Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2015 Subaru Outback

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Full-Review: 2015 Subaru Outback

By CL-member-request, a Review of the all-new 2015 Subaru Outback.

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outback/index.html

IN A NUTSHELL: Arguably the most successful car-based AWD raised-suspension wagon of all time.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Toyota AWD Venza, Honda AWD Crosstour, and Subaru's own Forester. The Volvo XC70 is very similar, but in a higher price-bracket. The Audi All-Road is also quite similar, but in an even higher price bracket. I did not include the typical crossover Cute-Utes (RAV-4, CR-V, Escape, etc....), because I consider them a different type of design.....shorter and higher.

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

OVERVIEW:

The ubiquitous Outback, like most of today's AWD wagons and crossovers, traces its spiritual fatherhood (though not direct lineage) to the famous AMC Eagle Wagon of 1981, which introduced the industry's first car-based, full-time all-wheel drive system with raised-suspension and a viscous center-differential to allow not only differences in side-to-side wheel rotation, but also front/rear as well. The Eagle was poorly-built (as were most American-badged vehicles of that period), but clearly a vehicle well-ahead of its time. AMC, who was Chrysler-owned then, was soon bought out by the French Company Renault, and lasted only few more years before dying out. But Subaru, and Audi with its AWD Quattro line of vehicles, went on to become the automotive masters of car-based AWD, and that system has become one of the most popular selling points in today's automotive market Today, for example, as it has for years, Subaru uses four different kinds of car-based full-time AWD, depending on the specific model and transmission.

The Outback itself was first introduced to the American market in 1995, a couple of years after Subaru made the decision to drop all front-wheel-drive (FWD) vehicles in the U.S. and concentrate only on AWD. That move turned out to be one of the best business decisions the company ever made, and set the stage for the company's well-known success in selling winter-capable vehicles. To produce the Outback, a regular low-stance Legacy Wagon, with the same drivetrains, was raised off the ground a few more inches for ground clearance and heavy snow, some macho-looking body-cllading and/or two-tone paint jobs done, two-tone alloy wheels, some equipment changes and a cold-weather package added, and, Presto...the result produced instant success and explosive sales. I myself owned an Outback for almost seven years (as many of you on CL know), and it was reliable, though not quite as reliable as I would have liked). Nothing stopped that car in the winter....NOTHING. I once took it from my house through a sleet-storm of pure ice-pellets six inches deep, and still made it to the Metro station with only a minimum of wheel-spin. I've had it in the aftermath of two-foot blizzards and it just scoffed at them....just as if on dry pavement. There's a reason why this is the official U.S.Ski-team vehicle.

Later versions of the Outback, though, lost a number of their nice features through cost-cutting, such as the two-tone wheels, two-tone paint packages, L.L. Bean trims, NOAA Weather radios for storm-updates, and the effective limited-slip rear differentials (replaced by electronic torque-distribution). Body sheet metal thinned, and drivetrain choices dwindled. 2.5L flat-four non-turbo models from the late 1990s trough the early 2000s were plagued with a fairly high number of head-gasket failures (Subaru extended the engine warranty to 8/80 on those models if a special modified engine-coolant was used). Nevertheless, the Outback remained popular (in fact, recent sales have continued to rise despite the feature-dropping). Toyota and Honda, a few years ago, introduced the Venza and Crosstour rivals to try and cash in on some of the Outback's high sales. But they have had only limited success so far....partly because neither of those two designs are as space-efficient as the Outback.

The 2015 model year brings the all-new, latest-generation Outback, though most of the the exterior and interior, with a couple of exceptions, aren't radically different from before (more on that later). Four versions of the Outback are offered for the American market...2.5i Base/Premium/Limited and 3.6R Limited. Only one transmission is now offered...the CVT (continuously-variable transmission), with true 3-pedal manual and all torque-converter automatics dropped. All turbo models are gone, having been dropped a few years ago. 2.5i models get the ubiquitous 2.5L non-turbo flat-four, which was recently re-designed but kept the same displacement....it produces 175 HP and 174 ft-lbs. of torque. 3.6R Limited models get the also-ubiquitous 3.6L non-turbo flat-six, with 256 HP and 247 ft-lbs.of torque (not very impressive power for a six when compared to many similar-displacement rivals). It's odd, but the more Subaru decontents the Outback, the better it sells....in spite of higher prices this year. Go figure. Those prices, this year, BTW, start at $24,895 for 2.5i base models and run to $32,995 for 3.6R Limited models.

For the static-review, I looked over several different base, Premium, and Limited models, and, for the test-drive, a 2.5i Limited version, as that was the version the CL member requested.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

BASE PRICE: $29,995

OPTIONS:

Moonroof/NAV/Keyless-Entry/Push-Button start: $2195

Rear Cargo Net: $39

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $850

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $33,079

DRIVETRAIN: AWD, Horizontally-opposed 2.5L flat-four, 175 HP @ 5800 RPM, Torque 174 Ft-lbs. @ 4000 RPM, CVT (Continuously-Variable) Transmission with 6-speed Sport-shift manual mode.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 25 City, 33 Highway

EXTERIOR COLOR: Wilderness Green Metallic

INTERIOR: Ivory Leather

PLUSSES: (+)

Smooth (but not quiet) engine.

Smooth ride, even over bumps.

Relatively good road/wind noise control.

Firm, positive-feeling power steering.

Proven reliable AWD system.

Excellent underhood layout with the 2.5L (not the case with the 3.6L).

Genrally good paint jobs.

Decent but uninspiring exterior paint-color choice.

Clear, easy-to-read gauges.

Simple, easy-to-use controls/*****, except for the video.

Excellent-to-superb stereo sound quality.

(Mostly) good interior hardware.

Relatively easy front/rear access.

Adequate front and rear headroom for fairly tall persons.

OK legroom in the rear.

Well-finished cargo area.

Well-designed wheel wells for easy cleaning.

Mild off-road capability (but this is not a Jeep).

Many factory/dealer accessories available.

MINUSES: (-)

Marginal power-to-weight ratio with the 2.5L four.

Jumpy throttle from rest.

Noticeable body roll with sharp steering inputs.

Some CVT motorboating/rubber-banding.

Somewhat mushy brake pedal.

Brake-pedal location not ideal for large fee

Engine-access needlessly blocked on 3.6L by a too-large plastic cover.

No standard body-side molding (but available as an accessory).

Front seats not particularly comfortable.

Flimsy power-mirror ****.

Extremely flimsy latch for the console-compatment lid.

Temporary spare tire/wheel instead of a real one.

Hulk-Hogan grade trunk/hatch lid.

Car-based AWD can sometimes mean complex flat-tire-changes/restrictions and AWD disconnection.

Significant price increase for 2015.

EXTERIOR:

As you first walk up to the new 2015 Outback and view it, the broad general outline and styling doesn't seem to have changed much from the last-generation 2010-2014 models, as most of the body panels have only minor revisions. Perhaps the most noticeable exterior change is the new, larger, hexagonal grille...as many auto manufacturers are moving to larger, more pronounced grilles on their new and/or redesigned models. The exterior sheet metal seems fairly solid (about the same grade as the 2010-2014 models), but not as solid as the Outbacks built before then. Nine exterior paint colors are offered (a fairly wide choice) with Venetian Red, Crystal White Pearl, and Lapis Blue for those who want something more than funeral-home shades....I'd probably choose the White Pearl. The paint jobs themselves seem pretty well-done, except for some very minor orange-peel texture on some of the darker colors. Around the entire base of the car, on the lower body, is the same black vinyl/plastic body cladding (with the OUTBACK logo on it) as was found on the last-generation 2010-2014 models...but the days of the TRUE two-tone painted Outbacks died back in 2010. The nice body-cladding, though, gives it a partial two-tone effect (except with black or dark gray paint), and, of course, helps prevent damage from road debris and abrasives. Front/rear metallic-trim bumper guards are either standard/optional (and also available as accessories), depending on the trim version.

