Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive / Quick Spin: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado / 2015 GMC Canyon

Old 02-19-15, 01:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
We're getting off-topic, but I like that you think Ford has given little thought to how the aluminum panels will hold up to truck usage cycles.

Obviously this is a marketing video, but some interesting data points:
Yes, I'm sure the engineers did some tests......I wasn't suggesting otherwise. And many of today's metal and metallic alloys are computer-tested even before they actually undergo physical tests on or off the vehicle itself. But, even so, in the auto industry, attempts at new technology sometimes have a way of having unforeseen (or more so than intended) consequences a few years down the road.

Lighter weight allows for thicker gauge materials.
Depends on how much weight they want to save. If they make the aluminum too thick, even at its inherently lighter weight, there go your weight savings. But, given that the average new F-150 weighs over 700 lbs. less than its comparable predecessor, they must have found a happy balance there (no pun intended)

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-19-15 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 01:49 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Drab and dreary, such as the colours, buttons, door panel design and the overall feel of the interior environment.
I don't know how much excitement you expect to find in car interiors these days, especially for a truck.

2016 Tacoma isn't particularly engaging on your points either.

Darker interiors are commonplace in the industry as they show less scuffs/dirt/wear, which can negatively impact initial quality survey scores. This is why even light color interiors today are often still paired with black carpet and floor mats.

GM has moved the needle forward on their interiors in terms of the overall build quality, as well as modern elements such as the MID in the gauge cluster, nice available larger touch screen, they even go as far as to eliminate switch blanks along those toggle buttons with several different sets to install depending on the grade and options. I think that's a pretty high level of detail that you wouldn't have seen in GM products of the past.
Old 02-19-15, 01:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I don't know how much excitement you expect to find in car interiors these days, especially for a truck.

2016 Tacoma isn't particularly engaging on your points either.

Darker interiors are commonplace in the industry as they show less scuffs/dirt/wear, which can negatively impact initial quality survey scores. This is why even light color interiors today are often still paired with black carpet and floor mats.

GM has moved the needle forward on their interiors in terms of the overall build quality, as well as modern elements such as the MID in the gauge cluster, nice available larger touch screen, they even go as far as to eliminate switch blanks along those toggle buttons with several different sets to install depending on the grade and options. I think that's a pretty high level of detail that you wouldn't have seen in GM products of the past.
Why don't you post the same PIC for the GM truck from the same angle so others can decide
Old 02-19-15, 02:06 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 02-19-15, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Here's the new Canyon's two-tone interior from the same angle (though the lighting isn't particularly good). It is somewhat more plusher-looking than the Colorado's, but that is probably to be expected from the more upscale nameplate.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-19-15 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 03:11 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 462 Likes on 291 Posts

There's no doubt in my mind that the Colorado/Canyon cabin design, materials, quality and technology are better than the current Tacoma. It's not even close.
Old 02-20-15, 07:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
There's no doubt in my mind that the Colorado/Canyon cabin design, materials, quality and technology are better than the current Tacoma. It's not even close.
Have you sat in it? Or just on the pics?
Old 02-20-15, 11:55 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Have you sat in it? Or just on the pics?
Sat in them and drove them multiple times. All the vehicles were on the list when I was buying a truck recently. I ended up with something else, but these were under consideration although I spent more time in a Tundra than a Tacoma.

Last edited by swajames; 02-21-15 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-21-15, 12:42 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow but 40k for the GMC as optioned, rather get a full-sizer.
Old 02-21-15, 08:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Wow but 40k for the GMC as optioned, rather get a full-sizer.
If I were buying a new truck at that price point, I would go for the Tundra Double Cab TRD 4X4. You can't go wrong with Toys durability and reliability. Something tells me the Ford F150 smaller turbo V6, electric steering, lower ground clearance and other things will not hold up in the long run. I was just not impressed with the smaller GM twins.
Old 02-21-15, 09:14 AM
swajames
Pole Position

If I were buying a new truck at that price point, I would go for the Tundra Double Cab TRD 4X4. You can't go wrong with Toys durability and reliability. Something tells me the Ford F150 smaller turbo V6, electric steering, lower ground clearance and other things will not hold up in the long run. I was just not impressed with the smaller GM twins.
That's the exact Tundra I drove, and it was actually the first one to be dropped from the list. It's very dated, and it's way behind the others in the segment in terms of features and technology, and while it was the cheapest of the full size trucks I drove the more expensive options for me were better value. The Tundra came comfortably last in the most recent US magazine test of the "big 4" trucks with the Ford winning, Silverado/GMC in second and the Ram in third if I remember right.

Edit - here's the test:

http://m.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2015-chevrolet-silverado-vs-2015-ford-f-150-2015-ram-1500-2014-toyota-tundra-comparison-test

Last edited by swajames; 02-21-15 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-21-15, 09:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That's the exact Tundra I drove, and it was actually the first one to be dropped from the list. It's very dated, and it's way behind the others in the segment in terms of features and technology, and while it was the cheapest of the full size trucks I drove the more expensive options for me were better value. The Tundra came comfortably last in the most recent US magazine test of the "big 4" trucks with the Ford winning, Silverado/GMC in second and the Ram in third if I remember right.
That is fair enough, but I still would rather count on the Toyota when it counted over an America product. Especially with all the new tech in the F150, it would really suck to have the electric steering fail when deep in mud on a farm. I also hear that the turbo ecoboost mileage is not as good as Ford says it is.

Now if we are discussing the HD models from the Americans, then there is no question I would trust those big rigs.
Old 02-21-15, 09:31 AM
swajames
Pole Position

That is fair enough, but I still would rather count on the Toyota when it counted over an America product. Especially with all the new tech in the F150, it would really suck to have the electric steering fail when deep in mud on a farm. I also hear that the turbo ecoboost mileage is not as good as Ford says it is.

Now if we are discussing the HD models from the Americans, then there is no question I would trust those big rigs.
Pretty hard to say what's a domestic truck these days. They're all made in North America. Funny thing was the Toyota sales guy tried to imply their truck was made in Japan and therefore much better than those made in the US. I asked him to look at the Monroney and tell me again where it was made... Then he tried to say that the engine was made in Japan... Again, a quick review of to window sticker cleared that one up.
Old 02-21-15, 10:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Pretty hard to say what's a domestic truck these days. They're all made in North America. Funny thing was the Toyota sales guy tried to imply their truck was made in Japan and therefore much better than those made in the US. I asked him to look at the Monroney and tell me again where it was made... Then he tried to say that the engine was made in Japan... Again, a quick review of to window sticker cleared that one up.
Toyota Tacoma has been built in the US since the mid 80s and the Tundra since 99, so I don't see that whole Japan point you are making. The point is that the Toyota has superior engineering and time tested reliability whereas the domeatics are a question mark. The last gen Ford Ranger and GM Canyon/Colorado prove the problem with Domestics. Not so with the Toyotas.
Old 02-21-15, 10:43 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Toyota Tacoma has been built in the US since the mid 80s and the Tundra since 99, so I don't see that whole Japan point you are making. The point is that the Toyota has superior engineering and time tested reliability whereas the domeatics are a question mark. The last gen Ford Ranger and GM Canyon/Colorado prove the problem with Domestics. Not so with the Toyotas.
The whole Japan point, rather obviously, was that the Toyota sales guy was stating that the Tundra was better than domestics as it was made in Japan.....

And no, I don't buy the superior engineering on the trucks. The Tundra is dated and well behind the curve. It is down on power, suffers from poor fuel economy and has very dated technology.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Drive / Quick Spin: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado / 2015 GMC Canyon