Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The most ticketed car in America is…

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-14, 12:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wait no Mustang or BMW's?? hah
it's counted only if the cops are able to stop the cars for tickets
Old 10-01-14, 01:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
You know how I know the list is baloney?

Because there is no Honda.
This. Bro's love tearing around in their 15-20 year old Civics, Integras, etc pretending they are fast. Insurance was actually more on a same year Civic Si than it was for my Z28 Camaro back about 8-10 years ago if you can believe that. Despite the Camaro having 200 more horsepower.

Maybe the ricer thing has died down a bit since I first got my license back in 2000 though.
Old 10-01-14, 02:38 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

#20 is probably because people in Prius's drive like dicks. They drive like they own the road because they think they are saving the economy.

And I only say this because my GF drives a Prius and I think she drives like a HUGE *******! No patience for anything/anyone on the road. I rather spend the extra money in gas and drive my self than to drive with a Prius owner

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Most surprising to me is #7, Mercury Topaz. Maybe I'm not seeing them because they're all in police impound yards, but didn't they stop making them 20 years ago? I haven't seen one in 10 years I'd guess.
Everytime I see one it has a headlight or a tail light out so thats probably why. Massive amounts of electrical issues. Maybe even because it broke down in a Do Not Park zone and the person cant start it to move it so massive amounts or parking tickets

Last edited by NYKnick101; 10-01-14 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 02:45 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Entered my car on the link Dave posted. My Fusion is #59.

I got stopped a lot in my Firebird, but never ticketed. Stopped once in my Lexus, no ticket(but some awesome chitchat about guns).
Old 10-01-14, 02:53 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by that2JZguy
Had my Supra over seven years now. Been pulled over 10+ times for speeding, no front plate, loud exhaust. Never ticketed once.
Lucky you, I get a ticket every time
Old 10-01-14, 04:03 PM
balMaster
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their methodology isn't quite scientific, you had to be interested in shopping in your insurance at insurance.com to be in the results. Makes for interesting conversation though.
And I'm guessing that some of them were shopping for a cheaper insurance because their current insurance premium went up after getting a ticket.

Also, they did this by driver, not by car.
If you have a Corolla for your daily driver and a Supra for weekend toy.
You get ticket while driving the Corolla.
Then Corolla percentage would go up by 0.00000001% and Supra one would go up by 5% (because it's much rarer)..., even when Supra didn't even get the ticket. (#s are just an example)
Old 10-01-14, 04:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Definitely not "Most in America" but more of a regional stat from a regional insurance company based on only 557k customers, and most of those customers drive a model listed in the charts.
yeah, not exactly a comprehensive study.

Their methodology isn't quite scientific, you had to be interested in shopping in your insurance at insurance.com to be in the results.
yeah, the stats, while interesting, are irrelevant.
Old 10-01-14, 05:02 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

explains my insurance rates, i guess

Old 10-02-14, 05:16 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
and NO bmw whatsoever???
Going on 15 years driving a 3-series, above the speed limit approximately 98% of the time that traffic doesn't prevent it. Never been pulled over, much less ticketed. My friends used to joke that it was because I drive "the rich white man's car", which would be funny if it wasn't kind of sad. Being indistinct colors (currently white, previously silver) probably helps as well.
Old 09-07-16, 04:19 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Updated for 2016

A pricey and older sedan has won a dubious distinction: The Lexus ES 300 is the vehicle that garners the most tickets in the U.S., according to an online insurance-quote aggregator.

Sure, drivers get tickets, not cars, but if a specific model rakes up too many moving violations nationwide, it could become more expensive to insure.

Insurance.com of Foster City, Calif., collected the data as people shopped for car-insurance quotes on the site. It used more than 300,000 submissions between January 2014 and February of this year to rank vehicles by the percentage of drivers who received tickets.

The Lexus ES 300 tops the list with 33% of its drivers getting tickets in that time period. Compare that with the least ticketed car, the Buick Encore, which saw only 3% of its drivers get tickets.

Toyota Motor Corp.’s 7203, -0.82% Lexus division made the Lexus ES 300 between 1992 and 2003, according to Edmunds.com. In its heyday, the car was a relatively affordable, entry-level luxury sedan thought to be reliable and easy to maintain, it said.

The car attracting the second most tickets? The Nissan 350Z, a sporty two-seater sold by Nissan Motor Co. 7201, -0.95% until 2009. Third on the most-ticketed list was also a sports car (the Dodge Charger SE/SXT FCAU, +1.91% ), which made sense to the team at Insurance.com.

That an older Lexus was at the top was a surprise, though, said Les Masterson, a managing editor at Insurance.com. A luxury sedan is usually thought of as a car geared to older drivers with deeper pockets, who would tend to be more cautious. The team has theorized that perhaps the Lexus ES 300, now being sold used, is reaching younger drivers, perhaps even going from parents to offspring with less driving experience.

Insurance gets more expensive after a moving violation, usually as the ticket wipes out good-driving-record discounts that can lower premiums by as much as 25%, depending on specific circumstances and insurance companies, said Masterson. Rates also increase after such tickets, he said. A nick due to a moving violation can remain relevant for insurance purposes for as many as five years.

To work out its rankings, Insurance.com left out vehicles that garnered too few quotes, to make sure the ranking drew from large enough pools — to rule out, for instance, that the proverbial lead foot driving a rare Maserati is skewing results.

A “high number of tickets is not an indicator that a new car will be expensive to insure,” as insurance companies care more about claims, the company says on its website. But if “a particular model is involved in more accidents or is more expensive to repair after a collision, an owner can expect to pay higher rates even if his own record is clean,” although a driver’s driving record is likely to have a greater impact on insurance rates, it says.

“Anything that puts you into a high-risk driver category — a lapse in insurance, bad credit, multiple claims or multiple speeding tickets — will have a more dramatic effect than, say, choosing a Camry over a Corvette. High-risk auto insurance is more expensive than standard and preferred,” it says.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the...ica-2016-08-10

Last edited by bagwell; 09-07-16 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 05:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The Lexus ES 300 tops the list with 33% of its drivers getting tickets in that time period. Compare that with the least ticketed car, the Buick Encore, which saw only 3% of its drivers get tickets.

Toyota Motor Corp.’s 7203, -0.82% Lexus division made the Lexus ES 300 between 1992 and 2003, according to Edmunds.com. In its heyday, the car was a relatively affordable, entry-level luxury sedan thought to be reliable and easy to maintain, it said.
ES300 or ES300h? Maybe they meant ES350. The article seems to be confused. The picture shows a 2016 ES (350).

Do your homework before you publish something like this @marketwatch.com
Old 09-07-16, 06:06 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
ES300 or ES300h? Maybe they meant ES350. The article seems to be confused. The picture shows a 2016 ES (350).

Do your homework before you publish something like this @marketwatch.com
yep, picture is wrong.....

Toyota Motor Corp.’s Lexus division made the Lexus ES 300 between 1992 and 2003, according to Edmunds.com. In its heyday, the car was a relatively affordable, entry-level luxury sedan thought to be reliable and easy to maintain, it said.