There are no standard body-side moldings to help prevent parking-lot dings. But, if you are willing to open your wallet some more, Subaru will sell you a nice well-designed factory set as a dealer-accessory for $245 per web site (though one on the lot with the factory-installed moulding on its price sticker showed $285 for some reason). Or, you can do what I did with my Verano, and just go to a local auto-parts store and get an inexpensive aftermarket molding that you simply measure, trim, and stick on yourself. It's not a difficult job, and can be done with very simple tools. Before you ask, no, I absolutely will NOT own a car without the moldings.....there are simply too many careless people, though moldlings alone doesn't guarantee no damage or dings.

The wheel-wells, even with relatively large and high-profile tires, have plenty of room between the tires and wells for sticking a hose inside of them for proper cleaning after driving in mud or snow. (Proper cleaning, of course, prevents damage from salt, and other corrosive agents). Automatic car washes usually don't get up in the wells properly, and wide-gap designs like this make it easy to properly do so with a hose. On the roof, the same clever swing-crossbars that lock in place and move out of the way for easy washing/waxing are carried over from the last-generation model. Other specialized roof-attachments to carry specific items like canoes, bikes, etc..... are available as dealer-accessories. On the outside, the doors generally close with a precise but not very solid sound.....sitting in the car, they close with a more firmly-solid thunk. The slick-swiveling/locking twin side mirror housings are black on the base model, body-color standard on Premium, and body-color with integrated turn-signals optional on Premium and standard on Limited models. The useful electric de-icers for the wiper-blades and mirrors (part of the All-Weather package) is standard on Premium/Limited models, and not available on base models (I had that feature on my own Outback, and liked it very much).

But, all in all, not a very big change on the outside from the last-generation, except for the grille.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the fairly solid-feeling hood, and there is a nice insulation pad on the underside. Convenient twin gas struts hold the hood up, so you don't have to fumble with a manual prop-rod. The 2.5L flat-four fits in nicely, the underhood layout is excellent, and the lack of a plastic engine cover means that many things are much easier-accessed. The engine's low, flat design and low center of gravity also helps to counteract the vehicle's center of gravity from its relatively high stance, for better, more car-like handling. Unfortunately, the 3.6L flat-six, while also fitting in quite well, has a huge plastic cover that hides everything on top, so you don't have the easy-access you do with the four. On both versions, the battery is up front, on the right, uncovered, and easily accessible. Also on both versions, fluid-reservoirs, dipsticks, and filler caps are readily accessible. The Anti-Lock brake computer and its lines/fittings are easily accessible, on the left, uncovered. On the 2.5L four, the oil filter is very conveniently located on top of the engine, right up front, and a snap to reach an change.

INTERIOR:

The new interior, especially with the dash and controls, though using a lot of the same trim-materials as in the old version, has been extensively restyled to more closely resemble that of the other high-volume Subarus...the Impreza and Forester. But a number of the old characteristics inside remain. First, of course, the same generally good front/rear headroom has been kept, even with the moonroof housing. The same ivory-colored fabric headliner for the ceiling and sun-visors is carried forward from the last generation, as is the same leather and fabric materials for door-panel trims. The (generally) same flat, relatively firm Ho-Hum leather front seats with so-so comfort and a lack of thigh-support (for tall persons) are also carried forward....but the leather generally has a nice decent-quality feel to it. A surprising addition, even on base Outbacks, is standard reclining rear seats....which don't just fold down for added cargo room, but also recline backward so rear-seat passengers can relax. Two fails inside are the flimsy-feeling, wobbly twirl-**** to switch from the left/right side-mirror adjustment and the even flimsier-feeling latch/lock for the flip-up center-console-compartment lid. But most of the rest of the interior hardware seems well-done and of decent quality. As before, base model and Premium Outbacks get brushed-silver metallic dash/door trim, and Limited models get wood-tone trim and brushed metal....both well-applied. The biggest change inside from the previous-generation, as aforementioned, is in the dash and controls, which now much more closely mimic that of Imprezas and Foresters for a Subaru family theme. The electronic tab for the parking brake has been moved from the lower-left dash to the console.....a much more convenient location, IMO. The fore-aft shift-lever for the CVT remains (I generally prefer a fore/aft motion to those annoying zig-zags). The climate-control ***** and buttons are in the lower-center dash, with the video screen and controls above them. The same nice three-spoke sport-steering wheel remains, with its integrated spoke-controls....though, like the last generation, it now lacks the nice polishedl-wood upper-rim found on the older top-level L.L. Bean and Limited versions (it was real wood, not fake). The basic control layout for the *****/buttons is quite simple, easy to use, and, IMO, should be one of the standards of this class. The gauges, as usual for Subarus, are clear and easy to read. And the stereo sound quality was what you would expect of a Harmon-Kardin unit......superb, although the lesser-grade unit in the Premium model also sounded excellent.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

