Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac to receive new naming structure.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-14, 12:57 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I completely disagree. These gauges are some of the most unnatractive, uninspired gauges I've seen in a modern car. The lighting is better in that picture, but again my question for you is have you driven a Cadillac equipped with these gauges out in normal daylight? I have driven several, and in real life out in the sunlight they look more like the picture I posted than your picture.

I'm honestly not kidding, I would pass on a car just because of that cluster alone. A sport sedan should have a nice set of clear, well marked, elegant and functional gauges.
Do you think Cadillac made those gauges so bad in hopes of people going for the nicer set up?
Old 10-12-14, 02:01 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Not really, here are some more examples and they look good

Optional, as a part of what package? If you have to spend $3,000 on an option package to get the trick gauges, then it really doesn't do much for arguing that the car has a high level gauge cluster.

Even the Cadillac website doesn't show the gauge cluster you posted pix of in its ATS photo gallery:
Attached Thumbnails Cadillac to receive new naming structure.-ats-dash.jpg  

Last edited by tex2670; 10-12-14 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-12-14, 02:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Actually I chose that picture because to my eyes it most accurately represents what the gauges look like when driving around in bright sun during the day. Have you driven a Cadillac with that cluster? Its also the layout and the half moon speedometer. Doesn't get any less sporty or enthusiastic than that.
yeah, it is not possible for plastic to be pitch black when the sun hits it... it is going to look dark gray and not pitch black like in those photoshops.

"upgraded" ones look nice... "base" ones look like something from a Camry, but with worse design.
Old 10-12-14, 03:40 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Gauges are pretty bad, but you posted a picture that was taken with a potato instead of a camera.

There is also the optional lcd dispay which is much nicer

These look like the pictures of the IP on the CTS and XTS from Cadillac's website; they don't look like any picture I've ever seen of an ATS.

ATS Premium 3.6 top of the line, IP at 1:50 in this video:
Old 10-12-14, 04:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Really? is suck a bad word now .

Cue is pretty bad right, however it should be better in the next gen cars. I don't think its dragging the brands reputation.
Most of the reviewers do. It seems to be the #1 complaint in most write-ups.

Remember how bad iDrive was when it first came out? It didnt stop bmw you from selling any less cars.
That's where brand-image sells. People bought BMWs in spite of the I-Drive and the quirky electronic shifter, simply because of the blue-and-white propeller on the hood, and the fact that, in some ways, the BMW chassis was the ultimate driving machine. They put up with the I-Drive's quirks to get those superb road manners, which, in some BMW models (like the 335i) could border on addicting.

Whether that will ultimately happen with Cadillac, of course, is a subject for discussion and debate.
Old 10-12-14, 04:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Really? is suck a bad word now .

Cue is pretty bad right, however it should be better in the next gen cars.I don't think its dragging the brands reputation. Remember how bad iDrive was when it first came out? It didnt stop bmw you from selling any less cars.
There is nothing wrong with CUE, however, the big problem is that CUE is totally different than what the tier 1 brands are offering. If you want to be considered with the others, you have to stack up like the competitors.
Old 10-12-14, 05:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Do you think Cadillac made those gauges so bad in hopes of people going for the nicer set up?
Knowing GM that wouldn't surprise me, and its very short sighted...especially given that the TFT cluster isn't available at all on the ATS.

To be clear, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the TFT cluster, its great. Its the base analog cluster I'm talking about.

Originally Posted by spwolf
"base" ones look like something from a Camry, but with worse design.
Gauges on the Camry are WAY better!

Simple, elegant, clear...

Old 10-13-14, 05:06 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I completely disagree. These gauges are some of the most unnatractive, uninspired gauges I've seen in a modern car. The lighting is better in that picture, but again my question for you is have you driven a Cadillac equipped with these gauges out in normal daylight? I have driven several, and in real life out in the sunlight they look more like the picture I posted than your picture.

I'm honestly not kidding, I would pass on a car just because of that cluster alone. A sport sedan should have a nice set of clear, well marked, elegant and functional gauges.
I completely agree!

Who knows. But the real problem is there is no nicer set up available for the ATS. You can only get the digital gauges on the CTS/XTS like SW13GS said above.
Old 10-13-14, 09:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There is nothing wrong with CUE, however, the big problem is that CUE is totally different than what the tier 1 brands are offering. If you want to be considered with the others, you have to stack up like the competitors.
While most of these systems require a period to get used to how they work, and what menus contain what functions, there's not "nothing" wrong with CUE. The concept that certain buttons don't "appear" until your finger is near the screen is a major flaw in any system like this. To have to look down at the screen while you are waiting for additional buttons to appear on the screen makes no sense whatsoever. It may be cool for the next iPad, but not for a moving vehicle.