Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive / Quick Spin: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado / 2015 GMC Canyon

Old 02-18-15, 09:43 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Check out the new one in person and see if you find it drab and dreary.
I have been able to spend extensive time in both the new Colorado and Canyon. I'm not saying they're the most exciting interiors on the market, but I'm more stating that they're not worse than the S10/Sonoma generation that you claim is better.

The Colorado and Canyon interiors are generally what is to be expected of a thoroughly modern vehicle sold today (aside from the boring speedo/tach which I mentioned before). Yes they could choose brighter colors, but most truck owners aren't look for that and they likely wouldn't have high take rates. The ambient lighting around the controls and buttons at night is actually pretty well done. The Colorado does have a lot of hard plastics, but they seem well grained with decent panel fits/gaps.

So again, how is that S10/Sonoma generation better?
Old 02-18-15, 10:19 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 463 Likes on 292 Posts

I was recently shopping for a truck, and looked at the Colorado and Canyon. They are excellent trucks, and I agree that the comments regarding the interior are asinine. The interiors are well made, material quality is high, and the technology is good.

The problem I had with these trucks has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with utility and value. At the higher end of the Colorado and Canyon range, you're looking at pricing which is just too close to mid-spec full-size trucks which offer much more in the way of utility and capability.

I ended up buying an F150, but I thought the GM twins were excellent trucks.
Old 02-18-15, 01:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I was recently shopping for a truck, and looked at the Colorado and Canyon. They are excellent trucks, and I agree that the comments regarding the interior are asinine. The interiors are well made, material quality is high, and the technology is good.

The problem I had with these trucks has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with utility and value. At the higher end of the Colorado and Canyon range, you're looking at pricing which is just too close to mid-spec full-size trucks which offer much more in the way of utility and capability.
Unfortunately, that's what killed off the Ford Ranger in the American market...more truck for not much more money. The new Colorado/Canyon, though, generally offers more than the Ranger both in size and capability.

I ended up buying an F150, but I thought the GM twins were excellent trucks.
Congratuations. Did you get last year's F-150 or the new aluminum-bodied one?
Old 02-18-15, 02:02 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unfortunately, that's what killed off the Ford Ranger in the American market...more truck for not much more money. The new Colorado/Canyon, though, generally offers more than the Ranger both in size and capability.

Congratuations. Did you get last year's F-150 or the new aluminum-bodied one?
Thanks! In addition to the Colorado and Canyon, I looked at the new aluminum F150, the Silverado, the Sierra, the Tundra and the Ram. I was working a couple of deals on the new F150 and also a 2015 Ram, and I actually ended up stumbling across truly loaded 2014 4x4 SuperCrew at a great price and quickly jumped on that one.
Old 02-18-15, 02:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
These reviews comment that both trucks look great in person and have class leading interiors... something must really not be translating in photos, because to me, the exterior of the Colorado looks about two decades old, and the Canyon, maybe one decade. There seems to be absolutely no aggression or attitude in the Chevy, and the GMC is typical hard angles and overdone chrome everywhere.

Glad to hear that the powertrains and driving dynamics seem to be top notch, but I really don't like anything else about these two trucks.
yep, Colorado looks like it has toy quality interior or at least it is designed that way...

GMC is better... of course, model shown is almost $40k too.
Old 02-18-15, 05:58 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
yep, Colorado looks like it has toy quality interior or at least it is designed that way...

GMC is better... of course, model shown is almost $40k too.
The interiors on both are fine in person. Material quality and the overall feeling of quality in the cabins is perfectly OK.
Old 02-18-15, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The interiors on both are fine in person. Material quality and the overall feeling of quality in the cabins is perfectly OK.
Yep..........especially for a work truck.

However, there's little question that, for comfort and refinement, the newer Dodge Rams rule the roost.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-18-15 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-18-15, 06:12 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Yep..........especially for a work truck.

However, there's little question that, for comfort and refinement, the newer Dodge Rams rule the roost.
Totally agree. The interiors on those are very good. If I hadn't bought the F150 I did, I would have bought the Ram. The Laramie I worked out the deal on had a great interior and really good technology.
Old 02-18-15, 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Totally agree. The interiors on those are very good. If I hadn't bought the F150 I did, I would have bought the Ram. The Laramie I worked out the deal on had a great interior and really good technology.
I've got a pre-paid gift-card offer from Ford for a dealer test-drive on any Ford/Lincoln product. (they do that program every year at the D.C. show). Given the F-150's enormous popularity, and the huge number of buyers who purchase one each year, I'm strongly tempted to use it on a new F-150 test drive (and review). It will be interesting to see how the (average) 700 lbs. of weight saved by the new aluminum components will affect its road-manners. I have some misgivings, though, about aluminum panels in the bed being able to stand up to repeated heavy loads over time without ending up looking like a wrinkled sheet.
Old 02-18-15, 11:04 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

I've got a pre-paid gift-card offer from Ford for a dealer test-drive on any Ford/Lincoln product. (they do that program every year at the D.C. show). Given the F-150's enormous popularity, and the huge number of buyers who purchase one each year, I'm strongly tempted to use it on a new F-150 test drive (and review). It will be interesting to see how the (average) 700 lbs. of weight saved by the new aluminum components will affect its road-manners. I have some misgivings, though, about aluminum panels in the bed being able to stand up to repeated heavy loads over time without ending up looking like a wrinkled sheet.
Do it.

We must know

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 02-19-15, 10:26 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

I have some misgivings, though, about aluminum panels in the bed being able to stand up to repeated heavy loads over time without ending up looking like a wrinkled sheet.
We're getting off-topic, but I like that you think Ford has given little thought to how the aluminum panels will hold up to truck usage cycles.

Obviously this is a marketing video, but some interesting data points:

Lighter weight allows for thicker gauge materials.
Old 02-19-15, 11:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I have been able to spend extensive time in both the new Colorado and Canyon. I'm not saying they're the most exciting interiors on the market, but I'm more stating that they're not worse than the S10/Sonoma generation that you claim is better.

The Colorado and Canyon interiors are generally what is to be expected of a thoroughly modern vehicle sold today (aside from the boring speedo/tach which I mentioned before). Yes they could choose brighter colors, but most truck owners aren't look for that and they likely wouldn't have high take rates. The ambient lighting around the controls and buttons at night is actually pretty well done. The Colorado does have a lot of hard plastics, but they seem well grained with decent panel fits/gaps.

So again, how is that S10/Sonoma generation better?
The S10 and Sonoma had two different interiors that were changed up in 98. The 98 interior wasn't very good, and that is my point, the new 2015 interiors are not much better. The new ones are drab and dreary, the were depressing for a modern day vehicle that is supposed to be a 2015 model. The design was functional but not very interesting.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-19-15 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 12:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

We're getting off-topic, but I like that you think Ford has given little thought to how the aluminum panels will hold up to truck usage cycles.

Obviously this is a marketing video, but some interesting data points:

Lighter weight allows for thicker gauge materials.
I wouldn't worry too much about the bed of the new F150, the Tacoma bed has been problem free for 10 years.
Old 02-19-15, 12:09 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The S10 and Sonoma had two different interiors that were changed up in 98. The 98 interior wasn't very good, and that is my point, the new 2015 interiors are not much better. The new ones are drab and dreary, the were depressing for a modern day vehicle that is supposed to be a 2015 model. The design was functional but not very interesting.
You keep saying "drab and dreary" yet you don't more accurately explain or point out elements that make you feel this way. Trucks are first and foremost supposed to be pretty functional. I've pointed out a number of elements that are thoroughly modern and, in my opinion, well executed. Fit and panel gaps are way tighter than the generation that you're trying to compare it to. No it's not a Lexus interior, but it shouldn't be.
Old 02-19-15, 01:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You keep saying "drab and dreary" yet you don't more accurately explain or point out elements that make you feel this way. Trucks are first and foremost supposed to be pretty functional. I've pointed out a number of elements that are thoroughly modern and, in my opinion, well executed. Fit and panel gaps are way tighter than the generation that you're trying to compare it to. No it's not a Lexus interior, but it shouldn't be.
Drab and dreary, such as the colours, buttons, door panel design and the overall feel of the interior environment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Drive / Quick Spin: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado / 2015 GMC Canyon