The trunk/hatch lid in some versions can require some effort to manually raise and lower.....even with the regular exercise that I get, lifting it verifies the almost inevitable loss of muscle-mass that comes with advancing age (and I, of course, don't use steroids). It probably won't be a big deal for a healthy adult, but older, weaker adults, smaller children, and those with arthritis/disabilities might have an issue. A power-activated hatch lid with automaitc-close and height-memory feature is standard on Limited models, optional on Premium models, and not available on the base version. But the Ford Escape, IMO, has the best design...if your hands and arms are full of packages (and the vehicle's key is nearby), all you do is swipe one of your two feet back and forth under the rear-bumper, and a sensor automatically lifts the hatch for you. I'd like to see other automakers adopt that, but perhaps Ford might (?) have a temporary patent/copyright protection right now on that sensor that prevents any other use.

OK....so much for the hatch lid. Once it's up, you are treated, thanks to the relatively conservative squared-off roofline and large rear-quarter windows, to a nice, relatively roomy cargo area with good outward visibility to the rear. The split-rear seats, of course, fold down to increase the cargo area even more. My test-car had the optional ($39) rear cargo net. Premium and Limited models get a nice standard removable cargo-cover to hide the trunk's contents from prying eyes. it is not available on the Base version from the factory, or listed as a separate accessory, but,if necessary, you might (?) talk the dealership into ordering one for you through the parts-department or tossing one in as part of the deal...I'd consider it. All versions of the Outback come with a nice vinyl custom-molded cargo tray that covers the entire trunk floor and protects the carpet from dirt, water, and spills (a Subaru tradition on a number of vehicles). On the trunk floor itself, and the walls, is a nice (for this vehicle-class) grade of fairly-plush-feeling black carpet. Under the trunk floor lies the usual temporary spare tire/wheel instead of a real one (even more reason to supply a real one is that the Outback is capable of mild off-road use). Inside the wheel is a large styrofoam multi-compartment insert with the jacking tools and a few other items in it.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the ubiquitous 2.5L flat-four with, depending on trim version and Package, either a conventional side-column ignition switch/key or an engine START/STOP button. The engine comes to life smoothly, but not particularly quietly. The idle-noise comes from both the traditional design of Subaru flat-engines plus the the relatively high 1800 RPM fast-idle speed. A small tap of the gas pedal, though (somewhat like in the old carburetor days), lowers the fast-idle speed and quiets it down a little. Idle speed, of course, continues to drop as the engine warm, but engine noise under acceleration is still audible.....this is not a Lexus or Cadillac V8. The engine's 174 ft-lbs, of torque, even with the efficient CVT transmission, is a little wimpy for a car of this size and weight (3500-3900 lbs, depending on model/options), particularly with AWD, though there is adequate power for most sedate around-town driving and with lighter loads on relatively level surfaces. For work with heavier loads, though, or for power-sapping high altitudes as in the Rockies, though, I'd go for either the 3.6R flat-six version or a Turbo 2.5L Forester XT, as turbo Outbacks are no longer offered in the American market.

