Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2015 Toyota Sienna

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 04:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2015 Toyota Sienna

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-2954156/

Engine: 3.5L V6
Power: 266 HP / 235 LB-FT
Transmission: 6-Speed Auto
0-60 Time: 8.2 Seconds (est)
Drivetrain: Front-Wheel Drive
Engine Placement: Front
Curb Weight: 4,560 LBS
Seating: 2+3+3
Cargo: 150 CU-FT (max)
MPG: 18 City / 25 HWY
Warranty: 3 Years / 36,000 Miles
Base Price: $28,600
As-Tested Price: $35,785

It's hard to love a minivan, but it's very, very easy to use one. More than any other kind of vehicle – save a panel van, perhaps – the minivan is the most appliance-like of four-wheeled transportation devices. And most minivan buyers don't need to love their purchases; they just need to use them. So when it comes to a minivan's driving dynamics, who cares?

Well, we do. So we perked right up when Toyota talked about refinements it made to the 2015 Sienna, starting with some 142 added spot welds made to the body structure. Normally not stop-the-presses stuff, but Toyota says the added reinforcements prompted Sienna engineers to recalibrate the springs and shocks for improved handling, and our very limited wheel time along the (admittedly benign) roads on the Big Island of Hawaii revealed the 2015 Sienna SE model's handling to be tidier and more engaging than you'd expect for a porky, 4,560-pound, eight-passenger box on wheels.

Driving Notes
  • Styling has been updated for 2015 in the most minor of ways. Headlights and taillamps are new on most models, as are revised grille inserts for LE, XLE and Limited grades. SE and Limited trims get long, skinny LED running lamps underscoring the headlamp bezels. The Sienna still looks portly compared to the Chrysler Town & Country and the elegant new Sedona from Kia, especially in the Sienna's SE "Swagger Wagon" trim. But give Toyota credit for at least trying to style its four-wheeled appliance.
  • A reconfigured (and far more attractive) dashboard brings climate controls closer to the driver and incorporates standard touchscreen infotainment technology, while Limited models get a swanky new saddle-color leather treatment. More soft touch materials and satin chrome accents have found their way inside, upping the scale of the fitments appreciably. Other than that, however, there's not much that makes the Sienna special.
  • Seating position is darn near perfect, with excellent outward sight lines. The relocated shifter looks and feels better than previous years, and the new climate controls (now with rear temperature settings that can sync with either front passenger) are no longer the reach they used to be.
  • Thrust from the 266-horsepower, 3.5-liter V6 is ho-hum, even with just two adults aboard. Then again, no minivan makes much more or much less power than this, so as long as drivers aren't the perpetually late type, they should find Sienna's output perfectly acceptable. We wish, however, that it made less of a fuss at high revs – it's a bit gruff.
  • Brakes are surprisingly linear, responsive and even offer feel. Steering is well-weighted and 19-inch rolling stock offers decent grip.
  • Added structural stiffening and sound insulation has created a remarkably quiet environment, even in the lower SE model. It's quiet enough to hear your children's scheming thoughts, which you may choose to quash using the new Driver Easy Speak microphone.
  • Second-row outboard seats are comfortable, center position in eight-passenger configuration is tight.
  • Backup camera lacks predictive trajectory graphics, as do many such systems in the industry.
  • Pricing for the 2015 Sienna starts at $28,600 for a front-drive L and rises all the way to the Limited Premium all-wheel-drive model, which commands a heady $46,150 before options. A FWD SE like our test car bases at $34,900 (all prices are subject to a destination fee of $885). All of this means the Sienna is on the expensive side of the minivan ledger, but not out of line with key rivals like the Honda Odyssey.

