Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Honda CR-V: New Engine, CVT For Higher Gas Mileage, New Features, Mild Restyle

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-14, 06:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
wow.... 32-33,000 for a CRV???
l'd buy one for a grand or two discount with all that tech.
A '13 CRV with Nav I bought listed for $32K.
I did get around $3k off though.
Old 10-01-14, 06:50 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impressive gains in MPG
Old 10-01-14, 07:41 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Excellent package and improvements for 2015. I'd certainly put this on top of my shopping list if I were in the market.
Interestingly, yet again we see a shift in the timing of facelifts vs. redesigns. Add Honda to the list of companies sneaking in a major change in the middle of a model's life. Customer wins, but this has got to be costing manufacturers a fortune.
Originally Posted by bagwell
it doesn't HAVE to cost manufacturers a fortune....take the dash...all the attach points are there already in a CAD program...as long as you keep the attach points the same, the overall look of the dash can be easily modified and then just go from there....same with bumpers, grill, etc...
Yes, it may cost the manufacturers a lot to perform a major minor model change (how Honda described the changes on the CR-V) but I have no doubt that they will make it back. Taking the Honda CR-V and the Toyota Camry as examples, those are the best-selling models in their segments are a major money-makers for Honda and Toyota; there is no doubt that the investments will be repaid.

But Toyota and Honda also know how to make these changes while minimizing costs. The CR-V's changes are relatively minor compared to the Camry's -- the front end was changed, some chrome was added to the tailgate, the engine was changed and improvements made to the cabin:
  1. The front end (bumper cover, grill, lights) is a bolt-on part so it is easy (and cheap) to change as long as the attachment points to the structure remain the same.
  2. Chrome added to the tailgate is just glued-on plastic so, again, it is easy and cheap to change.
  3. The engine was changed to the Earth Dreams engine but, again, as long as attachment points to the frame remain the same, it is easy and cheap (and, if I am correct, the changes between the Earth Dreams direct-injected 2.4-litre engine and the "old" 2.4L engine are very minor).
  4. The materials in the cabin may have changed, but the big piece -- the dashboard -- remains the same shape. The soft-touch materials merely cover the hard, greasy bits so, again, is easy and cheap to change.
The Camry's changes are much more extensive -- all body panels, with the exception of the roof, changed. But the weight-bearing structure underneath did not change. The dashboard covering materials did change but the shape, attachment points and greasy parts (HVAC ducts, etc.) did not change. All of the changes are relatively easy (and relatively cheap). They added that fake window in the C-pillar behind the rear door but it is merely stuck-on plastic because they could not change the weight-bearing structure of the size and shape of the C-pillar without major effort and cost.

There are also rumours that this Camry major minor model change will remain around for 3 years instead of the usual 2 years for a usual minor model change (stretching this model to 6 years from the usual 5); the extra year on the market will help pay for the changes.
Old 10-01-14, 05:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default British Honda CR-V looks tough, gets diesel and 9-speed auto

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/honda...photo-2983970/

Honda (UK) reveals new-look Swindon-built CR-V at Paris Motor Show 2014

New-look Swindon-built CR-V gets more-powerful 1.6 litre i-DTEC diesel engine generating 160 PS and 350 Nm

New nine-speed automatic transmission with reduced emissions and improved fuel economy

Honda (UK) will this week use the Paris Motor Show to reveal its new-look CR-V. The exterior receives a whole new look with new headlamps, front grille, fog lights, skid-plate and bumper; whilst at the rear, new LED combination lamps, a refreshed tailgate design and bumper complete the enhancements.

The new-look model of the CR-V, the world's best selling SUV in the first quarter of 2014*, is to be offered with a more powerful diesel engine as well as an optional efficient nine-speed automatic transmission.

The four-wheel drive CR-V will be equipped with the higher-powered 1.6-litre i-DTEC four-cylinder diesel engine from Honda's Earth Dreams Technology series. This next-generation powertrain delivers outstanding performance and low CO2 emissions, with one of the best power-to-efficiency ratios on the market. This new engine replaces the previous 2.2 litre i-DTEC diesel in the CR-V.