The CVT is quite efficient in producing some excellent EPA mileage-figures for a relatively large AWD vehicle (even more so in the smaller lighter Impreza). But, overall, it was not the most seamless unit of its type that I've sampled. From a stop, it tends to be jumpy off the mark just as you toe into the throttle, then exhibit some motor boating/rubber-band characteristics as more is asked of it at higher speeds. For those not familiar with the terms "motor boating", it refers to the tendency of CVTs to allow engine RPM to quickly increase and the engine to spin away at first for a second or two without much forward motion (like an outboard motorboat) and for the combination of both that and the reverse effect ("rubber-banding") as the gas pedal is pushed and released. The shift lever itself has a nice fore/aft motion instead of the annoying Subaru zig-zags of years ago. There is also a Sport/Manual mode (with the shift lever all the way back and to the left) in which the CVT's drive-belt is programmed for six individual Sport/manual shift positions. These positions are selected by nice-feeling paddle-shifters on the string column...left-paddle for downshift, right-paddle for upshift....the lever it self does not manual-shift.

The chassis/suspension and tires are an interesting mixture of sport-feel, comfort, and responsiveness. Electric power steering often has a numb feel to it (newer BMW products, in particular, have been criticized for this, compared to their former superb units power-steering). The new Outback's power steering has a nice, firm, sport-feel to it (perhaps too firm an effort for some older people with weak arms). Steering response was about medium...not particularly quick or slow. Despite the engine's relatively low center of gravity, the vehicle's relatively high stance (noticeably higher than in the older Outback I owned), long suspension-travel from the raised-underpinnings, and sedate high profile tires (60 or 65-series, depending on trim-model) produce some noticeable body roll. But those sedate characteristics also produce a smooth comfortable ride, even over bumps and torn-up pavement. Outbacks had long been known for a smooth ride (including mine), but then Subaru, inexplicably, stiffened things up a year or two ago on the Outback, at the tail-end of the last-generation model. I guess enough customers complained about that (like they did with the non-folding side-mirrors in 2010) that they quickly rectified it in a year or two. Road noise and wind noise are generally well controlled, even on coarse road surfaces, but, again, you still know you are not riding in a tomb-quiet Lexus LS460 or Mercedes S-Class. I was not terribly impressed with the brakes, which, though adequate for most driving, exhibited some mushiness in the pedal-response. The brake pedal itself was located too high in relation to the gas pedal, for my big size-15 clown-shoe to easily go from gas to brake without catching on the edge of the brake pedal. I don't know why so many auto manufacturers persist with designs like that, as I experience that problem in probably three-quarters of all the cars I test-drive.

THE VERDICT:

Although some of the Outback's best features and designs (IMO) are gone or changed due to cost-cutting, Subaru still has an excellent, versatile, popular, and generally reliable all-wheel-drive wagon that, if I still wanted a vehicle of this type, I would not hesitate for an instant to take home and park in my condo-space (indeed, which I did for almost seven years). No, I'm not being biased, either, just because I owned one. It would be difficult for almost any objective auto-reviewer, even those who like to clown around like Jeremy Clarkson and Tom/Ray (Click and Clack) Magliozzi, to deny this vehicle's usefulness, sensibility, and all-around use. Pricing has gone up (it increased about $1500 or so for 2015)....but it still is considered a reasonably-priced vehicle, especially for the base model. Other competitors like the Venza and Crosstour also have good reliability (and the Crosstour, IMO, as a Honda product, is better-built than the Outback). But neither offer as overall as space-efficient a design or as efficient an AWD system as the outback (or as good rearward visibility, for that matter). You can spend more money (substantially more, in some cases) and get an upmarket European competitor like the Volvo XC70 Cross-Country or Audi All-Road, which will probably do the job just as well on an icy road-surface. But neither one has quite the Outback's interior space, neither has Subaru reliability according to Consumer Reports, and both are substantially more expensive to service.

But that doesn't mean the Outback is perfect by any means. As usual, there is the list of negatives I always do for any review, along with the positive features. The Outback, IMO has two significant drawbacks. First, the 2.5L four simply doesn't have enough spunk for a carful of passengers/cargo or in steep hills/mountains....and Subaru didn't help things any by dropping the 2.5L turbo Outback, forcing some potential customers who don't want the 3.6L six to look at the Forester XT instead. Second, both the leather and cloth front seats, as with some previous Outback models, are relatively flat, hard, unsupporting, and uncomfortable.....Subaru, IMO, should take some lessons from Buick on how to do well-padded, comfy seats worthy of an all-day cruise. (and, no, I'm not being biased, either, just because I currently own a Buick).

So, Subaru does have some work for Outback improvements...not the least of which, IMO, is to bring back some of the features that they once had some time ago and lost. But, even so, this vehicle does give you a lot of good things at once, and is a heck of a good way to spend one's automotive dollar.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-24-14 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-24-14, 05:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Oregonians love their Subaru's
Old 09-24-14, 05:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Oregonians love their Subaru's
Subies are especially popular in New England, other parts of the Northeast, the Northern Rockies, and parts of the West Coast.....yes, in Oregon, as you indicate. However, in the Snow Belt states of the Midwest/Great Lakes, American-badged all-wheel drive vehicles seem to dominate, even though the Outback itself is built in Lafayette, Indiana....with American labor.

My own late uncle, who lived in Indiana, and I had an argument about this once (he has since passed away). He once chided my brother, who had owned three Hondas, a Mazda, a Subaru, and a Kia as being "Un-American". I wasn't about to let that comment go unanswered, especially from someone in my own family.....so I pointed out that Subarus were made in his home state (IN), Hondas in Marysville, OH (right next door), and Mazda (at that time) in Flat Rock, MI.....also right next door. I didn't hear any complaints from him after that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-25-14 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-25-14, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned review: Lexus NX...when it debuts in my area.
Old 09-25-14, 10:18 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice review Mike!

one of my favorite logos as well....
Attached Thumbnails MM Full-Review: 2015 Subaru Outback-img_20120213_140502.jpg  
Old 09-25-14, 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
Nice review Mike!

one of my favorite logos as well....
Thanks.

Because of my previous Ouback ownership (which is common CL knowledge), I had to try and be extra-careful to stay objective and not be biased.
Old 09-25-14, 12:49 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Mike, thanks for your Outback review. I've had my '15 Outback Limited for a month now and so far I am pretty impressed with it. Hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings, but I have owned a '10 RX350 and a '13 RX450h and could not get used to the rattles. I test drove several Outbacks before buying mine and none had a rattle. Sure the RX has more power, but I find the CVT in the Outback, which mimics shift points in a regular automatic, to be quieter and drones less than the RX 450h and an ES 300h I also had. There are many clever features in the infotainment system and I find the voice commands more logical and the touch screen easier to use than the controller in my '13 GS350. Of course each of our backsides are different, but mine fits well in the driver's seat and for long distance drives, more comfortable than my GS. I'll admit the 2.5 boxer is low on power, especially for anyone planning to tow anything heavier than a wheelbarrow, but it has plenty enough juice to easily keep up with Interstate traffic. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a versatile people & pet hauler, especially if you like to check out camping areas with less than ideal roads.

Mike
Old 09-25-14, 04:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP
Mike, thanks for your Outback review. I've had my '15 Outback Limited for a month now and so far I am pretty impressed with it. Hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings, but I have owned a '10 RX350 and a '13 RX450h and could not get used to the rattles. I test drove several Outbacks before buying mine and none had a rattle. Sure the RX has more power, but I find the CVT in the Outback, which mimics shift points in a regular automatic, to be quieter and drones less than the RX 450h and an ES 300h I also had. There are many clever features in the infotainment system and I find the voice commands more logical and the touch screen easier to use than the controller in my '13 GS350. Of course each of our backsides are different, but mine fits well in the driver's seat and for long distance drives, more comfortable than my GS. I'll admit the 2.5 boxer is low on power, especially for anyone planning to tow anything heavier than a wheelbarrow, but it has plenty enough juice to easily keep up with Interstate traffic. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a versatile people & pet hauler, especially if you like to check out camping areas with less than ideal roads.