As we said before, folks seldom shop for minivans – especially Toyota minivans – in search of something special. They merely want something functional. And they will find a whole lot of function – and a decent driving SE model – in the 2015 Sienna.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/25/2...ew-quick-spin/
Old 09-25-14, 10:14 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the post. Well, after much sadness we sold our 2006 Sienna with 337k on it yesterday for $4500. From post to sale it only took 3 hrs. Admittedly that phone call/offer was at 10pm(with a ton of low ballers) but the lady came the next morning and was true.
That van was SUPERB in so many ways. My newborn daughter was picked up from the hospital in this. *sniff*.Anyway, *sniiiiiiif* from the strong engine to the soft touch materials throughout the only beating the van took was the carpets. The seats were almost new looking. So whatever materials Toyota used in the seats are nearly indestructible.
These are the kind of stories Toyota's legacies are built upon. Aside from the transmission/clutch needing to be changed at 330k as any auto would this was one ultra reliable van. ASA side note to which I had NO clue was when I went to go look on Carfax it had seven pages of service records. From where? Well the first two years was the dealership taking basic maintenance while the rest was Midas. Yes, Midas! I didn't know that they were connected to Carfax. EVERY service I had there was imputed and Carfax picked it up. A pleasant surprise. Not a scheduled maintenance missed. Oil changes, water pump, spark lugs etc. Guess where the RX is going for oil changes?

Excuse me while I have something in my eye. *sniff*..
Old 09-25-14, 11:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

we have a 2013 Limited and WE LOVE IT !!! I drive it on the weekends and it really is an all around excellent vehicle. Roomy, comfortable, safe, and packed with all the same tech and luxury features you get in a Lexus ( even a wood steering wheel ) and 2 sliding sun roofs. After owning this Sienna I dont see us ever getting an SUV.
Old 09-26-14, 01:15 AM
Hoovey689

Great story rxonmymind. Sounds like the Sienna served your family well.
Old 09-26-14, 12:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

looking at the black trim (in particular lower left in this pic), see how it's already scuffed, marked or discolored? this is what i saw in a BRAND NEW highlander with black interior also.

Old 09-26-14, 01:05 PM
Hoovey689

I don't know if its the angle but I'd be more worried about the E-Brake which looks crooked
Old 09-26-14, 02:05 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Exactly my thought, making the interior looks dirty. :/
Old 09-26-14, 02:50 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Exactly my thought, making the interior looks dirty. :/
Alternatives are Tan or Gray but the lighter it gets the more easily susceptible to stains, dirt, jean transfer etc.. Seems you're damned if you do and damned if you don't
Old 09-26-14, 03:06 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Great story rxonmymind. Sounds like the Sienna served your family well.
It did Hoovey. I'm rather proud of it's service and reliability. Seeing that all there kids are grown and leaving the nest except our youngest we no longer needed it. I believe in being proactive in getting basic maintenance done before they become a problem thus we were just about to change the water pump/belts/hoses as this was done at 200k. Downsizing has never been so fun! Rx350!! Yeah!

Last edited by rxonmymind; 09-26-14 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-26-14, 03:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

it looks as any black color interior does if you dont care about it... lil wash and its fine... much better than light color ones since they will show stains from anything darker than it... nothing darker than black tho!
Old 09-28-14, 12:51 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New Toyota interior materials are pretty bad. My 2013 Tundra and 2012 Yaris interior gets scuffed and scratches so easily.
Old 09-28-14, 01:17 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Not all black interior is bad, my 7 interior doesn't even show one single scratch after 1 and half year with 13000 miles. And it always look clean and I only had it detailed 2 times.
Old 09-29-14, 12:20 AM
hmcwlbalan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it looks as any black color interior does if you dont care about it
Old 09-29-14, 07:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
New Toyota interior materials are pretty bad. My 2013 Tundra and 2012 Yaris interior gets scuffed and scratches so easily.
Agreed. I've seen plastics and ***** even in the new Avalon (Toyota's sort expensive American-market sedan) that felt like they would break off right in your hands....although, in fairness, the latest Camrys seem to have more solid interiors than their predecessors. The 2006-2011 models were, IMO, especially disappointing.

One good thing about the Sienna, though (and, IMO, a major selling point).........it is still the only minivan still in the American market with an AWD option.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-29-14 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-29-14, 07:29 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hmcwlbalan
it looks as any black color interior does if you dont care about it
Agree. To me, that actually looks a lot more like dirt/dust, probably from this being a test vehicle used nonstop for a few days.

Quick Reply: Quick Spin: 2015 Toyota Sienna