When matched with the six-speed manual transmission the new higher-powered diesel engine produces 160 PS and 350 Nm, while emitting a class-leading sub 130 g/km of CO2 - an 11% improvement compared to the previous unit. To help CR-V owners fully exploit the latest engine's efficiency, the new model is also available with a new nine-speed automatic transmission, with CO2 emissions of less than 135 g/km - 20% better than its predecessor.

The two-wheel drive diesel CR-V, available with a manual transmission, will continue to be equipped with the 120 PS 1.6 litre i-DTEC diesel engine, now with emissions as low as 117 g/km.

The new-look CR-V has been developed and engineered for European drivers. The car will be built at Honda's state-of-the-art plant in Swindon, UK. To see the new-look CR-V please visit the Honda Stand in Hall 3, at the Paris Motor Show 2014. Honda's press conference takes place on the stand at 16.45 CET on Thursday 2 October.
Old 01-21-15, 06:33 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Honda Details Euro-Spec CR-V, 4WD Diesel Model Averages 4.9 L/100 KM [33 Photos]

Click here to view more photos

Honda has released full details and new photos of the European-spec CR-V SUV which goes on sale this spring. The refreshed model gets mild design updates, a new diesel engine and optional 9-speed automatic transmission, new safety and connectivity systems, as well as an enhanced suspension.

The main highlight of the Honda CR-V facelift is the new 1.6-liter i-DTEC four-cylinder turbodiesel engine that produces 160PS (158hp) and 350Nm (258lb-ft) of torque, offered with an optional 9-speed automatic transmission that helps reduce fuel consumption compared to the previous 5-speed auto.

Replacing the 2.2-litre i-DTEC diesel unit, the new Euro 6-compliant engine is said to deliver “the best power-to-consumption ratio available in its segment,” a bold claim that’s supported by the official fuel economy figures. With the standard six-speed manual and four-wheel drive, the 160PS diesel averages 4.9 l/100km (48 mpg US), with CO2 emissions of 129 g/km.

The 1.6-liter diesel unit is also offered in a lower state of tune producing 120PS (118hp), which averages 4.4 l/100 km (53.4 mpg) with the six-speed manual transmission and 2WD. Honda expects diesel engines to account for more than 60 percent of European sales.

Honda also offers a 2.0-liter i-VTEC petrol engine that produces 155PS (153hp) and averages 7.2 l/100 km (32.6 mpg US) with the six-speed manual gearbox and 2WD.

The automaker says the revised CR-V delivers better ride and handling thanks to new front suspension bushes, dampers and lower-arm knuckle geometry. Additionally, the front and rear track have been increased by 15 mm, and camber angle is up by half a degree to further aid stability. Honda also improved the steering ratio by 8 percent to offer a more responsive drive and made the cabin 6 percent quieter by implementing a number of NVH management measures.

The 2015 CR-V also gets the all-new Honda Connect in-car audio and information system. Offering convenience and connectivity while on the road, the system’s key features include DAB / FM / AM and internet radio, Bluetooth connectivity, internet browsing, satellite navigation and rear-view parking camera.

Finally, the facelifted CR-V also premieres Honda’s new Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control (i-ACC) system that is capable of predicting and automatically reacting to other vehicles ‘cutting-in’ to the vehicle’s lane.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/hon...wd-diesel.html
Old 01-21-15, 06:35 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a few of the new CR V's on the road and I just don't know why Honda can't design a better looking car.
Old 01-21-15, 08:46 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I've seen a few of the new CR V's on the road and I just don't know why Honda can't design a better looking car.
But even as is, the CR-V is one of the best selling in the segment. There isn't a lot of style in the compact crossover set. They all generally have the same windswept front end and overall silhouette. The CX-5 has a bit more "design" to it, but not by much. In this segment functionality seems to rule the day, so they need to have good cargo capacity and ability to slap in a couple car seats in the rear row and good fuel economy, which the updated powertrain in the CR-V also provides.

I think the updates to the CR-V are nice for its refresh/facelift. Alloys on the new Touring trim are surprisingly well styled in my opinion.