Mike
To be fair your '10 was conceived as one of the first L-Finesse SUVs which while styling became more dramatic, more tech and safety, L-Finesse brought with it much cost cutting like the cabin. True the third gen has more noise than the 2nd gen it replaced. '13 didn't do anything but add a spindle, new tech and revised Remote Touch and larger steering wheel. Didn't change of the console plastics. 4RX should be more luxurious.
Old 09-25-14, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mike, thanks for your Outback review.
Sure...glad you liked it.

I've had my '15 Outback Limited for a month now and so far I am pretty impressed with it.
Congratulations. PM me with your mailing address if you want a small bottle of SCRATCH OUT for it. I recommend that product to keep the paint nice.
Old 09-26-14, 12:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Mike
thanks for your experiences! agree it's a very practical, pretty comfortable, but not flashy vehicle. subaru makes very reliable and solid powertrains even if they're not particularly smooth or quiet. i would presume a new outback is quieter than ones i've driven in the past though. the awd is wonderful in rainy and snowy conditions!!!!
Old 09-26-14, 02:13 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks for your experiences! agree it's a very practical, pretty comfortable, but not flashy vehicle. subaru makes very reliable and solid powertrains even if they're not particularly smooth or quiet. i would presume a new outback is quieter than ones i've driven in the past though. the awd is wonderful in rainy and snowy conditions!!!!
Buying my Outback was a real leap of faith, having owned Lexus vehicles since 1993, my SC300 manual. You are right about Subaru's powertrains not being the smoothest nor quietest, but the 2.5 boxer gets the job done and is extremely smooth & quiet on the Interstate. The Outback Limited is not flashy, as you said, but also not offensive. It is semi-luxurious on the inside with soft padded armrests, dash and heated leather seats (front & rear). Many Subaru dealers will sell at invoice or less, making them great values. The infotainment system is much better than in the past and their collaboration with Toyota is showing. There are a couple of areas where they are still behind the times, but because they are becoming more mainstream, I can see their focus broadening.

Mike
Old 09-26-14, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Buying my Outback was a real leap of faith, having owned Lexus vehicles since 1993, my SC300 manual. You are right about Subaru's powertrains not being the smoothest nor quietest, but the 2.5 boxer gets the job done and is extremely smooth & quiet on the Interstate. The Outback Limited is not flashy, as you said, but also not offensive. It is semi-luxurious on the inside with soft padded armrests, dash and heated leather seats (front & rear). Many Subaru dealers will sell at invoice or less, making them great values. The infotainment system is much better than in the past and their collaboration with Toyota is showing. There are a couple of areas where they are still behind the times, but because they are becoming more mainstream, I can see their focus broadening.

Mike
Do you find the front seats comfortable? While the ones I have seen in most Outbacks are adequate and not exactly torture-racks, for a person my size (6' 2" and quite heavy), I still don't find them particularly comfortable (firm, flat cushions with little thigh support). I also found that the case in the 2006 Outback I owned......though the car was so versatile and useful, especial in winter, that the flat hard seat was something I was willing to overlook.

Of course, if you are physically smaller than me (as many people are), the front seats may be more to your liking....if you like a firm cushion.
Old 09-26-14, 08:56 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Do you find the front seats comfortable? While the ones I have seen in most Outbacks are adequate and not exactly torture-racks, for a person my size (6' 2" and quite heavy), I still don't find them particularly comfortable (firm, flat cushions with little thigh support). I also found that the case in the 2006 Outback I owned......though the car was so versatile and useful, especial in winter, that the flat hard seat was something I was willing to overlook.

Of course, if you are physically smaller than me (as many people are), the front seats may be more to your liking....if you like a firm cushion.
Guess I'm at the other end of the spectrum at 5'6", 145 lbs. I have made a few 3-5 hour drives and found the driver's seat very comfortable, with good lumbar adjustments. Sadly the passenger seat cannot be raised and sits a little lower than it needs to be because of the taller roof. I actually find the seats softer than my '13 GS. The wide, nicely padded armrests on the doors and center console help in the comfort category. The door armrests on the GS are very narrow, hard, slant downward so they don't offer much support. Of course, as you mentioned, seats fit everyone's physique differently, so there are as many opinions as there are body types.