortcoming in our lineup."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0J32KL20141119
Old 11-21-14, 06:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Cadillac may also get more crossover models to supplement the SRX, he said.
One piece of advice, Mr. de Nysschen: Get to work on something that will compete with the Lincoln MKC and the upcoming Lexus NX.
Old 11-22-14, 11:37 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

That is totally the thing that customers have been waiting for to bring them flocking back to Cadillac.
Old 11-24-14, 10:55 PM
Hoovey689

Default Cadillac's de Nysschen takes aim at Porsche 911, Cayenne

Johan de Nysschen has big plans for Cadillac. He's moved the brand from Detroit to New York, revamped its model nomenclature, and planning a raft of new models for the near future – including a $250,000 luxury sedan to take on the likes of Rolls-Royce and Bentley. But the veteran executive of luxury automakers has some more performance-oriented machinery in mind, too.

Speaking with Car and Driver at the Los Angeles Auto Show last week, de Nysschen suggested Cadillac could be ready to launch a flagship sports car sometime in the next decade. The halo model would take aim at the Porsche 911 and do for Cadillac what Audi did with the R8, Mercedes is doing with the AMG GT and Acura once did (and is aiming to do again) with the NSX.

Just what form it would take remains a big unknown, but de Nysschen indicated that the brand would need to be built up further before the sports car would be launched, lest it emerge too detached from Cadillac's image. The last time Cadillac delved into that territory was with the Corvette-based XLR, of which it sold only 15,000 or so examples – far below initial targets.

The 911 rival isn't the only performance model de Nysschen has in mind, however. He plans to further expand the V series into a more substantial sub-brand to include a crossover to take on the likes of the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, BMW X5 M and all those many AMG-tuned Mercedes utilities.

The idea of an entry-level model to slot in below the ATS was mooted as well. A range of diesel engines are slated to help Cadillac break into overseas markets in similar fashion to how Maserati has expanded its market reach with oil-burning versions of the Ghibli and Quattroporte. And we wouldn't be surprised to see Cadillac get in on a new flagship SUV being launched by Opel in Europe, either.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/24/c...rivals-report/

Quick Reply: Interview: Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen